Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Question for Golfers « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 12

Stratobuc

Starter
#15 : August 03, 2008, 02:08:43 AM

Like they said earlier, lessons from a PGA Pro (important) will help. The one swing aid I tried that really worked is the Medicus hinged club that breaks when you swing off-plane

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#16 : August 03, 2008, 03:39:46 AM

I have most of the aids mentioned. I attribute the momentus to actually destroying my swing. I was a 9 hcp golfer, and picked up one of those things (my dad has one) and started swinging it over and over during the two week stay I had in Tampa.  I swear that thing gave what we golfers call "a hitch" in the back swing -

The only thing good about the momentus club is that the grip is molded to show you how to properly hold the club.   I the local pro shop place one of those preformed grips on my medicus and now have a pretty good aid.

Another good aid is the trilink short game trainer - good for chipping and putting.  http://www.izzo.com/trainingGear_detail.asp?tgMenuOrder=42

Good video to buy is Simon Holmes's videos

Stratobuc

Starter
#17 : August 03, 2008, 04:52:23 AM

I was watching a show on Fox Sports called "Sports Science" and they showed a pro golfer {forget which} and measured his swing speed and launch angle. After he swung a weighted club, his timing was off, and his ball speed was down.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#18 : August 03, 2008, 07:40:43 AM

the weighted club can really **CENSORED** up your swing, that's for sure.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#19 : August 03, 2008, 12:24:47 PM

You do know several tour players use weighted clubs for practice and warm up.  Todd Hamiliton attributes his major win to using the Momentus club that week.  You can't just pick it up and make a 'normal' swing with it, there is a technique to using it.  It helped me get a really good shoulder turn and position at the top.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#20 : August 03, 2008, 12:32:21 PM

Hear David Duval used it and see what happened to his game.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#21 : August 03, 2008, 12:37:26 PM

Hear David Duval used it and see what happened to his game.

Nearly all pro use some sort of weighted club.  You need to have a decent swing to start with, and use the tool properly.  It works well for me.  Went from Mr. Average driver, 250 with a fade/slice, to hitting 300+ yard straight drives. 

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#22 : August 03, 2008, 12:39:05 PM

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#23 : August 03, 2008, 12:40:50 PM

You need to have a decent swing to start with, and use the tool properly.

Then why would you even recommend to the new player above (BUCCO40)?

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#24 : August 03, 2008, 12:42:21 PM

I realized they have his name on it now.  When I bought mine four years ago he wasn't associated with them.  So basically he has used it the last few years, and he is back on the map now.

I hung around the pro shop a lot as a kid, and every pro and top amateur I have known uses some sort of weighted club.  It works well for me, actually it works amazingly well.  Lots of others use it as well:

"I'm using the Momentus swing trainer to build strength and fine tune my swing . It's really working well for me!" Larry Mize

"I Like swinging the Momentus swing trainer because it gives me a feel for swinging the golf club consistently on-plane." Billy Andrade

"The Momentus swing trainer feels great to swing! I use it every morning in the PGA Tour Fitness Trailer before I play." Fred Funk

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#25 : August 03, 2008, 12:44:42 PM

You need to have a decent swing to start with, and use the tool properly.

Then why would you even recommend to the new player above (BUCCO40)?

I also told him to have lessons before he does ANYTHING else.

#26 : August 03, 2008, 10:46:30 PM

I started playing in January. My dad got me a ful set (minus the fairway woods) of startup cllubs for like $150 on craigs list. It came with a decent looking bag and the clubs are everything I need for now. Not bad at all. Im starting to get a lot better. I chipped in for birdie on a par 3 at Chi Chi Rodriguez a couple weeks ago and felt lke a pro. Lol! A friend of mine gets in for free at Plantation Palms whenever we want too, so whenever he's not being too lazy I like to go there. Nice course. Im not very good yet, but Ive been getting a lot better recently.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#27 : August 03, 2008, 11:19:07 PM

uh-oh, you've got the bug - now you're going to be addicted to golf - a lifelong sport - the worst thing about it is the price of green fees - can be steep.

#28 : August 04, 2008, 12:03:17 AM

If you play a lot it gets expensive for sure.  My two sports/hobbies are both heavy on the wallet  :( , golf and scuba.  Actually the golf isn't that bad now we are members of the course we live on.

#29 : August 04, 2008, 12:17:17 AM

My buddy and I normally just play the public courses which range from about $18-25 with cart included which is not bad at all.

In the summer maybe but winter prices are way higher.  The public courses new me have rates around $25 in the summer after 2:00pm.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Question for Golfers « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools