Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Thoughts thus far on the team « previous next »
Page: 1

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
: July 28, 2008, 10:33:58 PM

What was consider to be a major weakness this off-season in the receiving corps thus far has been exceeding expectations through the first three days of training camp. Granted it has only been six practices it is still a positive sign to hear the reviews of three players that will essentially make or break the offense this coming season.

While the sore groin of Galloway leaves alot of fans glamoring in back allies and right fully so, it is still early but if this 'groin" issues lingers into pre-season and then the regular season lets hope the reviews Clayton, Bryant and Stovall are getting is substance based and not the same old hype machine working on over drive.

Simms while it is not a big surprise he showed up, it is good that he looks half way decent after the extend time off, now lets hope Bruce can pull some magic rabbit out of a hat and get a decent pick for Simms.

Eugene Wilson after struggling in the off-season good to hear that he is getting his feet under him and starting to get some good work in and making splash plays.

Javon Haye still showing the motor from last training camp and season which is a positive sign that he is still hungry and wants an even bigger payday this off-season.

Earnest Graham seems to have worked on his speed this off-season from all account he is a step or two fast this training camp which can only help with his down hill running style.

Looks to be Donald Penn's job to lose at LT since Petitigout cant seem to get on the field.

Quincy Blacks natural maturation process is good news and should help him the more reps he gets.

Matt McCoy really showing he might be a keeper at MLB with his speed and range.

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

#1 : July 29, 2008, 12:03:56 AM

From what PR is also stating, Adams looks poised to build more steam off of last year, here's hoping that he continues to progress much like Mario Williams did, and his softmore season is a break out.  The o-line leaves one excited to see if it can be considered all put together now.  This defense is showing signs of almost being complete again.  I'm hoping that he d-line gets mucho more sacks and more importantly we continue to drum up all pluses again in the turnover category, and also rate well in scoring D.

What is not to be excited, its ever closer to football season!

benchwarmer69

Hall of Famer

#2 : July 29, 2008, 12:47:02 AM

WR hype. That's all it is. Pure and simple.

So what if Clayton lost a few pounds?
So what if D. jackson is a midget and hasen't played an NFL down?
So what if A Byant didn't even play last season, and had a rap as a jerk?
So what if Paris is ok again (he'll prob just hurt himself again trying to prove to Gru he can play)?
So what if IkE & Galloway are another year older? After all, we do like vets.
So what if Galloways ALREADY hurt? I guess someone could make a case, " it's better injured now, than later on", but I'd rather go with "hardly ever injured" than that other quote.

I tell ya guys, this WR core looks pitiful. Besides a healthy Galloway, A Byant and Clayton is the BEST we can come up with? Honestly, I would be full of it if I said I was impressed.

In all my years of watching football, I've seen the worst preseason incidents/dramas envelope teams practices, and yet many do very well in spite of the fact (see Giants, or Pats). So I really don't care how "good" they are doing in practice, mostly that they are healthy, and that they are getting the playbook right. There are too many variations in a NFL game that a practice can't cover. Like getting hit for example.

Until we get a deep-threat QB, this is really a moot point though. Until we have a younger version of a Favre, Manning(s), or a Brady there really isn't a reason to spring for a "Great" WR. Until that happens, or Galloway retires I'm sure BA will "make-do" with what he has. But yeah, our WR's aren't all that. If someone happens to think so, they're drinking the pewter-juice a bit too often.

I would say "-Brought to you by the commitee to sign A. Boldin", but someone HAS to have beaten me to it by now.

EDIT- I don't think there would be enough cap space to buy up "great" WR's without hurting our already Great defense. Hopefully next year we will be loaded, and FA WR's abundant.  :)

#3 : July 29, 2008, 10:22:28 AM

Your know after reading your post ( bw69) ; I bet someone in Green Bay posted something similar last year during training camp.....Like - "C'Mon who do we have after Donald Driver ?".....the rest  ( 4,155 yards later)...is history.

Think positive !!!

GenBrooks55

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#4 : July 29, 2008, 10:49:02 AM

So what if Paris is ok again (he'll prob just hurt himself again trying to prove to Gru he can play)?
So what if Galloways ALREADY hurt? I guess someone could make a case, " it's better injured now, than later on", but I'd rather go with "hardly ever injured" than that other quote.

I tell ya guys, this WR core looks pitiful. Besides a healthy Galloway, A Byant and Clayton is the BEST we can come up with? Honestly, I would be full of it if I said I was impressed.

In all my years of watching football, I've seen the worst preseason incidents/dramas envelope teams practices, and yet many do very well in spite of the fact (see Giants, or Pats). So I really don't care how "good" they are doing in practice, mostly that they are healthy, and that they are getting the playbook right. There are too many variations in a NFL game that a practice can't cover. Like getting hit for example.

Until we get a deep-threat QB, this is really a moot point though. Until we have a younger version of a Favre, Manning(s), or a Brady there really isn't a reason to spring for a "Great" WR. Until that happens, or Galloway retires I'm sure BA will "make-do" with what he has. But yeah, our WR's aren't all that. If someone happens to think so, they're drinking the pewter-juice a bit too often.

I would say "-Brought to you by the commitee to sign A. Boldin", but someone HAS to have beaten me to it by now.

EDIT- I don't think there would be enough cap space to buy up "great" WR's without hurting our already Great defense. Hopefully next year we will be loaded, and FA WR's abundant. :)

I know what you mean. The second wr has to do more than just show he can play at training camp. I hope they can keep it up for the games. The team has failed to do that the past couple of years.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#5 : July 29, 2008, 10:52:23 AM

Thanks for info.  I disagree with you on Left Tackle being Penn’s job to lose though.  I think the Bucs are just being cautious with Pettigout and you will see him starting opening day barring another injury.  

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#6 : July 29, 2008, 10:56:00 AM

Anthony Davis participated heavily in the off season activities only to end up backing up Deese opening day in 04.  LP is the starter unless Penn becomes shutdown all of sudden.

Based on what is being observed it could be viewed the WR position is in better shape, but I have to agree that this is more hype than substance.

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#7 : July 29, 2008, 10:58:58 AM

EDIT- I don't think there would be enough cap space to buy up "great" WR's without hurting our already Great defense. Hopefully next year we will be loaded, and FA WR's abundant. :)

Agreed 100% and it is to bad that such a good defense must go to waste.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Thoughts thus far on the team « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools