Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Get over it « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

: August 07, 2008, 09:53:39 AM

Man this is place is buzzing.  Even at 1am last night this place looked like someone kicked over an ant hill.  favre to the Jets??? WHAT?? Fire Alllen!!!!The Bucs screwed up!!! Blah, blah blah.  The fact is we were never as serious of a player for Favre as some of the alleged "sources" made us out to be.  Look at our offer.  Simply put, Allen threw something against the wall to see if it would stick.  If we could snag favre for a mid rd pick then he was willing to take a shot.  But why should we get into a bidding war when 1 month ago everyone around here was excited about the Bucs in 2008.  Coming off a playoff birth: we have a top 5 defense, one of the better young o-lines in the league , a solid 3 headed RB committee and a pro bowl QB in year 2 of the offense (with depth behind him).  We aren't dealing from a position of weakness.  Thus, we dont have to overpay.  I for one would have been pissed if we gave up a 2nd or 3rd for Favre, especially if it could escalaye to a 1st.  Sorry, that is too rich for me when you consider the fact that Favre is a 1 and done hired gun who has a ton of catching up to do on his new team. 

Favre was a target of opportunity, not a primary objective.  If we could have snagged him at a discount, then Allen would have done so.  But we aren't weak enough at QB to pay a premium for him.  I applaud Allen for recognizing this.  more then that, i feel relieved that this drama is over.  all the hype, the dozens of daily favre threads, every yahoo claiming they heard something from their "sources".... its over.  we can resume our regularly scheduled programming.  given what we did last year and what we have this year i feel good about the status quo. Yet most of you are still fuming mad that Allen is "too cheap".  Hell, the way some of you talk we may as well mail in the season now.  why?  because we didnt bring in lord favre?  dont jump off the cliff lemmings.  the guy isnt super man and this isnt madden football. it was an embarrassingly unrealistic expectation that many here had that he could be instantly plugged in days before the season and peel off a 14-2 record and duplicate his stats from last year in route to a lombardi trophy.  check out bretts stats in 05 and 06 before you prematurely celebrate what he could do in 08.  at the end of the day, we are a ball control offense that requires a game manager to limit turnovers, not a gun slinger who'll likely toss 20 picks.  that isnt hyperbole either.  the guy has 100 picks in the last 5 years and is the nfl all time leader in picks in a scheme that he is familiar with.  what do you think he'd do here in unfamiliar surroundings? the jets will soon discover that the grass isnt always greener on the other side.  i'm glad we dodged that bullet. 

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#1 : August 07, 2008, 09:55:13 AM

But we aren't weak enough at QB to pay a premium for him.

This will be determined with the pre season games and how the QB's play.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#2 : August 07, 2008, 10:07:37 AM

#20 in TD passes in 2007 (tied with Falcons, Bears, and Redskins) would indicate a bit of a weakness.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#3 : August 07, 2008, 10:10:30 AM

Why do you people keep say We made an offer.  I've read or seen nothing to that fact.  All I've read is the Jets made and "offer" and the Bucs were "asked" to give.  I know those are subtle words that can be misconstrued but it tells me that GB was driving this process the whole time and meant for Brett to be out of the NFC.

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#4 : August 07, 2008, 10:12:09 AM

I would have liked to see Favre here. Still, I'm not heartbroken that he's not. So how can I be upset?

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#5 : August 07, 2008, 10:14:31 AM

#20 in TD passes in 2007 (tied with Falcons, Bears, and Redskins) would indicate a bit of a weakness.

contrary to what you think, we arent a passing team.  we are a ball control offense that relies on defense and running the ball to win games.  that is the formula.  look at the the money and draft picks spent on the o-line.  gruden wants to pound the rock.  the objective of the QB position isnt to win games, its to avoid losing them, at least that is the objective in this scheme.  avoiding turnovers is even more important that tossing a high number of tds.  

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#6 : August 07, 2008, 10:16:54 AM

I would have liked to see Favre here. Still, I'm not heartbroken that he's not. So how can I be upset?

Agreed DTG...you can be mad if you're not a fan of the Bucs, you can be mad of you're a crumudgeo of a fan who only likes to gripe, or you're just a freakin troll...other than that any self respecting Bucs fan will see this for what it really is and understand in a lot of ways we're better off...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#7 : August 07, 2008, 10:18:22 AM

contrary to what you think, we arent a passing team.  we are a ball control offense that relies on defense and running the ball to win games.  that is the formula.  look at the the money and draft picks spent on the o-line.  gruden wants to pound the rock.  the objective of the QB position isnt to win games, its to avoid losing them, at least that is the objective in this scheme.  avoiding turnovers is even more important that tossing a high number of tds.  
1-8 in games where the opponent scores more than 14 points. The Bucs don't have Warren Sapp, Simeon Rice, Hardy Nickerson, John Lynch, young Derrick Brooks, and young Ronde Barber anymore. They need points through the air.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

bucnut

Hall of Famer
#8 : August 07, 2008, 10:19:12 AM

I agree with you guys that this thing has been overblown, not by Allen, but by the media.  Allen did his due diligence, the cost to obtain Favre wasn't in line with what we were willing to pay, we pass.  We didn't need Favre so have absolutely no problem with this.  We're going to the playoffs anyway, so why give up a high draft pick?  Why chance ruining the TEAM chemistry? 

My question is, how long will it take this board to get over it?  Anybody want to do an over/under? :)

NFC South BBS Viva la Grudenistas!  GO GATORS!!!

The Q

Pro Bowler

#9 : August 07, 2008, 10:19:24 AM

I think that Bruce Allen did his due diligence for the BUCS. The Packers didn't like his pitch, so they shipped the thing off to NY.
Get over it.....Please.

The BUCS are gonna surprise people this year!

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#10 : August 07, 2008, 10:20:30 AM

1-8 in games where the opponent scores more than 14 points. The Bucs don't have Warren Sapp, Simeon Rice, Hardy Nickerson, John Lynch, young Derrick Brooks, and young Ronde Barber anymore. They need points through the air.

Why?  Are points on the ground no longer allowed in football?

bucnut

Hall of Famer
#11 : August 07, 2008, 10:22:30 AM

Geez, now it matters how points are scored?  ROFLMAO!!!!

NFC South BBS Viva la Grudenistas!  GO GATORS!!!

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#12 : August 07, 2008, 10:23:41 AM

I agree with you guys that this thing has been overblown, not by Allen, but by the media. Allen did his due diligence, the cost to obtain Favre wasn't in line with what we were willing to pay, we pass. We didn't need Favre so have absolutely no problem with this. We're going to the playoffs anyway, so why give up a high draft pick? Why chance ruining the TEAM chemistry?

My question is, how long will it take this board to get over it? Anybody want to do an over/under? :)

I'd say you'd have to measure that in wins and losses of the Bucs and Jets.  If we start out 4-0 and the Jets stumble, some will get over it and be ok.  But if we stumble and the Jets are on fire we'll hear about it for years to come...you know we don't get over things easily here...I'm sure there's a Tony Dungy post about to bust out and blame him in this as well... ;)

InlandTaipan

Practice Squad

#13 : August 07, 2008, 10:24:37 AM

Exactly RPC…the Bucs under Gruden have never been a pass first team so that ridiculous stat of #20 in passing TD means little to me.  I for one am glad that Favre ended up in NY and now the Bucs can move forward with their season.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#14 : August 07, 2008, 10:27:40 AM

contrary to what you think, we arent a passing team.  we are a ball control offense that relies on defense and running the ball to win games. 

It will be even moreso this season. Gruden, now more than ever, really wants to run the football.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Get over it « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools