Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Your Vote « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

« #30 : July 30, 2008, 12:40:30 AM »

No universal healthcare? Fine. I understand why people don't want it. So come up with an alternative to
what we have now. I was rejected (because of a bum shoulder) last year for insurance. So last week, when
I had to get a colonoscopy and endoscopy done so the doctor could rule out cancer, I had to pay out of my
own own pocket. In total, with the doctor's visit, blood work and two procedures, I paid $1600.

If I DID have a tumor or something that needed to be operated on, I wold have had a bill that would
be in the tens of thousands and would have been bankrupt. So what is your plan to change that?

Not sure what you have for coverage, and honestly there really is no real way to return back to a cash only option.  Thought it was interesting that some are going back to it though.  One thing that had been implemented for the company that I work for was the Health Reimbursement Arrangement.  Couple this with flexible spending and a lot of certain expenses could be knocked out.  In regards to cancer, some have opted for insurance for this, but I guess what I've done is have "life expences" set aside to the best of my ability.  Medicaid and Medicare can and still do get turned down, who is to say that universal won't also?  They'll just simply use this as a measuring stick for it.

It really is a catch-22 of sorts on health care anymore because it has gone downhill due to the many issues of fraud potential, consumers not being educated on choice, etc.  The thing is life happens, and be it as much as we want to, nothing can always or fully prepare you for it, and if I lose a limb tomorrow, I may be in pain, and my quality of life is going to change, but that is only something that I myself will have to overcome.  Is there an easy fix? No, but educating people on relying on ways to set up emergency expense funds aside, and into low risk, mutual funds or high yield savings accounts in where the money works for you deal, can help for out of pocket.  Also some of the universal plans that have been implemented, sound like they have a percentage that is out of pocket, plus you still pay into them, it is just now they are in the form of taxes.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #31 : July 30, 2008, 12:51:30 AM »

No universal healthcare? Fine. I understand why people don't want it. So come up with an alternative to
what we have now. I was rejected (because of a bum shoulder) last year for insurance. So last week, when
I had to get a colonoscopy and endoscopy done so the doctor could rule out cancer, I had to pay out of my
own own pocket. In total, with the doctor's visit, blood work and two procedures, I paid $1600.

If I DID have a tumor or something that needed to be operated on, I wold have had a bill that would
be in the tens of thousands and would have been bankrupt. So what is your plan to change that?

Not sure what you have for coverage, and honestly there really is no real way to return back to a cash only option.  Thought it was interesting that some are going back to it though.  One thing that had been implemented for the company that I work for was the Health Reimbursement Arrangement.  Couple this with flexible spending and a lot of certain expenses could be knocked out.  In regards to cancer, some have opted for insurance for this, but I guess what I've done is have "life expences" set aside to the best of my ability.  Medicaid and Medicare can and still do get turned down, who is to say that universal won't also?  They'll just simply use this as a measuring stick for it.

It really is a catch-22 of sorts on health care anymore because it has gone downhill due to the many issues of fraud potential, consumers not being educated on choice, etc.  The thing is life happens, and be it as much as we want to, nothing can always or fully prepare you for it, and if I lose a limb tomorrow, I may be in pain, and my quality of life is going to change, but that is only something that I myself will have to overcome.  Is there an easy fix? No, but educating people on relying on ways to set up emergency expense funds aside, and into low risk, mutual funds or high yield savings accounts in where the money works for you deal, can help for out of pocket.  Also some of the universal plans that have been implemented, sound like they have a percentage that is out of pocket, plus you still pay into them, it is just now they are in the form of taxes.

As I said, I was rejected outright because my shoulder. I have no insurance.

Expecting people to put aside tens of thousands of dollars for a possible surgery is not realistic
for a large chuck of the population. And with the way the economy is heading, it's going to be
even less of an option.

We need to change the system. Doing something about the pre-existing condition policies would
be a start.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #32 : July 30, 2008, 01:19:33 AM »

As the Presidential Election draws nearer and nearer, I was curious how some of you fellow Bucs fans felt about the Presidential hopefuls...

Your thoughts?

I'm afraid of Obama and Democrats desire to increase taxes (income, inheritance, estate) - also afraid that much of the anti-terrorism gains made by the current administration might be lost.   I still haven't decided on who to vote for. McCain is quirky in my opinion and seems to be aging rapidly - showing signs of mental deterioration.

TbayBucs

Pro Bowler

« #33 : July 30, 2008, 01:28:32 AM »

I love it when democrats call McCain another Bush and Conservatives say McCain is the closest thing to a democrat.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #34 : July 30, 2008, 07:36:25 AM »

Bottom line: when it comes to health insurance, people need to know that they simply can shop around for the best price for general care needs, same goes for generic alternatives

Actually that is the biggest flaw.

You can't really shop around especially with what is provided for some through their own workplace as that is the only one option.

The spirit of capitalism has yet to correct the issues the health insurance industry has because the competition isn't exactly healthy in this area. 

I can easily shop around for new car insurance and I will receive a letter from my car insurer in a friendly way to stay and not leave.  In comparison health insurance companies make it so shopping around is a futile exercise by discouraging it and the tone of a letter they send you comes off more cold.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #35 : July 30, 2008, 09:18:28 AM »

How about a government backed/owned insurance company.

Weren't Freddie and Fannie government backed/owned?

I'm sorry, I just don't know of any organization/company that is government run/owned/backed that runs well.  Do you have an example?

Badabing

Hall of Famer

« #36 : July 30, 2008, 09:22:33 AM »

I'm voting for America....John McCain in 08

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #37 : July 30, 2008, 09:30:29 AM »

I'm sorry, I just don't know of any organization/company that is government run/owned/backed that runs well. Do you have an example?

Fannie and Freddy were/victims of the system and regulations in place. 

The current healhcare system is one of the least efficient systems in the world, it couldn't really get any worse.  Other socialized medicine systems like the UK and Canada are only really suffering because they are under funded.  Our health care spending per capita is more than double that of the UK, yet 30% of our population have no health care.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #38 : July 30, 2008, 09:44:01 AM »

I'm sorry, I just don't know of any organization/company that is government run/owned/backed that runs well. Do you have an example?

Fannie and Freddy were/victims of the system and regulations in place. 

The current healhcare system is one of the least efficient systems in the world, it couldn't really get any worse.  Other socialized medicine systems like the UK and Canada are only really suffering because they are under funded.  Our health care spending per capita is more than double that of the UK, yet 30% of our population have no health care.

You don't have an example of a government organization that runs well?  I don't either.

I understand the thinking behind what you are saying.  It a perfect world with a perfect gov't it could and would work.  But based on history, I don't trust any gov't organization to run at a productive clip.  I can't think of any reason to trust why the gov't would be able to run a Healthcare program efficiently.

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

« #39 : July 30, 2008, 10:14:46 AM »

How many votes will be cast for Mickey Mouse? There's always at least a few

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #40 : July 30, 2008, 10:26:58 AM »

As I said, I was rejected outright because my shoulder. I have no insurance.

Expecting people to put aside tens of thousands of dollars for a possible surgery is not realistic
for a large chuck of the population. And with the way the economy is heading, it's going to be
even less of an option.

We need to change the system. Doing something about the pre-existing condition policies would
be a start.

Yeah, because you have your priorities for money right?  Because you need the big-screen tv so you "don't lose your signal..." so you have to spend the money that you make right away, instead of saving up.  There is this thing called self sacrifice that some seem to live out, and some don't.  Those that do, know that the government and handouts are never a solution to the problems of this world, so they simply don't spend more then what they make for money.

Did I ask for a handout?

Big screen TV? Try again. I have no luxury items. I own both of my cars and have done so for a long time.
The only "luxury" we have is where we live near the ocean. Don't make assumptions when you know
nothing about people. Like I said, there are a lot of other Americans worse off than I am and they
will not be able to save up tens of thousand of dollars for a possible surgery. A lot of my relatives
works their azzes off and still have trouble saving money. And they don't have fancy cars or
big screen tvs. You really need to wake up.

As far as the arguement against pre-existing goes insurance companies do that for the sake of not having someone come to them just for the sake of being sick.  The back end of insurance runs on a pool of moneys invested in not just any kind of stock, but the highest quality stock, they have to do this, in order for the pool of money to be there.   The pre-existing conditions has a end to term on it, and can be 12/18 mo.  Not saying that is easy for people to digest, but then again if people were educated, or better yet, took the time themselves to research it better, they may have found themselves without these difficulties.

I know all about the 12-18 month period and I'm as educated as you are on this. Lots of people here are too.
Fact is, the pre-existing rules need to change. As MJS said, making this into a non-profit situation could
be a way to solve some of the problems. You seem to think everything is fine and people should just
stop buying TVs and save their money. You're completely out of touch on this. You're the one who
needs to educate yourself. So I have a damaged shoulder and my entire body should be rejected
for insurance? Why not just rule out my shoulder for 12-18 months but insure the rest of me?
Like I said, things need to change. Anybody who looks at this situation sees that.

Bottom line: when it comes to health insurance, people need to know that they simply can shop around for the best price for general care needs, same goes for generic alternatives.  With my insurance, they lay it out plainly in front of you, what is in network and off network, what it costs for copays for pharmacy, and copays for the in network and off network choices as well.

I'm leaving myself out of this equation because if I had not been rejected, I could have afforded the premium
that I shopped around for.
 Ã‚ 
But lots of other people cannot afford the premiums no matter how much they shop around. What's so
hard for you to understand about that? Do some people waste their money on non-essential items like
big screen TVs? Of course. But like I said, plenty of people do not do that and barely get by as it is.
And that will only get worse as the economy slumps. You don't seem to comprehend that not
everybody is in the same situation as you are.

As far as your statement regarding people not, putting money away, that is a typical excuse, IMO, of people in general.  Because it cuts into buying the fun items on your wish list, no?  I just know that between, Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid, and the gov't, that I cannot rely on them to supply me with what I will need, especially when it comes to retirement.  I have insurance, that I'm paying for to protect not only short term but long term.  

Excuses? Like I said, you're totally out to lunch on this one.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #41 : July 30, 2008, 10:46:18 AM »

Change is needed, and just because government have done poor jobs in the past doesn't mean it should be discounted for the future.  Everything that has ever been developed and invented didn't work first time.  Things needs refining until they work.  If the UK health care system had an extra 10-20% funding it would work perfectly for all.  We spend more than double per capita than the UK, so there is more than sufficient funding in our current health care system to provide free POS health care for all.

NovaBuc

Starter

« #42 : July 30, 2008, 10:41:21 AM »

Government agencies that run well:

DARPA
 USGS
 Library of Congress
 National Agricultural Library
 Financial Management Service

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #43 : July 30, 2008, 11:56:53 AM »

Government agencies that run well:

DARPA
 USGS
 Library of Congress
 National Agricultural Library
 Financial Management Service

Assuming you are right about those agencies you listed, that's 5 out of how many gov't agencies?

I don't have the faith to hope that Universal Healthcare will be run efficiently by our National Gov't.

NovaBuc

Starter

« #44 : July 30, 2008, 12:40:01 PM »

I'm sure there are more, those are just the ones I came up with after a few minutes of thinking. There's literally hundreds of agencies, we tend to only hear about the problem ones like we tend to only hear about the bad news from Iraq. It's simply not a good story when things are going well no matter the topic it seems.
  Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Your Vote « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools