Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Obama Blames Cheney yet Gives No Solution for Oil « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

acacius

Hall of Famer

#45 : August 07, 2008, 10:32:26 AM

I like the plan for mining the moon for H3 (Helium 3) for safer nuclear power.

I actually agree with quite a lot of your post, but this part of it is really, really excessively optimistic.  Unfortunately, the problems with practical fusion power plants go far beyond the accessibility of particular isotopes.

cskapper

Starter
#46 : August 07, 2008, 10:58:06 AM

I like the plan for mining the moon for H3 (Helium 3) for safer nuclear power.

I actually agree with quite a lot of your post, but this part of it is really, really excessively optimistic.  Unfortunately, the problems with practical fusion power plants go far beyond the accessibility of particular isotopes.

Thank you.  And I agree it is excessively optimistic.  It's an idea and it should be explored with a plethora of others and hopefully, we will find something to overcome our oil addiction.  We are not even a Type 1 civilization based on the Kardashev scale and without some means of increasing our solar or fusion power capabilities, we will be stuck with the gas nozzle attached to our cars like a heroin needle sticking out of an opiated addict.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 "Never argue with an idiot lest they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

bait619

Starter

#47 : August 07, 2008, 12:21:46 PM

why don't we stick with fission right now...using a helium coolant and moderator and graphite to house the fuels can reduce the danger of radioactive waste since graphite is not water soluble

look up PBMR, it is interesting and simple technology that i can't figure out why we don't use

Admirebucs

Starter

#48 : August 07, 2008, 12:24:09 PM

Im sorry but drilling isn't a solution to oil.

1. The oil don't be available for a long time, it takes time to find, drill and make the oil ready.

2. There isn't nearly enough.

The only option is to change the energy policy and start finding alternatives.

cskapper

Starter
#49 : August 07, 2008, 02:23:39 PM

why don't we stick with fission right now...using a helium coolant and moderator and graphite to house the fuels can reduce the danger of radioactive waste since graphite is not water soluble

look up PBMR, it is interesting and simple technology that i can't figure out why we don't use

Thanks, I'll check it out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 "Never argue with an idiot lest they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Obama Blames Cheney yet Gives No Solution for Oil « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools