Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Packers, Bucs Were Close To Agreeing On Favre Trade? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

michael89156

Hall of Famer

#15 : July 27, 2008, 03:16:12 PM

Farve has to agree to any trade......so he is not going to show up anywhere if he does not want to play there.....he can nix the deal before it is even finalized.

#16 : July 27, 2008, 03:19:33 PM

And Brett is acting like the biggest bum in the world, if you ask me...

No one asked!!!

Lets get it done Bruce. I've got some taunting to do!!!!!

MBF

Hall of Famer

#17 : July 27, 2008, 03:22:02 PM

The only thing I'm worried about is that Brett Favre might not want to play for the Bucs.  What if we trade for him and he gets here and decides that he doesn't want to play for us and retires again?  Also, if we get Favre, I would still want to keep Jeff Garcia.
 But Jeff played well last year.  
Define well. :D

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#18 : July 27, 2008, 03:25:26 PM

after D brooks came out and said garcia was our QB... or something like that, in an interview... i think that the bucs realized that we are ok with favre or garcia... and slowed down trade talks.

You think the Buc's are making QB personnel decisions based on what Derrick Brooks said in an interview?

michael89156

Hall of Famer

#19 : July 27, 2008, 03:25:57 PM

He just wants to play some ball.       If a deal is announced, you can be sure he has already agreed to it.

#20 : July 27, 2008, 03:28:52 PM

The Packers are thought to be holding out for a conditional draft pick that could escalate to a first-rounder if Favre plays a certain number of games.

That "certain number of games" had better be nineteen.

#21 : July 27, 2008, 03:29:13 PM

The Glazers are seeing $$$$$$$$$.... and the impact that he'd have on the franchise. It'll get done.

Who said they don't get involved in the running of the team?

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#22 : July 27, 2008, 03:34:29 PM

I'll cry my eyes out if we sent a second round pick.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#23 : July 27, 2008, 03:35:54 PM

And that is one of the reasons why I sort of don't get this lovefrest for Brett, espescially considering how people were railing on Garcia for wanting a pay raise. I mean, BRett is obviously a better QB than Jeff is. But Jeff played well last year. The Bucs played well last year. And Brett is acting like the biggest bum in the world, if you ask me...

Brett is doing what many other players have done. In fact, one other player retired five seasons in a row,
only to change his mind every time. Stop trying to make this such a unique situation and Favre such a
bad guy. It's not and he's not.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8097dce2&template=with-video&confirm=true

The late Reggie White announced his retirement before the 1998 season, changed his mind the next day, played another year and announced his retirement again. This time, he sat out a season, returned for one with the Carolina Panthers and finally retired for good on his third try. Hall of Fame tackle Forrest Gregg retired five times -- after the 1965, '68, '69, '70 and '71 seasons -- but didn't follow through until after playing one final season in Dallas. The immortal Don Hutson announced his retirement before each of his last three seasons, only to change his mind each time. Before his last year, 1945, he didn't commit to playing until just 48 hours before the opener. Hutson also considered retiring before the 1939 season, but was coaxed back and reported to camp nine days late.

In fact, Vince Lombardi's retirement as coach of the Packers and Favre's as a player have followed parallel tracks. Lombardi announced his retirement in an emotional press conference soon after Super Bowl II and essentially cited burnout as the reason. And, by all accounts, he regretted his decision by the time training camp arrived five months later. When the 1968 season ended, he asked out of his contract as general manager of the Packers and bolted to Washington to coach again.

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer

#24 : July 27, 2008, 03:36:20 PM

after D brooks came out and said garcia was our QB... or something like that, in an interview... i think that the bucs realized that we are ok with favre or garcia... and slowed down trade talks.

You think the Buc's are making QB personnel decisions based on what Derrick Brooks said in an interview?

Is that sarcasm?

Bruce allen is notorious for asking veteran players and other people around the orginaztion for their opinions.

bruce allen would definetly make a descion based on what DB said... along with other people that play for the team, and inside the office.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#25 : July 27, 2008, 03:37:16 PM

The Glazers are seeing $$$$$$$$$.... and the impact that he'd have on the franchise. It'll get done.

Who said they don't get involved in the running of the team?

that is true. The Glazers would rake in money if Favre were traded here. The jersey sales alone.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#26 : July 27, 2008, 03:39:21 PM

Is that sarcasm?

Bruce allen is notorious for asking veteran players and other people around the orginaztion for their opinions.

bruce allen would definetly make a descion based on what DB said... along with other people that play for the team, and inside the office.

No he wouldn't. He'd take it the opinion of several vets into consideration but it wouldn't solely be based
on that.

#27 : July 27, 2008, 03:42:51 PM

And at this stage of his career, I see DB giving the politically corrent answer.....hence his comment that Jerramy Stevens is a "special teammate". Of course he's gonna back Garcia right now and if/when Favre arrives, he'll back him as well.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#28 : July 27, 2008, 03:44:06 PM

Is that sarcasm?

No, no it wasn't.

Asking someone's opinion privately and taking their thoughts into consideration is completely different than changing their plans on personnel based on an interview of a player, which is what you said happened.

I'm sure Allen takes all thoughts into consideration, but you said he changed plans based on Brooks' interview and I can't imagine that is what happened.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#29 : July 27, 2008, 03:47:39 PM

New info. (not about the Bucs) in this ESPN.com article.

If this is accurate, it makes the Packers look like fools. He can't come back and compete for the
starting job?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3507141

Favre admitted in a telephone interview that he did not report to the Packers' camp Sunday with the rest of the team in part because general manager Ted Thompson pleaded with him to delay his arrival.

Such is the drama that continues to build around Favre.

He offered to compete for his old job but was told that wasn't possible.

He's open to a trade but not just to the New York Jets or Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

He's hoping commissioner Roger Goodell can mediate the impasse that he has reached with the Packers.

"I asked Ted [Saturday], 'Am I welcome in the building if I report?' and Ted was just about shattered," said Favre in a telephone interview. "He said, 'Brett, you can't do that -- you'll get me fired.' I told him I'm not trying to get anybody fired. So Ted asked me to let the guys report and let's try to resolve this over the next two or three days."

Consequently, Favre did not fax a letter he has signed to request his reinstatement as an active player to the league office on Saturday. That did not sit well with Favre's wife Deanna or his agent, James "Bus" Cook.

"Deanna, Bus, everyone here [in Mississippi] says, 'You're so stupid, letting [the Packers] play you like this," said Favre. "They want me to get in there now. I may wait until Tuesday or so."
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Packers, Bucs Were Close To Agreeing On Favre Trade? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools