Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Your Vote « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

samlinebacker

Rookie

: July 29, 2008, 05:13:34 PM

As the Presidential Election draws nearer and nearer, I was curious how some of you fellow Bucs fans felt about the Presidential hopefuls...

Personally, I'm interested in the subject area alot ( I plan on becoming a high-school history teacher...and football coach godwilling.) I'll admit I have flopped on both sides and like like certain aspects of Obama and McCain. Truth is 95% of polictians are bent. In addition to this their approval rating when entering office is very high but when their promises are not fulfilled and their quotas are not met, thats when their approval ratings go down. Near the end of their presidency, like Bush former presidents hope to leave a good legacy in spite of their failures or mishaps. i.e. Bush visiting Africa which we all know he couldnt give a **CENSORED** less, otherwise he'd be assiting in Darfur instead of trying to fight uncouth people in Iraq. Bottom line, the next president could demonstrate a turn of the century for us and people might not realize it. The money spent in Iraq could have granted the united states with universal healthcare for its citizens twice over. McCain--"We could be there for up to 100 years until we get the job done." Obama--"When I am Commander-in Cheif, I will end this war."

Your thoughts...

Bucco40

Pro Bowler

#1 : July 29, 2008, 05:16:23 PM

Oh god, this is going to spring more controversy. We have seriously about a 1000 politics threads on this board.

Personally, I think they both are not qualified. Obama being the least. McCain has my respect as a person and a great war hero but not as my president. Obama,well, I have absolutely no respect for and will never have. The man could bring peace to America and I would still hate him. I think hes a total idiot with no real plan and just lies/says anything he can to get in the White House.

I really really wish Ralph Nader had a shot of winning.

Aye, So we cut Clifton Smith?!?!

Set Course for Tampa Bay! Its time we make Bruce Allen a member of Davy Jones Locker!

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#2 : July 29, 2008, 06:40:13 PM

The money spent in Iraq could have granted the united states with universal healthcare for its citizens twice over.

Your thoughts...

Not even close.  The Iraq war/occupation has so far cost around $561 billion total since 2002.  The estimated Federal budget for Medicare/Medicaid and health care is $713 billion for 2009 alone.
The US Govt. already spends more on healthcare in one year than we spend in Iraq in 6 years, and thats with only @20% of the population receiving benefits.

Obama's proposed healthcare plan could easily triple that number, so my first question to him is where does that extra $1.4 trillion come from?

McCain's HC proposal is rather vague if not non-existent.

McCain--"We could be there for up to 100 years until we get the job done."

That is not what McCain said.  He responded to the question "Pres. Bush said he sees troops in Iraq for 50 years, how do you respond" and McCain's response was "could be 50, could be 100, we have had troops in Japan for 60 years and we have been in S.Korea for 50.  As long as the fighting ends and our troops are safe and not being harmed what's wrong with maintaining a presence in a volatile part of the world..." 

The Dems love to misquote that and claim that McCain wants a long war, but it's not true.  Big difference between maintaining bases and continued fighting.

As far as which candidate I prefer, I was hoping we could start over and get 2 new ones.  This election needs a reset button.

swirless

Pro Bowler

#3 : July 29, 2008, 06:43:08 PM

I agree that I don't think either is qualified to be president of the US, obviously McCain has more experience but he is a career politician, but who isn't that would be here at this stage and Obama appears to be a terrible choice due to many factors

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#4 : July 29, 2008, 06:43:49 PM

I agree that I don't think either is qualified to be president of the US,

Since when has being qualified for the job held anyone back. 

swirless

Pro Bowler

#5 : July 29, 2008, 06:53:47 PM

I agree that I don't think either is qualified to be president of the US,

Since when has being qualified for the job held anyone back.

Maybe that was a poor choice of words because as long as you are US citizen and 35 years of age you can try and get the job, but these 2 do not consistently show presidential traits that you would like to see in a leader of the free world and one representing our nation.

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#6 : July 29, 2008, 06:56:25 PM

I am going to do a write in ballot and put   UFOJOE55  do you think they will figure that out?...OBD

swirless

Pro Bowler

#7 : July 29, 2008, 06:58:58 PM

I am with you I will go with a write in for UFOJOE55 too, we can find out the truth about Bigfoot, Roswell, Keneedy and more

samsdad

Hall of Famer

#8 : July 29, 2008, 08:30:02 PM

obama all the way.
Yes..he inexpierienced....yes hes not the ideal choice....but he's different....hes not the same old rich white guy

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#9 : July 29, 2008, 08:50:20 PM

I think Obama will surprise a few people.  I am not a democrat and wasn't that keen on him initially but he is maturing fast and sometimes a new approach is required.  The world, and US in particular, is at a crossroads right now.  I think our standing in the world and foreign policies will be much improved with Obama in the White House. 

Toby Blair was very inexperienced and lacked real economic policies when he came to power but he didn't do such a bad job.

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#10 : July 29, 2008, 08:54:26 PM

I agree. I havent been a huge fan of Obamas, but he is growing on me and after the past 8 years, it will be interesting to see how he does.

I know I would never vote for McCain.

swirless

Pro Bowler

#11 : July 29, 2008, 08:55:09 PM

I think Obama will surprise a few people. I am not a democrat and wasn't that keen on him initially but he is maturing fast and sometimes a new approach is required. The world, and US in particular, is at a crossroads right now. I think our standing in the world and foreign policies will be much improved with Obama in the White House.

Toby Blair was very inexperienced and lack real economic policies when he came to power but he didn't do such a bad job.

Obama has already been president only his name was Jimmy Carter and he did really good with foreign policy and gas prices.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#12 : July 29, 2008, 08:57:59 PM

The thing that makes me laugh is the same people that are bashing Obama probably loved Bush eight years ago.  He was basically clueless on foreign policy and half the time appears to be a couple of IQ points short of being an imbecile.

swirless

Pro Bowler

#13 : July 29, 2008, 09:08:02 PM

The thing that makes me laugh is the same people that are bashing Obama probably loved Bush eight years ago. He was basically clueless on foreign policy and half the time appears to be a couple of IQ points short of being an imbecile.

Bush speaks from his heart fortunately and leads in that same manner we will find out many years down the pipe whether or not the attempt to democratize Iraq and get rid of a tyrannt was successful.  Obama is a brilliant man and charasmatic speaker who inspires people but other than that he lacks many qualities that are necessary to be the CEO of the US in todays ever changing world.  Why do we want our president to be one that is embarrassed to be an American?

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#14 : July 29, 2008, 09:12:31 PM

I like Bush the man.  He is very humble, charming, and witty from what I have seen.  He is someone I could socialize with but he isn't your prototypical statesman.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Your Vote « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools