Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is the Saints offense really that good? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10

dbtb135

Practice Squad

: August 01, 2008, 10:48:36 PM

Saints fans, just what we need......

Honestly, I don't really see the problem. Yes, the Saints had an above average offense, and I think it will be back a few spots into top 10 with the addition of Shockey. That doesn't mean they're going to win the division or anything, so I don't see why people have such a hard time admitting it. If a division rival of ours said that our defense wasn't as good as people made it out to be, I'd think they're full of it. They've got all the talent to be a really good offensive team. Great weapons in the passing game, a near top-tier QB, and strong run blockers on the line. Nesbit, Goodwin, and Evans are somewhat comparable to what we have in Sears, Faine, and Davin. Although I need to mention that Nesbit wants to be Arron Sears when he grows up.

JC510

Practice Squad

#1 : July 30, 2008, 09:27:18 AM

They were 28th in ypc (same ypc they had in 2006, so you can't use the Duece excuse) and they had the 12th most turnovers. They averaged 5.5 yards per play, we averaged 5.4  Brees has gaudy stats because the Saints had 41 pass attempts per game, #1 in the NFL. 4 more than the 2nd most team. In yards per attempt they were only 17th.

OVERRATED

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#2 : July 30, 2008, 09:29:29 AM

Yea the Saints are definitely over-rated.  However, they do have plenty of weapons.  I mean Drew Brees, Reggie Bush, Duece McAllister, Marques Colsten, Jeremy Shockey.  They certainly have better weapons then us, but I do agree they are over-rated.  Hopefully their D still stinks, because if their D tightens up, it will be tough to beat the Saints for the division.

benchwarmer69

Hall of Famer

#3 : July 30, 2008, 09:43:20 AM

Yea the Saints are definitely over-rated. However, they do have plenty of weapons. I mean Drew Brees, Reggie Bush, Duece McAllister, Marques Colsten, Jeremy Shockey. They certainly have better weapons then us, but I do agree they are over-rated. Hopefully their D still stinks, because if their D tightens up, it will be tough to beat the Saints for the division.

pppttth.. The Saints call silly plays that don't work.

They have a weak O-line now.
There D-line needs alot more help.
Their WR core isn't all that.

If I were them. I'd rather have Jones-Drew & Tayor than the guys they wasted they're money on. Brees is barely a top 5-10 QB, and that's about all they have going for them in all honesty. All I see being better this year for them, would be theyre special-teams play. An that's only by a little bit. If injuries don't plague us, we should do fine against them. (crosses fingers)

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#4 : July 30, 2008, 09:46:46 AM

I'm not impressed. 

I'll take the bucs' D over the saints O ten times out of ten.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#5 : July 30, 2008, 09:47:32 AM

Don’t you find it odd that the media is all over the Saints?  Why is that?  We can’t blame it on Hurricane Katrina hype anymore.  The Saints have the best offense in our division and even if we add Favre, it will most likely still stay that way.  Reggie Bush stinks, IMO, but they do have a good offense and definitely a team that worries me heading into the season.  (But then again, I’m also worried about Carolina)  They added Vilma, McCray, Ellis, Gay, Tracey Porter to the defense.  I don’t think their D will magically turn into being good, but it should be improved and remember the division is not going to be as easy as last year when we took the last quarter of the season off…Unless ofcourse the Saints start out 0-4 again and Delhomme goes down in week 3.

marlevr

Second String
#6 : July 30, 2008, 09:48:18 AM

According to footballoutsiders.com, they were #7 in Team Offense. They ranked #8 in passing and #18 in rushing. The Bucs ranked #10 overall - #14 in passing and #5  rushing.

Their OL ranked #7 rushing - ours #6. They ranked #3 in pass protection, allowing only 16 sacks (3.6% sack rate). Our line ranked #24 in pass pro allowing 36 sacks (7.9% sack rate). In an interesting note, the Saints O-line ranked #1 in rushing between the C and Gs (Bucs ranked #4 in that dept), so the signing of Faine was a really good one and should improve our line a lot while hurting the Aints.

Snook

Hall of Famer
#7 : July 30, 2008, 09:53:06 AM

The Saints are a good team -- just not as good as the media hypes them up to be. 

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#8 : July 30, 2008, 09:55:50 AM

The Saints are a good team -- just not as good as the media hypes them up to be.

agreed.  It also annoys me when you see predictions for the upcoming year and they are of the exact same results as last year, with exception that the Saints win our division and we miss out on the playoffs.  That is certainly possible for the Saints to win, but it’s laughable that they have 11 returning playoff teams.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#9 : July 30, 2008, 10:05:57 AM

While their rushing numbers are similar, they were much more efficient in '06.  The reason for that is Duece.  Because of Duece, they were able to use Bush the only way he can truely be effective.  Because of Duece, their overall offense was more consistant... so your premiss of "so you can't use the Duece excuse" is faulty.

Also, define over-rated.  I personally think they are rated properly.  They aren't a top 3 offense, but they are a top 5-7... which is where most rate them at.  Now, if some want to push them into the top because of Shockey, I believe an argument can be made.

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

#10 : July 30, 2008, 10:07:19 AM

The Saints have a great QB in Brees. Teams with a great QB (or one that the media perceives as great) are always going to get more hype.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#11 : July 30, 2008, 10:25:09 AM

In an interesting note, the Saints O-line ranked #1 in rushing between the C and Gs (Bucs ranked #4 in that dept), so the signing of Faine was a really good one and should improve our line a lot while hurting the Aints.
Worth mentioning the Saints were 2-0 without Faine last season (5-9 with him) and scored 31 points in one game and 41 in the other.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#12 : July 30, 2008, 10:31:53 AM

I think they will be alright. Not when they play against our defense though.

Pewter Spot

Pro Bowler

#13 : July 30, 2008, 10:34:58 AM

Because of Chris Simms, we don't have Drew Brees in Tampa Bay.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#14 : July 30, 2008, 10:35:46 AM

In an interesting note, the Saints O-line ranked #1 in rushing between the C and Gs (Bucs ranked #4 in that dept), so the signing of Faine was a really good one and should improve our line a lot while hurting the Aints.
Worth mentioning the Saints were 2-0 without Faine last season (5-9 with him) and scored 31 points in one game and 41 in the other.

Who were those games against?

Page: 1 2 3 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is the Saints offense really that good? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools