Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pre-Season Coaches Poll « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#45 : August 04, 2008, 11:11:12 AM

When discussing last year, I think the major problem with OSU's being in the Championship game is where they were ranked in the first place at the beginning of the year.  Their performance in the Championship game the year before should have effected the voters more than it did.  Just because they are Ohio State isn't reason enough to give them a top five ranking.  If they weren't ranked so high, the losses would hurt them even more.  Georgia AND USC were better than OSU last year, IMO.

That being said, this year's OSU team should be better than last years.  But I still do not think they should be handed a Championship game if there is a deserving other team.

I don't see how someone can argue that OSU deserves to be in the National Championship game after the last two years.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#46 : August 04, 2008, 11:20:40 AM

What does the preseason rank have to do with anything, especially last year of all years?  They won their conference (BCS conference), how can they not be "deserving" of a spot in the title game.  Whether they appeared to deserve it after the fact is a whole 'nother discussion. 

I don't see how a team that doesn't even make their conference championship game can enter into the discussion.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#47 : August 04, 2008, 11:49:49 AM

What does the preseason rank have to do with anything, especially last year of all years?

It's much easier to come back from an early loss when you are ranked higher in the beginning.

They won their conference (BCS conference), how can they not be "deserving" of a spot in the title game.

So did Virginia Tech, USC, West Virginia, and Oklahoma.  All of them had a high SoS than OSU.  I wonder how many games OSU would have lost if they had a tougher schedule?

I don't see how a team that doesn't even make their conference championship game can enter into the discussion.

Because that team was playing some of the best football in the country at the end of the season.  Georgia wasn't in the conference championship game because they lost to Tennessee earlier in the season.  Tennessee wasn't the best team in the SEC east, they were the third team at best.

Georgia deserved to be in the conversation with USC and OSU.  Many of the "professional analysts" were saying so as well...not just the SEC homers.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#48 : August 04, 2008, 12:03:27 PM

Last year was a crazy season.  Who knows what would have happened?  Polls are just a portion of the BCS standings (which do not come out until what the 4th or 5th week of the season). 

I wouldn't have a problem with someone saying any of those other conference winners deserved a spot over OSU.  That's fine.  There's a system in place that takes out a lot of the opinion and rewards teams based on SOS as well as other factors.  Like I said before, it's not perfect, but it's what we got. 

Georgia may have been one of the best teams at the end of the season, but they were a two loss team that didn't make it to their conference title game.  Sorry, but that eliminates them from contention in my book.

According to the "professional analysts" the Giants weren't one of the top two teams in the NFL last year.  We saw how that played out.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#49 : August 04, 2008, 12:16:01 PM

According to the "professional analysts" the Giants weren't one of the top two teams in the NFL last year.  We saw how that played out.

I was just pointing out that the SEC homers weren't the only people throwing Georgia's name out there.

I put "professional analysts" in quotations for a reason.   :D

#50 : August 04, 2008, 12:17:54 PM

Anybody else wondering how Ohio State is ranked #3 again?! I don't think I'll ever understand it...
Idk, maybe because we got most of our starters back. Sounds like someone is just jealous.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#51 : August 04, 2008, 12:23:52 PM

i think this would be an endorsement for a school such as georgia last year.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#52 : August 04, 2008, 12:25:16 PM

Anybody else wondering how Ohio State is ranked #3 again?! I don't think I'll ever understand it...
Idk, maybe because we got most of our starters back. Sounds like someone is just jealous.

im pretty sure no Gator fan is jealous of osu right now.   i guess we'll see when osu actually plays a ranked team...

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#53 : August 04, 2008, 12:27:15 PM

According to the "professional analysts" the Giants weren't one of the top two teams in the NFL last year.  We saw how that played out.

I was just pointing out that the SEC homers weren't the only people throwing Georgia's name out there.

I put "professional analysts" in quotations for a reason.  :D

I know, but SEC "homers" seem to really have a problem with OSU getting there.  Which is ironic since the SEC has also been represented the past two seasons and won the game.

My point about the Giants was simply that just because a team doesn't appear to be deserving on paper doesn't mean they didn't earn the right to be there.  Giants won, OSU didn't.  So it goes.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#54 : August 04, 2008, 12:31:48 PM

its just can be a bad situation with a junk method of finding a true winner.  everyone has their own priorities which leads to more problems. 

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#55 : August 04, 2008, 06:11:12 PM

WOW.

Are you really an OSU fan saying a Gator fan is jealous?

Seriously?

And you dont have to be an SEC homer to see that OSU blew nuts last year and would've gotten whooped by USC or Georgia. OSU got into that game b/c they're OSU. They came out ranked high (b/c of being OSU) and they played as cupcake a schedule as you can get and got in on their name.

Should their be a playoff? Probably not. But there should be extra games played to determine true champions.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#56 : August 04, 2008, 07:06:25 PM

We should have a playoff. The BCS is dumb.

good idea.

Because we all want to see OSU/USC game mean nothing, and Georgia/ASU mean nothing.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#57 : August 04, 2008, 07:18:19 PM

good idea.

Because we all want to see OSU/USC game mean nothing.

Either of those teams could lose that game and still end up in the National Championship game.  It would mean a helluva lot more if it was at the end of the season since neither team has a conference championship game.

gatorgirl!

Starter

#58 : August 04, 2008, 09:28:30 PM

My point about the Giants was simply that just because a team doesn't appear to be deserving on paper doesn't mean they didn't earn the right to be there.  Giants won, OSU didn't.  So it goes.

And just because OSU appeared to be deserving on paper doesn't mean that they earned the right to be there. The Giants got a chance to play in a playoff system to determine whether they got a chance as a Superbowl contender.

If college had a playoff, I'd bet my house that Georgia would've been in the NC game long before OSU.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#59 : August 04, 2008, 09:41:05 PM

good idea.

Because we all want to see OSU/USC game mean nothing.

Either of those teams could lose that game and still end up in the National Championship game.  It would mean a helluva lot more if it was at the end of the season since neither team has a conference championship game.

True for OSU

Not true for USC. They will lose one in the pac-10

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pre-Season Coaches Poll « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools