Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Fantasy Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Randy Moss at 5. Smart or Stupid? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

benchwarmer69

Hall of Famer

#15 : August 24, 2008, 09:12:10 AM

Moss isn't worth even ten this season. They guy will be double-covered all year long. Imo, most teams would rather take theyre chances with welker and NE's RB's, than let RM kill them off. I'd go with T.O., Brady, or M Barber before I went for Moss. If possible westbrook.

BTW...anyone tried that auction-draft yet? what did you think of it?

kmitchell

Starter

#16 : August 24, 2008, 12:10:15 PM

Moss was double covered all last season too, after week 1. The only way to stop Moss is to hit Brady fast, and only the Giants could do that. You can quote me Moss will get 16 TD"s and atleast 1200 yards.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#17 : August 24, 2008, 11:54:20 PM

Great, but when your best RB gets 850 yards and 6 TD, both you and Randy Moss will be enjoying the playoffs from the couch.

benchwarmer69

Hall of Famer

#18 : September 01, 2008, 11:43:10 AM

Yeah, he's a great pickup for sure, but he wont see the ball quite nearly as much this year. After putting up the numbers he did last year, teams would be insane not to worry about him.

You may think differently, but I feel the first pick should be either RB or QB. The rule of thumb, is that you pick up the players that will see the ball more often, or teams where a player is the "centerpiece" (e.g. Clinton Portis, LT, etc). Depending if you are in a auction or reg draft, I would have to say wait for Moss. If it doesn't happen, there's still a huge portion of good WR's. All the while you would be sitting pretty with a great QB, or a westbrook or LT type. It always helps if you get players all from different teams (just in case there's a slump)

One of my drafts looked like this..
Westbrook in the first.
P Manning in the second. <- *(Was lucky, as there was speculation that he wasn't healing well. I guess people were worried about that.)
Ocho in third
E. Graham in the 4th.
A Boldin @ 5th

All in all, I suffered only a little at the WR position, but not too much. And as a bonus, I drafted two/three great players that get the ball ALOT. However Moss & a healthy OCHo would be sweet as well.

***IMO if you have a "Manning" on your team, you'll do everything it takes to get him on the field on gameday. I don't care if he lost a leg this off-season, they would just have him fixed with one of those "prosthetic-hockey-stick-looking" legs, a jar of penicillin, and a hot nurse wouldn't hurt either... he'll be fine come regular season.

benchwarmer69

Hall of Famer

#19 : September 01, 2008, 10:29:07 PM

Not bad KM.

Johnson's always racking up numbers, and a BIG part of they're team. Westbrook is nearly a lock for the top three RB's in the NFL when healthy. And Fitz doesn't seem to rack up TD's like alot of WR's, but does get the ball thrown to him all the time. I like the pick with Warner. He should do well with Fitz & Boldin (as any QB should). He had less elsewhere, and did well with it. It'll be interesting to see how he produces. The articles I've read all clam that he's been throwing really well. Pretty obvious, when they bench they're golden-boy for him.

I myself wouldn't mind a QB in the first two rounds though.

Reasons..

1. QB's get the most amount of time with the ball. Even IF they suck, they still have more opportunities to do something with the ball than a WR, RB, TE and so forth. He will make up the majority of the points for a team.
2. IF the QB has been on that team for awhile (and it's been productive), it's usually worth the sacrifice for the big numbers.
3. If the focial point is supposed to be the passing game. In otherwords, don't get any QB's from Washington, Tampa, Minnie, etc. because they are a run-heavy off.
4. The team you're QB is on, has a great defense. Gives them better field position for that easy TD. <This works better if you are in later rounds and need a backup... or have ignored the QB postion altogether for RB's or WR's lol.  :D
5. Look at the teams they play before the draft... If they have poor defensive teams to play against, you can assume that they will do better than their average. You want your QB to be on a team that is unlikely to have that "end of the year flop" when they don't get into Playoffs.

Don't get me wrong, with my first pick, the majority of the time, I do go with RB.
Depending on where you sit on the draftboards, QB at 2 isn't bad at all. If you are last in the first round, it's probably better to get the QB. I wouldn't wait past the third though, otherwise you'll be left with Kitna, Rodgers, Pennington, etc. An no one wants to see that.

kmitchell

Starter

#20 : September 01, 2008, 09:35:52 PM

I had the 5th pick in a 14 team league.
Ended up going
Westbrook
A Johnson
L Fitzgerald
Thomas Jones
R White
N Burleson
K Warner.

I think its dumb to grab a qb in the 1st or 2nd, unless you can get Brady. The rest are all to close together in points per game.
Kurt Warner averaged 16.9 over his last 10 games, Peyton averaged 17.1. Peyton went in the 1st round and Warner went in the 7th...

kmitchell

Starter

#21 : September 01, 2008, 11:45:13 PM

I'm not sure who I should start in my #3 WR spot, Roddy White or Nate Burleson. White is the better athlete but I'm not sure how often Matt Ryan will get him the ball. Burleson is a less-gifted athlete, but is the #1 target to a probowl QB.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#22 : September 05, 2008, 08:37:06 AM

Easy choice, Burleson.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Fantasy Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Randy Moss at 5. Smart or Stupid? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools