Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Fantasy Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who do you have to get this year?! top 5! « previous next »
Page: 1 2

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#15 : August 01, 2008, 06:05:08 AM

EG over Peterson? I don't have to call you a homer, you have already declared yourself one with every post on PewterReport.com

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#16 : August 01, 2008, 04:59:34 PM

Couldn't agree more about Westbrook being underrated and a must-have. I got him in a trade last year and he was an absolute beast. Won me a couple of games single-handedly. I'm with ya Hate, I think Jonathan Stewart could have a big, big year.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#17 : August 01, 2008, 05:17:36 PM

Couldn't agree more about Westbrook being underrated and a must-have. I got him in a trade last year and he was an absolute beast. Won me a couple of games single-handedly.

Me too.  Except I drafted him...in the second round.   ;D

I, too, agree about Jonathan Stewart.  I think he will be the offensive rookie of the year.

buccanoles

Hall of Famer
#18 : August 01, 2008, 07:51:50 PM

EG over Peterson? I don't have to call you a homer, you have already declared yourself one with every post on PewterReport.com

Actually it's probably like 20%, but who's keeping track. ;D

Wait....... I just want to learn how to Dougie!

TRJ997

Second String

#19 : August 04, 2008, 11:05:26 AM

Most people here will disagree with me, but here are the top 5:

1. A. Peterson

Easily the most explosive runner in the league in the best possible situation. Minnesota is going to run the ball a ton this year, which will lead to AD getting 20-23 carries per game. Anyone who seriously watched him play last year will not hesitate in taking him 1st overall. He also has the best handcuff in the league. If AD goes down, you can count on Chester Taylor to deliver like a true #1. In fact, if Peterson wasn't on the Vikings, CT would be a late 1st/early 2nd round pick . . . I would love to invest in this backfield. On the other hand, if Tomlinson gets hurt again in SD this year, who is going to carry the load? Sprolles? There will be a RBBC if LT goes down.

2. Steven Jackson

My confidence in SJax is slightly waivering due to the holdout, but assuming he gets into camp soon, he is my #2 pick. He showed me something last season comming back strong from a torn groin after only missing 4 games. About a month ago, I saw an expert's mock draft where the 2007 WCOFF winner took SJax 1st overall. I think most people would agree that last season was an absolute worst case scenario for the Rams fantasy options . . . SJax put up 1,273 total yards and 6 TD's in 12 games, which projects to 1,700 yards and 8 TD's over a full season. He's a young stud who's going to "ball out for 2,000 yards." Book it.

3. L. Tomlinson

I'm actually lower on LT than this, but I'm not crazy enough to drop him any farther than 3. His career stats are amazingly similar to Emmitt Smith's through each's first 7 seasons:

Emmitt Smith: 3,044 touches; 14,091 total yards; 135 total TD's
Tomlinson: 2,918 touches; 14,460 total yards; 132 total TD's

Emmitt's 7th season was his last as a top fantasy RB. Just like many before him, the 3,000 touch plateau came with numerous injuries and inefective games. Last year LT had 9 games with fewer than 80 yards rushing and he had limited carries in weeks 15 and 16. Luckily he was playing two of the worst run defenses in the league those weeks and was able to deliver nicely when owners needed him most. This year's schedule of @ KC and @ TB in the fantasy playoffs isn't nearly as favorable. Finally, LT will be sitting out the entire preseason again, so he could easily start out slow like last season.

4. Joseph Addai

Obviously health is an issue (as it is with everyone), but Addai has less downside than anyone in the draft. There is no way he doesn't get 1,200+ rushing, 300+ receiving, and 12+ TD's if he plays 16 games.

5. Randy Moss

The most talented WR of my generation on the best offense in NFL history. The reason I have him rated this high is not because of his 18+ TD upside; its because he's almost guaranteed to put up 1,400 yards and 12 TD's if healthy. That kind of guaranteed production from a WR is worthy of a top 5 pick. Plus their schedule looks sweet.

In a PPR league Westbrook would probably move above Moss.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#20 : August 04, 2008, 12:42:12 PM

Most people here will disagree with me, but here are the top 5:

I'm not sure anyone can disagree with you. It's a matter of confidence. SJax could very well lead the league, because he has the potential. The question is, how confident are you that his O-line will block, and he will stay healthy. The only thing SJax has been consistent of every season is being dinged up. Sure he always seems to be on the field, but how many fantasy teams get killed each year because of the dreaded..."game time decision?" The week you start him, he sits. The week you sit him because you don't want to get burned is the week he reels off 125 and 2 TD's.  He's suffering from a groin problem now, and he's holding out. How's that groin going to be when he comes in cold and gets hit by LB's who are a week warm?

Brady should be in place of Jackson.

#21 : August 04, 2008, 02:09:01 PM

how can anyone overlook Moss? As long as he's with Brady he's a lock for 16+ tds IMO.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#22 : August 10, 2008, 05:19:51 PM

Top 5 overall
1. Ladanian Tomlinson
2. Adrian Peterson
3. Steven Jackson
4. Brian Westbrook
5. Tom Brady

Top 5 Value picks
1. Carson Palmer- You can probably get him as the 6th QB, after Brady, Peyton, Romo, Brees, and maybe even Anderson or Big Ben.  I think he will throw over 30 TDs and have a bounce back year.  Of course we all want Brady or Peyton, but I actually rate Carson as 3rd QB.  Again, it's just my opinion.

2. Steve Smith(CAR)- Being suspended for 2 games will make people scare to take him.  He will probably drop to the 4th or 5th round now and is a #1 Fantasy WR.  I say he is worth the risk.

3. Willie Parker- They have this guy rated in the 20s as far as backs go.  He didn't have many TDs last year but he still had the yards.  I think he will have a bounce back year and you can probably get him as your #3 back but he can have great #2 back numbers

4. Alge Crumpler- He isn't even listed as a starting TE for fantasy purposes, but if you're like me and like to wait on positions like K, DEF, and now TE; he could be a solid option as Young's safety net and you could probably get him late.

5. Look out for guys like Deuce McAllister, Fred Taylor, Rudi Johnson as far as RBs go.  Of course they are "old" but they are rated in the 30s as far as RBs goe and they are all their teams starters and as I wouldn't feel comfortable with any as my #2, it is definitely worth noting.  Also look out for WRs like Marvin Harrison and Lav Coles.  Harrison seems to be done, but he is certainly worth taking later on especially with Peyton as his QB.  He can easily get back to his good fantasy numbers.  As for Coles, I wouldn't take him too high, but with Favre there, I expect him to have better numbers.

Top 5 Fantasy Bust.

1. QB Derek Anderson-  Just my opinion, but this guy just screams fluke.  He had a good year, but I think you are out of your mind if you take him over a guy like Big Ben, Palmer, Romo, Brees, Hasselbeck, McNabb, etc.  In his last 9 games last year, he had 12 touchdowns and 11 interceptions.  Also look at Clevelands Schedule.  They play the NFC East, AFC South, their own division, Buffalo, and Denver.  Not only do I think the Browns will have double digit losses next season, but I think you will Brady Quinn get some playing time.  Let somebody else take the unknown in Anderson.  You can bet somebody will take him as their starter and you can get a veteran of which you will know what your getting.  I'm sorry but 1 year of Anderson doesn't make me feel comfortable drafting him.

2. RB Ryan Grant- Who is he again?  He had a good year, but again these 1 year hits don't make me comfortable in taking them.  I much rather have a guy like Clinton Portis, Larry Johnson or even Willis McGahee.  At least you know what you are getting in those guys.  Grant could be worse this year with inexperienced QBs and teams stacking the box.

3. RB Earnest Graham- Don't get me wrong, I love the guy and think he will be a solid starter for us, however with Dunn in the mix, he won't be getting all the carries.  I also don't feel he will duplicate those 10 TDs again.  He might and I hope he does, but again he had 1 year and now has to share the ball with Dunn.

4. QB Tom Brady/WR Randy Moss- I know they are first round picks and will still have solid years, but I think many are drafting these guys expecting them to duplicate those numbers.  I still rank them as the #1 QB and #1 WR but I don't think the Pats will go 16-0 again nor do I think Brady will toss 50 TDs with about half of them to Moss.  I think you can expect 30 TDs from Brady with about 12-15 for Moss.  Again, those are still great numbers, but I think their values will be over-rated because people will draft them with the first 8 picks expecting repeated 2007 success.

5. Braylon Edwards- He is rated top 5 WR in many books, but I dont see the Browns doing very well this year.  I think he'd be a good #2 Fantasy WR, but he will be somebody's #1...and I'm passing on him.

Again, it could turn out my value picks are busts and the busts are great picks...but those are just my opinions.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Fantasy Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who do you have to get this year?! top 5! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools