Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Verizon Fios Question « previous next »
Page: 1 2

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

: July 27, 2008, 06:02:52 PM

On Friday Verizon came and installed Fios at my house (thank goodness now have NFL Net).

I noticed that when I change the channel from an HD feed to a regular feed channel, there is sometimes a slight hesitation. Does anyone else get this with Fios?

Also, what does the large Fios button on the controller do?

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#1 : July 27, 2008, 06:19:13 PM

Fios will always usually have a delay between the HD channels and regular channels. If you are using an HDMI cable it's even worse as (by their own admission), their equipment isnt as compatible with HDMI as it should be.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#2 : July 27, 2008, 06:24:40 PM

Also, what does the large Fios button on the controller do?

Whatever you do ... DO NOT PUSH THAT BUTTON!    ;D

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#3 : July 27, 2008, 08:37:04 PM

I don't get a significant delay. 

Scurvy

Practice Squad

#4 : July 27, 2008, 08:49:03 PM

As that was MM's most recent post, I'm betting he pushed the big button. Wonder where we should send the flowers?

Dibs on his BUCS gear.

doobiedoright

Hall of Famer

#5 : July 27, 2008, 10:36:10 PM

Is that the one that launches the nukes? :o ::) ;D

#6 : July 27, 2008, 11:26:31 PM

That isn't limited to just Fios, there is a difference in information from a straight digital channel and a HD channel.  The bandwidth compared between the two HD is almost double that of a straight digital channel.

joedav01

Hall of Famer

#7 : July 28, 2008, 01:03:00 AM

I only get the delay on my TV that is hooked to a surround sound reciever via HDMI cable.  The other TV's experience no delay what so ever. 

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#8 : July 28, 2008, 08:13:08 AM

I only get the delay on my TV that is hooked to a surround sound reciever via HDMI cable.  The other TV's experience no delay what so ever. 

Have you tried using the optical connection from the receiver to cable box?  I use that and then HDMI from the cable box to TV, and I don't get a delay.

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#9 : July 28, 2008, 08:29:24 AM

Next time you talk to a Verizon Tech ask him about the HDMI cable problem. 3 techs all told me the same thing.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#10 : July 28, 2008, 08:35:11 AM

Next time you talk to a Verizon Tech ask him about the HDMI cable problem. 3 techs all told me the same thing.

Are you using HDMI to a receiver?  I use optical and don't have any problems. 

Ironphist

Hall of Famer

#11 : July 28, 2008, 04:33:36 PM

mjs - i have hdmi from plasma to cable box and i definitely have a delay.  are you saying i should take hdmi in and optical out to another box (i have a Bose system that has an optical port on the back i think, but it's almost 2 years old)?

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#12 : July 28, 2008, 05:37:41 PM

mjs - i have hdmi from plasma to cable box and i definitely have a delay.  are you saying i should take hdmi in and optical out to another box (i have a Bose system that has an optical port on the back i think, but it's almost 2 years old)?

So how is your cable box connected to the Bose system? 

I would connect the cable box and TV via HDMI.  Then I would connect the cable box optical to the receiver.  Mine is set up like that and there is no delay.

I was baby sitting for a neighbor last week because they took my son to a Rays game.   They have bighthouse standard definition and that had more of a delay between channels than my FIOS.

Ironphist

Hall of Famer

#13 : July 28, 2008, 05:39:33 PM

ok - thanks, i'll look into that.  right now, my hdmi is essentially "video out" from cable box to plasma screen and then the audio is red and white plug in connectors (i'm sure they have an audiophile name, but i'm not that savvy)...

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#14 : July 28, 2008, 05:47:20 PM

ok - thanks, i'll look into that.  right now, my hdmi is essentially "video out" from cable box to plasma screen and then the audio is red and white plug in connectors (i'm sure they have an audiophile name, but i'm not that savvy)...

The red/white are (RCA) Audio Connections .  You will not get surround sound using a (RCA) Audio Connections.  They will probably cause a delay when switching channels as well because they are often used for analogue signals, and the cable box is digital.  Get an optical (toshlink) and take it from the cable box to the receiver.  You will get 5.1 surround sound, and it should dramatically reduce the delay.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Verizon Fios Question « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools