Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Packers, Bucs Were Close To Agreeing On Favre Trade? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

MBF

Hall of Famer

#30 : July 27, 2008, 03:51:45 PM

Thanks for the link Joe, I wanted to know what kind of tool Bruce is dealing with.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#31 : July 27, 2008, 03:51:50 PM

"Close" to agreeing?  

See:  horseshoes and hand grenades

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#32 : July 27, 2008, 03:52:06 PM

i love how its spinning to the packers are mistreating brett favre.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#33 : July 27, 2008, 03:52:26 PM

New info. (not about the Bucs) in this ESPN.com article.

If this is accurate, it makes the Packers look like fools. He can't come back and compete for the
starting job?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3507141

Favre admitted in a telephone interview that he did not report to the Packers' camp Sunday with the rest of the team in part because general manager Ted Thompson pleaded with him to delay his arrival.

Such is the drama that continues to build around Favre.

He offered to compete for his old job but was told that wasn't possible.

He's open to a trade but not just to the New York Jets or Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

He's hoping commissioner Roger Goodell can mediate the impasse that he has reached with the Packers.

"I asked Ted [Saturday], 'Am I welcome in the building if I report?' and Ted was just about shattered," said Favre in a telephone interview. "He said, 'Brett, you can't do that -- you'll get me fired.' I told him I'm not trying to get anybody fired. So Ted asked me to let the guys report and let's try to resolve this over the next two or three days."

Consequently, Favre did not fax a letter he has signed to request his reinstatement as an active player to the league office on Saturday. That did not sit well with Favre's wife Deanna or his agent, James "Bus" Cook.

"Deanna, Bus, everyone here [in Mississippi] says, 'You're so stupid, letting [the Packers] play you like this," said Favre. "They want me to get in there now. I may wait until Tuesday or so."

damn this better get resolved soon. The longer it is taking the dumber Ted Thompson looks in green bay and to the league.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#34 : July 27, 2008, 03:53:08 PM

ya that has never happened here before  ::)

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#35 : July 27, 2008, 03:54:38 PM

But the better for us, if we're the only serious bidder.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#36 : July 27, 2008, 03:55:20 PM

Judging how they have handled similar situations in the past, they look like fools this time.

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#37 : July 27, 2008, 03:56:03 PM

"C'mon Brett ...you'll get me fired"..ROFL! TT just figured out Favre's plan?

bucs8ball

Starter

#38 : July 27, 2008, 03:57:11 PM

The only thing I'm worried about is that Brett Favre might not want to play for the Bucs.  What if we trade for him and he gets here and decides that he doesn't want to play for us and retires again?  Also, if we get Favre, I would still want to keep Jeff Garcia.
If that were to happen, I am sure there would be wording in the deal that says if Favre balks at playing with the Bucs, Tampa would get what they gave up back...

And that is one of the reasons why I sort of don't get this lovefrest for Brett, espescially considering how people were railing on Garcia for wanting a pay raise.  I mean, BRett is obviously a better QB than Jeff is.  But Jeff played well last year.  The Bucs played well last year.  And Brett is acting like the biggest bum in the world, if you ask me...

Boid,
Looks like you're softening a bit to the idea of #4 in Tampa.

IMO, that ESPN article means that it's close. I don't think Favre's going to turn his papers in until a deal is finalized. If he has it signed and ready to go, Allen and Thompson must be working out the final details.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#39 : July 27, 2008, 04:00:48 PM

The thing that worries me is that he knows the Pack won't trade him to the Vikings (he says that in the
article) but then says he wants more trade options than what the Pack has offered. So it seems he's
not thrilled with the Bucs. Or, just not happy that they're trying to control the situation so tightly.
I just hope another team doesn't swoop in at the last minute. But I'm glad Bruce seems to be
holding out.

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#40 : July 27, 2008, 04:02:49 PM

Favre needs another team to get interested then...no one's come forward. If Favre's plan is to get released...that aint gonna happen.

If he doesn't like his options then stay retired and shut up alraedy.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#41 : July 27, 2008, 04:05:41 PM

Favre needs another team to get interested then...no one's come forward. If Favre's plan is to get released...that aint gonna happen.

If he doesn't like his options then stay retired and shut up alraedy.

Or report to camp and force their hand. If he does that, they'll have to release him. Or, trade him
to a team that he refuses to report to. And then he'll revert back to the Pack. He could still get
his release.

As was stated in other articles, the Pack have a past of letting players/GMs out of contracts to go play for
the team they want to play for. Grated, they weren't Favre. But heck, Lombardi did it. Why not Favre?

#42 : July 27, 2008, 04:06:10 PM

"Deanna, Bus, everyone here [in Mississippi] says, 'You're so stupid, letting [the Packers] play you like this," said Favre. "They want me to get in there now. I may wait until Tuesday or so."

Sounds like Favre is setting a deadline. Time is definitely on the Bucs side here, we're not talking about missing a bunch of training camp, we're talking about a couple of days at most. BA likes to deal from a position of strength, and every hour that passes his position gets stronger. I'm starting to think more and more that Favre may become a Buc.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#43 : July 27, 2008, 04:09:55 PM

I would think they'd have to trade Garcia before Favre reports? IF this happens.

It's great if it happens before Garcia gets back. Makes it easier on all involved. Unless Garcia doesn't
mind competing against Favre. I doubt it.

bucs1

Practice Squad
#44 : July 27, 2008, 04:10:12 PM

“If you don’t release me by Monday at noon, the cheese gets it.”
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Packers, Bucs Were Close To Agreeing On Favre Trade? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools