Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who do you want to see the Bucs sign in FA « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

watson

Hall of Famer
#30 : December 19, 2006, 08:43:24 PM

Per the topic, here are my FAs:

Jeff Garcia; Veteran WCO QB that can come in and be the starter as well as tutor for either Gradkowski or Simms if he re-signs or whoever they bring in via the draft

Lance Briggs: He is well versed in the Tampa 2 and has the speed that 55 used to have. Winborn is apparently well thought of by Kiffin the the other defensive coaches, but Briggs is a huge upgrade.

Nate Clements: Don't know if BK will recover from the foot problem and Clements is younger with good coverage skills

Bucs to re-sign:
White: Valuable swing player that can play either end position
Buchannon: Has shown that he is not afraid to tackle and his coverage skills are still very good

Brad,
There was something that I think it was Ronde or Quarles said on their show recently about Zemaitis still learning and having to overcome some issues.  Not sure what it was, but if he does that, I agree that corner may not be an issue.  I like what I have seen of Buchannon so far.  I know that he got a bit of a downgrade last week in the after game grades versus what he got against the Falcons, but what I saw it looked like the CBs were slipping alot on the turf.  I think he had the play diagnosed, but just couldn't keep his footing.

With Buchanon exceeding expectations and Zemaitis having a full season under his belt, is CB such a concern that we need a high $$ CB like Clements?

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

Orangegone1

Starter

#31 : December 19, 2006, 11:03:41 PM

I attached an article about the Dolphins cap room for next year. It also has the average for teams under the cap for 2007. It seems that if a player is good, his team will come up with the money to sign him. It may be a bidding war for average players. That is sort of what happens with baseball pitchers. Not good news for us.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-spdolphins03dec03,0,3219750.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#32 : December 19, 2006, 11:08:44 PM

Who do I want to see?  Lance Briggs.  Smith. Clements.

Who will they get?

I am not a big Cato June fan, but I guess beggars cannot be choosers.  I think June becomes a Buc.  And that might be all the splash you hear out of the Bucs in FA, I fear.  And maybe a Garcia, or a Brunell.

Who knows.

PoorRichard

Starter

#33 : December 19, 2006, 11:28:47 PM

First, they must resign Simms. Even if we add Garcia (which is definitely a good idea) too much has been invested to let Simms promise leave as he is on the cusp. But durability is a problem. I say, Simms #1, Garcia #1a, Gradowski/McCown 3/4(cut), Rattay is outta here on jan 1.

Beyond that we need an upgrade at LT over Davis for sure, he is a right tackle at best. Jeff Baccus from detroit would be an upgrade. Clements and Hamlin are must be targets. I wouldn't mind Freeny only if we get stronger up the middle. Is Kawika Mitchell a FA?? He has turned himself into a real player. What a great offseason to be a FA....it looks to be a player's market.

Generic Username

Practice Squad

#34 : December 19, 2006, 11:33:21 PM

Rickey Watters?

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#35 : December 19, 2006, 11:37:51 PM

Beyond that we need an upgrade at LT over Davis for sure, he is a right tackle at best. Jeff Baccus from detroit would be an upgrade.

Backus signed an extension with Detroit a few months ago

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#36 : December 19, 2006, 11:39:11 PM

First, they must resign Simms. Even if we add Garcia (which is definitely a good idea) too much has been invested to let Simms promise leave as he is on the cusp. But durability is a problem. I say, Simms #1, Garcia #1a, Gradowski/McCown 3/4(cut), Rattay is outta here on jan 1.

Garcia will only leave the Eagles for a starters spot IMO.  Simms will test FA and there will show interest, and he will most likely sign elsewhere.   Gruden needs a quick fix, and the best way of achieving that with his WCO is offereing Garcia the chance of starting.

PoorRichard

Starter

#37 : December 20, 2006, 12:08:37 AM

If the money is right, Simms will resign. Garcia will leave Philly b/c they won't pay him. The best he will get is $$ and a chance to compete. I don't think any team in the league will sign him as a sure-fire starter. His market will be teams with potenital but uncertainty at the position.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#38 : December 20, 2006, 12:16:03 AM

If the money is right, Simms will resign.

No doubt, but what is the "right money" ?   Chris signed the tender in record time last year and he now has a chance to test FA.  There is $400 million of cap space out there and very thin pickings at QB this FA.  So all things considered what is the right amount, what is he worth.  A transitional tag runs the risk of paying him around $7.5 million for one season.  I doubt he will sign anything less than a $6 million a year deal prior to FA.

Garcia will leave Philly b/c they won't pay him. The best he will get is $$ and a chance to compete. I don't think any team in the league will sign him as a sure-fire starter. His market will be teams with potenital but uncertainty at the position.

I think it is a sure fire certainty that the Eagles will offer him a very attracive back-up contract with McNabb coming back from injury.

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#39 : December 20, 2006, 12:19:20 AM

First, they must resign Simms.

They must quit Simms?  I agree.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#40 : December 20, 2006, 10:46:55 AM

I think it is a sure fire certainty that the Eagles will offer him a very attracive back-up contract with McNabb coming back from injury.

But even though Garcia won't be guaranteed a starting spot, I think he might look at what the Bucs have for competition and realize he can win it outright.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#41 : December 20, 2006, 10:50:02 AM

You also most understand that the Eagles are not willing to overpay for starters at certain spots (especially a backup position). Unless they do a complete 180 degree turn on their cap philosophy or Reid is fired I do not see them backing up the Wells and Fargo truck to Garcia's house.

But then again McNabb's future is very, very cloudy and he has shown to be more injury prone lately than Garcia himself who is also injury prone.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#42 : December 20, 2006, 10:58:30 AM

Really? That's interesting. I see him about every 3rd game (roughly) if he's in a game next to the game I'm watching so I don't get a lot of good looks at him. What do you see in him that upgrades over our Davis?

I'm not saying its a huge upgrade, but he's got more size than AD and I think the Cardinals were wrong to have him play OG and I can't fault him for his poor play inside versus his normal comfort area playing outside. He seems to be a more natural OT to me, and he's the only guy on the AZ line who has been able to hold down his position. Watching him play both inside and out, I like him working in space where he can get a solid base and turn guys outside as necessary. I think his feet are a little quicker than AD's, and I'd have to guess he's stronger, too. And he did make the ProBowl as an alternate, so there's some sense he's pretty good at the OT position around the league.

I think if you can sign LD for the right money, AD suddenly becomes a very valuable guy to you as a swing tackle.

While size does matter, it totally depends on the topic.  In this instance I don't think it does.  Yeah I'm the champion for the unheralded guy and you know that's where I'm going.  AD is probably the most fiery guy we have on this oline.  To include Buening. Ok so you bring in a LOT either draft or FA.  Then you want to make AD your swing tackle?  You think Trueblood, regardless of his draft status or play this year, is better than AD?  Why not move him to ROT and make Trueblood the swing guy?  Like him or not IMO, he's the only lineman we have with any kind of attitude...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

BucsAddict

Starter

#43 : December 20, 2006, 11:09:52 AM

Jeff Garcia to compete and provide depth.
Adalius Thomas would be great if Monte uses him right.
Dwight Freeney,I think he's just a younger Simeon Rice ( which is good and bad )
Rod Coleman would be great addition.

beyond that if the top notch FA's are already locked up by their own team, then we should save the additional free money for the following year and draft everything else.

==================================================
Gruden: Simms is gonna be a helluva quaterback- unless I screw it up.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#44 : December 20, 2006, 11:11:39 AM

Really? That's interesting. I see him about every 3rd game (roughly) if he's in a game next to the game I'm watching so I don't get a lot of good looks at him. What do you see in him that upgrades over our Davis?

I'm not saying its a huge upgrade, but he's got more size than AD and I think the Cardinals were wrong to have him play OG and I can't fault him for his poor play inside versus his normal comfort area playing outside. He seems to be a more natural OT to me, and he's the only guy on the AZ line who has been able to hold down his position. Watching him play both inside and out, I like him working in space where he can get a solid base and turn guys outside as necessary. I think his feet are a little quicker than AD's, and I'd have to guess he's stronger, too. And he did make the ProBowl as an alternate, so there's some sense he's pretty good at the OT position around the league.

I think if you can sign LD for the right money, AD suddenly becomes a very valuable guy to you as a swing tackle.

While size does matter, it totally depends on the topic.  In this instance I don't think it does.  Yeah I'm the champion for the unheralded guy and you know that's where I'm going.  AD is probably the most fiery guy we have on this oline.  To include Buening. Ok so you bring in a LOT either draft or FA.  Then you want to make AD your swing tackle?  You think Trueblood, regardless of his draft status or play this year, is better than AD?  Why not move him to ROT and make Trueblood the swing guy?  Like him or not IMO, he's the only lineman we have with any kind of attitude...

If we draft (Joe Thomas) or pick up FA (L Davis) a guy that can step in at LOT, I'd like to see AD compete at ROT and at LG for a starting spot.  As Chev points out, the guy plays with a high motor, and is a leader on the line (maybe that'snot saying much this year, but...).  He definitely desrves a shot to earn a place.  With Buenning possibly not being ready to start the season, i think his best shot is at LG.  But it would be great to have someone to push True, as I don't think he has been very impressive this year, and some competition could help him step up his game.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who do you want to see the Bucs sign in FA « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools