Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden's act gets as old as Bucs' losing ways - John Stinky Romano « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 8

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

: December 19, 2006, 06:45:12 AM

The clean version of my email to this scumbag John is at the bottom......

Gruden's act gets as old as Bucs' losing ways
The jokes are falling flat, and the act is growing stale. Once, he could get laughs just by arching a brow. Maybe by narrowing the eyes.

TAMPA - The jokes are falling flat, and the act is growing stale. Once, he could get laughs just by arching a brow. Maybe by narrowing the eyes.

Those days, and their cute diversions, are long since gone. Today, Jon Gruden is just another coach of another sorry team.

The Buccaneers have dropped 36 games since 2003, and only seven other franchises have lost as many. Incidentally, all seven of those teams changed coaches at least once in that time.

Does this mean Gruden's days in Tampa Bay are growing short? No one but the Glazers know for sure, but I would suggest his shtick is getting tiresome.

It is the losing, of course. But it is also so much more. It is the excuses he says are not excuses. It is the personnel decisions and the personality clashes. It is the smugness, the insincerity and the evasiveness.

Gruden has always been a bottom-line kind of coach, except when it is his bottom that is on the line.

And if he has trouble being honest with himself, you have to wonder if Gruden is being honest with you.

He'll tell you how hard it is to win with a rookie quarterback in the NFL. But that's ignoring the fact the Bucs were 0-3 before Bruce Gradkowski took over, and that it was Gruden's choice to bypass Tim Rattay.

He'll tell you the Bucs have been saddled with a tremendously challenging schedule. But that's ignoring the fact that the NFC South is one of the two softest divisions in the league - based on records against non-division foes - and the Bucs went 0-6 in that weak division.

He'll tell you about injuries, bad calls, flukes and underachieving players, as if no other team in the league has faced similar issues.

And the shame is that Gruden doesn't need the excuses.

He is far too talented as an offensive coordinator, and far too accomplished as a head coach in the NFL, to fall back on bluster and rationalities when his decisions do not turn out the way he envisioned.

The latest example is the quarterback switch that was at least two weeks, and perhaps two months, too late.

If Gruden overestimated Gradkowski's readiness, that's an honest mistake. If he underestimated Rattay, that can also be excused. But Gruden blew it by refusing to second-guess himself, as if the decisions of a 3-11 coach are somehow above reproach.

"I don't look back," Gruden said after Sunday's game. "That's not my way of doing things."

Gruden would later complain a reception on Chicago's winning drive should have been ruled an incompletion on the field, or at least have been overturned by the replay official. He suggested reporters might want to call the NFL office to ask for an explanation on the play.

Do you suppose Gruden would appreciate such a pat response from the league? "We don't look back. That's not our way of doing things."

This season has been a bitter disappointment, and it is Gruden's fault. No conditions. No qualifications. Maybe he got some bad breaks along the way, but that does not excuse the end result.

He once got rid of Keyshawn Johnson for crossing him. He pushed out Rich McKay for disagreeing with him. He let John Lynch and Warren Sapp go because they were too old. He let Brian Griese and Keenan McCardell go because they were too expensive. He let Thomas Jones go for some inexplicable reason.

The point is Gruden does not hesitate when he feels someone is not holding up their end of a bargain. He is not sentimental, and he is not philosophical.

So why shouldn't the same standards apply to him?

Is a quarterback at the bottom of the league in passer rating any different than a head coach near the bottom of the league in winning percentage?

It is becoming increasingly fashionable to ask how long the afterglow lasts on a Super Bowl victory. And how much fidelity plays into the equation.

Seeing as how Gruden is neither sappy nor overly burdened by loyalty, I don't think the questions are phrased correctly. I think it is completely an issue of competence. Do you have faith Gruden is the best man for the job in 2007?

We have had five seasons to see him in action, and it is still a difficult question to answer. He has been brilliant, and he has made mistakes. He has also done himself no favors by offering too many excuses in between.

I'll give him 2003.

The Bucs had been a free-spending team for years and were pressed hard against the salary cap.

I'll even give him 2004.

Too many top draft picks had been lost in too many trades designed to win immediately with little concern for the future.

But there are no excuses for 2006.

Nearly four years after winning the Super Bowl, the Bucs have become a bad, bad football team.

And someone needs to be held responsible.

John Romano can be reached at (727) 893-8811.

John Romano should be shot for this digusting piece about Gruden. When will the ball licking for Mckay end? If I know Sapp was let go because MCKAY gave an enormous contract to another UT why can't this clown? Oh, but that would fit his agneda. He's a scumbag along with the rest of the Times and Tribune hell bent on giving Gruden no credit for the success and all the blame for the failure. Who's decision was it to let Lynch go? It was f**king Kiffin's you f**king a**holes.

Ever wonder why Thomas Jones left? Why the f**k do I know this but you don't? Ever heard of a player going for more money? Ever heard of a team not having that money to give such a player?

You say Gruden's act is getting tired, good lord I've never seen a bunch of pieces of sh*ts write bulls**t cloumn after bulls**t column. Go up and write for the AJC, that's where you really want. Mckay's done such a great job with them hasn't he?

One more thing for you cluless f***faces, who was the person to beg McKay to stay in 2002? It was Gruden. Remember the debacle that was Parcell's and Marvin Lewis?

You guys have no f**king clue, if I know this, why the f**k don't you?

coolhandluke

Starter

#1 : December 19, 2006, 06:59:31 AM

I guess it makes for good read in the paper but I am dismayed at how little the Media knows in this Area. I will give Scott Reynolds this,  and Scott I am not your biggest fan nor do I think you dont know anything. You seem to be very honest when on the Radio and I enjoy your show on 620.. it is the only one of the shows that is listenable.

You were spot on about Jones going for the first offer even before the Bucs had a chance to counter.

People seem to forget the coaching job Gruden did last year with Simms coming in after Griese got hurt.

If the media wants to pile on someone they should take a look at Torts!

#2 : December 19, 2006, 07:40:58 AM

If we wanted to keep TJ, he wouldn't have made it to free agency.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#3 : December 19, 2006, 07:47:12 AM

True.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#4 : December 19, 2006, 07:51:55 AM

KOB, I like your response.   But I don't think you used enough foul language.   If you haven't sent it off already, maybe you can add some more expletives.

I love the sig too!

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

#5 : December 19, 2006, 08:00:42 AM

He was demanding 3mil+ per year and the Bucs did not know what he was worth so they let him test FA waters-- he was signed in 59 min-- takes longer to negotiate a new car sale-- he never went back to the Bucs and said hey you want to match this. He never even listened to their numbers or gave them a chance-- he was gone as soon as the FA bell rung.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#6 : December 19, 2006, 08:08:41 AM

He was demanding 3mil+ per year and the Bucs did not know what he was worth so they let him test FA waters-- he was signed in 59 min-- takes longer to negotiate a new car sale-- he never went back to the Bucs and said hey you want to match this. He never even listened to their numbers or gave them a chance-- he was gone as soon as the FA bell rung.

That is true as well.

PewterReportSR

Hall of Famer
#7 : December 19, 2006, 08:25:12 AM

coolhandluke - I appreciate that very much. The things I (and also Jim Flynn) strive for in Pewter Report's reporting is honesty, fairness and balance while bringing ALL the facts to the table.

We don't write things to please certain people – we have the pro- AND anti-Gruden crowd getting on us at times, which tells me that we're pretty balanced. I know we write things that get under the skin of folks at One Buc Place from the front office to the locker room, but at least we have the respect of the players, coaches and front office folks because we do our homework. That's why we are able to get the real story and the inside scoop because so many folks are willing to talk to us off the record.

It stuns me that several writers and columnists that cover the same team as we do either don't know all the facts or simply tend to ignore them to serve some sort of an agenda. Maybe when they write columns and articles that leave out facts either due to ignorance or agenda (hey, it's one or the other) the folks at One Buc Place read it and determine that the author lacks credibility and they don't do things like speak to him or her off the record or offer up any inside info.

It's either ignorance or agenda, folks. Since the salary cap is such a huge part of NFL life these days, reporters and columnists should have a working understanding of how it works, how flexible it can be and how restrictive it can be. Apparently a lot of reporters that cover the Buccaneers don't know this because the words "salary cap" rarely show up in stories explaining why certain players aren't in Tampa anymore. Shame on them for not knowing. It's part of their job!

You know, sometimes I wish I would win the lottery so that I could afford to give every Buccaneers fan a free subscription to the Pewter Report and Pewter Insider because I think we could educate a lot of fans who are misled or uniformed by the local media. Pewter Report isn't perfect in our reporting by any means. We don't break every story, but we do break more stories and offer up a different kind of Bucs coverage than the rest of the local media does.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#8 : December 19, 2006, 08:34:47 AM

It's ingnorance and agenda and I'm tired of it. Tampa fans should appreciate the Bucs, Lightning, Rays and Storm. What do the writers do, trash them at every chance they get. Disgusting. As evidenced by PR, writers can fairly report thw current status of each organization without all the venom that the local writers seem to be experts at. By the way, what sports did Romano & Shelton play at the pro level? I thoght so. Stick to waht you know, which is Rich Mckays speed dial number.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#9 : December 19, 2006, 08:39:17 AM

The team is 3-11, and the current FO/HC has had 3 drafts to work with.  To not ask tough questions about the direction of the team would be odd, to say the very least.

This roster was hailed by many as "The Best Bucs Team Ever."  Any writer who even suggested 8-8 was mocked as being out of touch with the greatness that is Gruden.  The fact is that the team is not just bad, but the third worst team in the NFL, and just went 0-6 in their division.  The offense has regressed since the days of Clyde and Les, which says it all right there.  Those are unacceptable results by anyone's standards.

Tough questions need to be asked about this team, not folks with their heads burried in the, well let's just call it sand, hoping everything will be alright without management and key coaching changes.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#10 : December 19, 2006, 08:39:48 AM

Great response SR - that's why we love PR. You give us the FACTS and let us decide. That's what real journalism should be.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#11 : December 19, 2006, 08:41:29 AM

The team is 3-11, and the current FO/HC has had 3 drafts to work with.  To not ask tough questions about the direction of the team would be odd, to say the very least.

This roster was hailed by many as "The Best Bucs Team Ever."  Any writer who even suggested 8-8 was mocked as being out of touch with the greatness that is Gruden.  The fact is that the team is not just bad, but the third worst team in the NFL, and just went 0-6 in their division.  The offense has regressed since the days of Clyde and Les, which says it all right there.  Those are unacceptable results by anyone's standards.

Tough questions need to be asked about this team, not folks with their heads burried in the, well let's just call it sand, hoping everything will be alright without management and key coaching changes.

I have no probelm with that and agree with some of what you said. The problem is they're not asking the questions, they're throwing out hate pieces with slanted views. Anyone who doesn't see that has their head in the, well let's just call it sand.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#12 : December 19, 2006, 08:41:53 AM

They trash them because controversy sells.   They can't sell newspapers if they support the local teams.    So they complain about the team, insult the coach, and basically come up with any negative spin possible.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#13 : December 19, 2006, 08:50:53 AM

Java, I know that that is the perception that people buy newspapers because of sensational stories but at what point do you turn the public off with all of the negativity? I know there is no imperical data but it seems to me that most intelligent people don't need John Romano to tel them what went wrong this year. it sure gets old.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#14 : December 19, 2006, 08:59:48 AM

It isn't popular to support Gruden right now, and so the "mainstream" media blows whatever direction the wind happens to be whipping. I would venture to guess--and this is purely a guess--that the majority (maybe 60-65%?) of Bucs fans (since the majority are casual fans) probably are in favor of replacing Gruden.

The knowledgeable Bucs fans understand that there are many contributing factors involved that got the team to this point. It is no coincidence that the Bucs with the second fewest first round picks since 1999 and the Dolphins with the fewest first round picks since 1999 have identical records over that period of time. The difference, of course, is that the Buccaneers have a championship as well.

The knowledgeable Bucs fans (and the Glazers) realize that Gruden and Allen deserve the opportunity to finally take advantage of the much less cap-restricted offseason that is upcoming. A cap improvement, I might add, that they worked hard to achieve. This group has done a lot of good together, including the damn near impossible: clearing significant cap room by trading a slug of an overpaid DT to Indy and getting a 2nd round pick in return.

However, that being said, all bets are off after the 2007 season is in the books. Gruden/Allen know that this offseason is critical and that their jobs in Tampa depend on it. They understand the weight and gravity of the situation.

And where is the man that had the biggest hand in creating the team's cap struggles? Well, he abandoned ship before the stuff could hit the fan. Rich McKay has some good qualities, but the thing he has always been best at is portraying Rich McKay in the best light possible. He got out before any of the flying crap could stick to his clean, white suit.

Oh, heh. I just realized that I wrote "the mainstream media blows".
Page: 1 2 3 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden's act gets as old as Bucs' losing ways - John Stinky Romano « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools