Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is the Saints offense really that good? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10

hoodsbucs

Pro Bowler
#30 : July 30, 2008, 01:15:14 PM

They are a hell of a lot better on O than we are...

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#31 : July 30, 2008, 01:19:37 PM

Fixed it for ya...
Because of the Glazers Chris Simms, we have Chris Simms instead of Drew Brees in Tampa Bay.

Gruden never liked Simms... FROM DAY 1!

Please. Gruden gave Simms every opportunity to be the man. Simms was first off the bench when Brad Johnson got yanked in 2004, started 10 games in 2005 after Todd Steussie got Griese killed, and went into 2006 as the unquestioned starter with no real competition.

Doesn't mean GRUDEN didn't like him. Simms was a Glazers'/McKay pick, not an Allen/Gruden pick. When the owner says "I want this guy", you have no choice.

If the Bucs didn't keep idle with making Chris Simms the starting QB for 2006 the Bucs would've no doubt done everything they could to get Drew Brees.

It's because of a false hope in Simms' ability we lost out on a Top-5 QB in the NFL.

I hate Chris Simms.

Who offered Simms a long term deal with $10MM in guarantees before the 2006 season? Did the Glazers force that on Gruden and Allen?

After reading this.... http://tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/article615273.ece

Excerpt:
He also shed some new light on his deteriorating relationship with Jon Gruden, who was instructed by the Glazer family to keep Simms on the roster last season against the wishes of the head coach. The Bucs signed Simms to a contract extension at the end of the 2006 season that paid him $7-million over the past two seasons. He is scheduled to earn a $2-million base salary in 2008.

I'm going to have to say YES to that question.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#32 : July 30, 2008, 01:21:00 PM

Who offered Simms a long term deal with $10MM in guarantees before the 2006 season? Did the Glazers force that on Gruden and Allen?
For the record Simms' current deal (two years) was signed AFTER the 2006 season. He signed a one-year deal before the 2006 season.

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/football/nfl/players/Chris_Simms

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#33 : July 30, 2008, 01:25:06 PM

Pretty much because of the QB and the top end WR.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#34 : July 30, 2008, 01:26:31 PM

After reading this.... http://tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/article615273.ece

Excerpt:
He also shed some new light on his deteriorating relationship with Jon Gruden, who was instructed by the Glazer family to keep Simms on the roster last season against the wishes of the head coach. The Bucs signed Simms to a contract extension at the end of the 2006 season that paid him $7-million over the past two seasons. He is scheduled to earn a $2-million base salary in 2008.

I'm going to have to say YES to that question.
And Simms hasn't taken a snap since the Glazers gave him that extension and the roughly $3.5 million cap cost per year didn't prevent the team from signing anyone else Gruden could have wanted so Simms hasn't cost Gruden anything on the field because of the Glazers.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#35 : July 30, 2008, 01:27:17 PM

Pretty much because of the QB and the top end WR.
And GREAT pass protection.

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#36 : July 30, 2008, 01:29:23 PM

For the record Simms' current deal (two years) was signed AFTER the 2006 season. He signed a one-year deal before the 2006 season.

If I recall correctly, Simms turned down an offer after that '05 season to sign the one-year deal...that may be what bradentonian is referring to...

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#37 : July 30, 2008, 02:06:00 PM

If I recall correctly, Simms turned down an offer after that '05 season to sign the one-year deal...that may be what bradentonian is referring to...
Ooh forgot about that.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#38 : July 30, 2008, 03:17:47 PM

Brees is a good QB but after Colston who do they have at WR?  Guys not much better than Clayton/Stovall.  

In the running game, Graham, Dunn, Bennett vs McAllister(injury prone), Bush (can't take a hit), and Stecker, NO looks good for a game but they can't sustain for a season, add in the FBs and the Bucs have the edge.  But the running game is all about the line and here we have a BIG edge and Shockey doesn't block.

Without Faine their running game is going to suffer, shut down Colston and Shockey and they don't have that much.

Totally agree on their WRs.  And a lot of people bang on Faine and say "the two games he didn't start, they won!"  So what?

Then why was he their starting center for the past 2 seasons when he was healthy?  Like it or not, the Saints will suffer a little from the loss of Faine.  And the addition of Shockey doesn't add a new dimension to their offense (like I've heard and read OVER AND OVER).  Brees completed 75 passes to their 2 TEs last year.  Shockey is an upgrade, but its not a new dimension to their offense.  He's just another reason for the press to drool all over them. 

I've never understood the media's obsession with the Saints since Katrina.  Tampa's had a brutal past in the history of its franchise but the Saints franchise is historically HORRIBLE.  Their defense sucked in 2006 and again in 2007.  Their dome is disgusting...  One good season in 2006 and now everyone is in love with them.  Is it Reggie Bush?  Drew Brees?  I just don't get the love fest with the Saints.  Call it what you want - maybe its jealousy - it boggles my mind.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#39 : July 30, 2008, 03:27:15 PM

And the addition of Shockey doesn't add a new dimension to their offense (like I've heard and read OVER AND OVER). Brees completed 75 passes to their 2 TEs last year. Shockey is an upgrade, but its not a new dimension to their offense.

Eric Johnson was their receiving TE, who averaged a pedestrian 7.9ypc last year.  Shockey averaged 10.9.  I think that's something to get excited about.  I know which one the Bucs LBs would prefer to cover.

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#40 : July 30, 2008, 03:30:35 PM

Stealing Faine away is going to be a huge swing in our favor. We are damn near dominant at every position at the line whereas the Saints have some question marks now.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#41 : July 30, 2008, 03:44:26 PM

And the addition of Shockey doesn't add a new dimension to their offense (like I've heard and read OVER AND OVER). Brees completed 75 passes to their 2 TEs last year. Shockey is an upgrade, but its not a new dimension to their offense.

Eric Johnson was their receiving TE, who averaged a pedestrian 7.9ypc last year.  Shockey averaged 10.9.  I think that's something to get excited about.  I know which one the Bucs LBs would prefer to cover.

I didn't say its not an upgrade - because it is - its just not a new dimension like I've read and heard OVER AND OVER.

A "new dimension" would be adding something to their offense they didn't have before - in this case, a receiving TE - But the Saints already had that - they just now have a better one. 

See what I'm saying?

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#42 : July 30, 2008, 03:58:33 PM

I wouldn't under estimate Shockey's ability to wreck the team in the locker room faster then he can help them on the field.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#43 : July 30, 2008, 04:12:04 PM

Quarterback: Advantage Saints---Both teams have solid Quarterbacks but its hard to argue with Brees’ production.
WR/TE: Advantage Saints ---Aside from Colsten and Shockey the Saints really don’t have anyone.  However aside from Galloway, the Bucs are in the same boat
RB: Even----McAllister is the best back of the two teams, but gets injured too often.  Bush is a bust so far.  Graham did great last year but is unknown, while Dunn isn’t what he used to be.
OL: Advantage Bucs---The Saints have solid players in Jahri Evans and Jammal Brown, but the Bucs will boast arguably the best offensive line they have ever had.  Of course that isn’t saying much, but the Bucs offensive line is talented.

On Paper, their offense looks better, but offensive line is key but I don’t think losing a center is going to make them inept.  The return of McAllister and addition of Shockey will keep them good on offense and at least slightly better than us.

Defensive Line: Advantage Saints----Will Smith, Charles Grant, and the addition of Sedrick Ellis makes the Saints line pretty darn good.  The Bucs have potential with Adams and Haye, along with their sack leader in Greg White, but the Saints 2 defensive ends carry the load.

Linebackers: Advantage Bucs---We probably have the best core in the league.  The Saints have an injury recovering Vilma and that is it.

Secondary: Advantage Bucs--- Barber, Bucchanon, Talib, Jackson, Phillips.  That is tough to beat, especially when all you have is Mike McKenzie. 

Clearly on paper and on the field, the Bucs have the better defense.  No questions asked.

Overall, I will say the Bucs are a better team because defense wins games for you in the NFL.  The Bucs were 8-0 last year when they held the opposing team under 20 points.  The season will do the talking, and also keep an eye on the Panthers…

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#44 : July 30, 2008, 04:24:23 PM

Defensive Line: Advantage Saints----Will Smith, Charles Grant, and the addition of Sedrick Ellis makes the Saints line pretty darn good. The Bucs have potential with Adams and Haye, along with their sack leader in Greg White, but the Saints 2 defensive ends carry the load.
Bobby McCray is pretty good for a #3 DE.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is the Saints offense really that good? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools