Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Verizon Fios Question « previous next »
Page: 1 2

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#15 : July 28, 2008, 06:55:49 PM

Your audio connections dont cause a delay and you can get surround sound from the "red/white" connections.

What the heck are you talking about?

I changed back to B.H. cause FIOS is too many problems and havent had a delay since.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#16 : July 28, 2008, 07:10:32 PM

Your audio connections dont cause a delay and you can get surround sound from the "red/white" connections.

What the heck are you talking about?

I changed back to B.H. cause FIOS is too many problems and havent had a delay since.

I have had no technical problems with FIOS, none.  The delay I was talking bout with my neighbors BH wasn't really a problem, it was just a lot more noticeable than I am used to.

A very large number of people purchase HD equipment and fail to hook it up properly.  Using composite and expecting a HD signal is a common mistake, and expecting a 6 channel signal down two RCA cables is another common mistake.   I have been using DVD players linked to a 5.1(or higher) receiver for about a decade, and everyone as required an optical link for true 5.1 surround.  If you use RCA connections you are delivering two channel audio to you receiver.  You will still get sound through all speakers but it is not true surround sound.  Try putting a DVD with DTS sound on, and see if the DTS light comes on, I bet it doesn't.

I am not saying it will cause a delay when you switch channels but it could depanding on the equipment.  The cable box wants to push a HD digital picture out along with digital sound.  When you switch channels it has to adjust because the RCA outputs are analogue.

Surround Sound Transfer
    Early surround systems (Dolby surround and Dolby Pro-Logic) could be transferred between components by the same RCA cables that carried the left and right audio signal but with the advent of digital 5.1 channel surround came the need for a more complex system of signal transfer. The following are the different ways that the surround signal is transferred between components.

Overview:
    Generally, there is a digital signal source such as a DVD player, DAD player or laser disc player. Some of these players have a built in decoder and will have analog 5.1 channel outputs. If there's no built in decoder, the digital source will offer a fiber optic and/or a coaxial digital output.

5.1 Channel via RCA Cables:
    This type of signal transfer is the most low tech but requires more cables to transfer the 6 channels of audio. It simply uses 6 RCA type cables/connectors. This type of connection is generally used to transfer the signal from a component with a 5.1 channel (Dolby Digital or DTS) surround sound decoder to a receiver, preamp or multi-channel amplifer.

http://www.bcae1.com/infotrns.htm

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#17 : July 28, 2008, 07:30:55 PM

I get what youre saying about the "true surround sound". It is noticeably better but you'll still have surround sound with RCA. Mis-interpretation on my part of what you were saying.

The delay with FIOS, from what I was told by Verizon, is b/c their equipment cant handle the HDMI. IDK if it was an excuse b/c the techs were too dumb or lazy to figure out the real problem or if it's the actual problem. I know that B.H. hasnt given me any problems with the HDMI.

I will say FIOS picture quality was definitely better but the number of problems just suck.

And I still think the NFL channel blows.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#18 : July 28, 2008, 07:36:08 PM

I get what youre saying about the "true surround sound". It is noticeably better but you'll still have surround sound with RCA. Mis-interpretation on my part of what you were saying.

If you are using RCA cables you will not get surround sound.  Your AMP might send sound to all speakers but it is not 5.1 surround sound that enhances the viewing/hearing experience.  The only way you will get true surround sound is by using an optical or coaxial digital cables.  The optical cables are fairly inexpensive and offer the best quality.

My AMP is actually 9.1 surround sound, and I can get sound through all the speakers BUT its not coming from the DVD player or cable box. I very often go to other peoples homes and watch TV.  Even with good equipment many just can't get things hooked up correctly.   One friend has the same AMP we have, and some of the speakers are the same but because his speaker positioning is all wrong the sound stage sucks.

I haven't had any issues with FIOS other than dealing with the customer service for stuff like new boxes and upgrades.  From what I remember BH had its fair share of problems, especially the picture pixelating.

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#19 : July 28, 2008, 09:29:27 PM

I dont have pixelating problems... sometimes the program will freeze for a second or two but I had the exact same thing with FIOS. I seemed to have the worst FIOS in history. Everyone I know with it hasnt had a single problem.

In the end, B.H. offered me more for less and with the problems I had to bite.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#20 : July 28, 2008, 09:41:53 PM

I dont have pixelating problems... sometimes the program will freeze for a second or two but I had the exact same thing with FIOS. I seemed to have the worst FIOS in history. Everyone I know with it hasnt had a single problem.

Wait a minute.  You mean after all the grief you gave me about Fios problems I was having , you ended up leaving Fios for BH.  Maybe it was bad karma.   ;D

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#21 : July 28, 2008, 10:44:00 PM

Wait a minute.  You mean after all the grief you gave me about Fios problems I was having , you ended up leaving Fios for BH.  Maybe it was bad karma.  ;D

yepppp... karma at it's finest... (well its finest was the drunken radio arrest, but you get the point).

I ended up having a boatload of tech issues and we all know what their customer service is.

Picture Quality and Sound were WAY better, but was a pain in the ass with the problems. B.H. came knocking and offered me for about 30 bucks less a month plus no contract and they gave me a month free and paid to break my contract with FIOS.

So after all said n done... I got a free LCD tv, a free month of cable and a cheaper cable bill.

NovaBuc

Starter

#22 : July 28, 2008, 10:51:48 PM

I havev FIOS tv here in Northern Virginia, one of my tvs ( a panasonic) has the same problem with the hdmi cables you describe, the other doesn't (a sony).  The one that has the problem has a pretty long cable run from the demarcation spot, the other is within a foot or two. Not sure if that is the issue, but with the one TV I rarely ever watch anything that's not HD so the little 1 to 2 second delay is not that noticeable. There's no way I'd have any other service, the cable companies up here (Cox, Time Warner and Comcast) are just god awful with their service and pricing. I'm getting basically all of FIOS' channels but the adult and the foreign ones with two HD DVRs and paying less per month than I was with just basic cable with Cox.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Verizon Fios Question « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools