Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2006 All Rookie Team « previous next »
Page: 1

quezilla

Hall of Famer
: December 20, 2006, 01:21:49 PM

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=nfl/misc/scrimmage.htm

Many of these OL guys were associated with the Buc's from the 2006 draft.  Mangold/ and McNeil in particular.

OFFENSE
QB Vince Young, Titans - Might still be the least polished of the "Big 3" quarterbacks selected in the '06 Draft, but his 7-4 record speaks for itself.

RB Maurice Jones-Drew, Jaguars - Reggie Bush has been good, too, but Jones- Drew has more offensive yards (1143 to 1125) and is way ahead in touchdowns (13 to 7).

FB Oliver Hoyte, Cowboys - Undrafted rookie from N.C. State has made four starts at fullback for America's Team.

Maurice Jones-Drew's 1143 offensive yards and 13 touchdowns both rank above Reggie Bush.

WR Marques Colston, Saints - Fourth-to-last pick in the draft just went over the 1,000-yard mark.

WR Santonio Holmes, Steelers - Hasn't made up for the absence of Antwaan Randle El, but has generated an impact with 40 catches and some big moments in the return game.

TE Owen Daniels, Texans - Fourth-round pick never had more than 25 catches or four touchdowns in a season in four years at Wisconsin. In '06: 34 receptions, 5 TD.

C Nick Mangold, Jets - Looks like multiple Pro Bowls could be in his future.

G Jahri Evans, Saints - Fourth-round pick out of Division II Bloomsburg looked like a project, but has developed quickly in starting 14 games.

G Jason Spitz, Packers - Third-rounder has been the most consistent of Packers' three o-line rookies.

T Marcus McNeill, Chargers - Has been dominant at times in 14 starts at left tackle, despite breaking both hands along the way.

T Andrew Whitworth, Bengals - Took over at left tackle when Levi Jones got hurt, and (despite struggles against Dwight Freeney on Monday night) has done a credible job at a notoriously difficult spot.

DEFENSE
DE Tamba Hali, Chiefs - First-round pick out of Penn State has started every game, and has six sacks, four forced fumbles, and an interception to show for it.

DE Mark Anderson, Bears - Fifth-round selection ranks among league leaders with 10 sacks in a situational role.

Tamba Hali has six sacks, four forced fumbles, and an interception for the Chiefs this season.

DT Barry Cofield, Giants - One of the most consistent (and consistently healthy) members of the Giants defense has 40 tackles to his credit on the season.

DT Haloti Ngata, Ravens - Ray Lewis' hand-picked space-eater has stabilized the league's No. 1 defense.

LB Ernie Sims, Lions - Detroit has been awful, but Sims' 116 tackles have been a bright spot.

LB DeMeco Ryans, Texans - 137 tackles, 3.5 sacks, and should be at the heart of the Texans' defense for years to come.

LB A.J. Hawk, Packers - Leads Packers with 109 stops, and has played particularly well during team's recent 5-4 run.

CB Tye Hill, Rams - Most productive of first-round corners has three interceptions and a fumble recovery to his credit.

CB Richard Marshall, Panthers - Has been more consistent than both Ken Lucas and Chris Gamble, and his three picks lead the team.

S Donte Whitner, Bills - Hasn't made enough big plays (especially for the No. 8 overall pick), but his future looks bright.

S Dawan Landry, Ravens - Fifth-round pick won the strong safety job out of training camp, and has 62 tackles, four interceptions, and a pair of sacks since earning it.

SPECIAL TEAMS
K Stephen Gostkowski, Patriots - He's only made two kicks of 40 yards or longer, but his 10 kickoffs for touchbacks are a plus.

P Jon Ryan, Packers - Former CFL star is averaging 44.8 yards per punt.

RS Devin Hester, Bears - Has six returns for touchdowns in one of the finest seasons for a special-teamer in league history.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 20, 2006, 01:25:10 PM

I'm still disappointed we didn't take Mangold.   

shall555

Starter

#2 : December 20, 2006, 01:40:00 PM

I'm disappointed we didn't take Mark Anderson. He had Sim's measurables and would've been a cheap replacement.

magicfan39126

Pro Bowler

#3 : December 20, 2006, 01:50:57 PM

I'm still disappointed we didn't take Mangold.

Me two.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#4 : December 20, 2006, 02:09:38 PM

I think a Marcus McNeil and Jason Spitz draft looks alot better than Davin and True. Amazing how teams went a got good guards out of those 3-5 rounds, who'da ever thunk it.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

SamoaJoeBucFan

Starter

#5 : December 20, 2006, 02:35:01 PM

I wish we would have picked Mathias Kiwanuka.  IMO he was a steal where the Giants got him.

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#6 : December 20, 2006, 05:55:21 PM

S Donte Whitner, Bills - Hasn't made enough big plays (especially for the No. 8 overall pick), but his future looks bright.

Hasn't made enough big plays? Then what the heck is he doing in that list (especially since he was the NO.8 overall pick)

Why is Reggie Bush mentioned? Hes had one dominant game and thats it. Credit should be given to Laurence Maroney and Jospeh Addai since they've both been better this year than Reggie.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

devasher

Starter
#7 : December 20, 2006, 09:05:31 PM

I think a Marcus McNeil and Jason Spitz draft looks alot better than Davin and True. Amazing how teams went a got good guards out of those 3-5 rounds, who'da ever thunk it.

Wow dal, hate to call you out like this.....but werent you arguing with me at length before the draft about just how foolish Nick Mangold would be in the first round since we could get other centers at equal or better quality later on as they were such a non-premium position regardless of the player?(thus coinciding with the point you are trying to remind people of now about D. Joseph) And didnt you then point out that you thought Eslinger was an equal or greater center and how you couldnt understand the hype around Mangold??

While you try to think of a way to spin your story you can read about Adam Shefters picks for Pro Bowl snubs

ie "Nick Mangold, Jets -- Even better as a rookie than the more heralded D'Brickashaw Ferguson."
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9880915

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#8 : December 20, 2006, 09:09:54 PM

I still don't know why we didn't take McNeil.  Also I was screaming for Mark Anderson and we passed him up as well.  Hind sight is 20-20 I guess but I thought we should have taken these guys at the time.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#9 : December 21, 2006, 09:10:17 AM

Wow dal, hate to call you out like this.....but werent you arguing with me at length before the draft about just how foolish Nick Mangold would be in the first round since we could get other centers at equal or better quality later on as they were such a non-premium position regardless of the player?

You know what, Mangold is good. Congrats, the Jets got that one in a bazillion hit. Thats not really calling me out- although I did think Eslinger would be a good pro.

I'll tell you from now until Armageddon not to hit on a 19 if the dealer is showing an 8 but you know what at some point you hit and win and sometimes you make the "right" play and lose. Odds are odds for a reason. I think you play the odds and go where you have the best chance. That means I'd have never drafted Steve Hutch or Mangold or Ray Guy for that matter. I'm willing to risk that. The draft is basically a very expensive type of gambling and you always want to help your odds and make the best possible play.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#10 : December 21, 2006, 10:49:39 AM

I still don't know why we didn't take McNeil. Also I was screaming for Mark Anderson and we passed him up as well. Hind sight is 20-20 I guess but I thought we should have taken these guys at the time.

With regard to McNeil, there were huge, and I mean HUGE doubts surrrounding the Stenosis problem he has in his spine (some degenarative condition). So, had we picked him, there was a big risk that he may have done a Chris Colmer and never played for us. The Chargers just got lucky really, but there was never any doubting McNeil's talent.

As for Anderson, Im REALLY annoyed that we didnt draft him now for obvious reasons. At the time, I wanted him over Jenkins, because I knew our Pass Rush was still crap and we had done nothing to address it. I was also annoyed that we drafted another tweener when at the time I would have wanted someone who could flat out pass rush (ie. Mark Anderson).

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

watson

Hall of Famer
#11 : December 21, 2006, 10:57:11 AM

And the Rookie of the Year last year was who?  And who is getting hammered for their play this year?  Making the all rookie team does not guarantee a great career.  I'll wait until year 3 or 4 before I start to see where the draft measures up.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

flyinbuc

Pro Bowler

#12 : December 21, 2006, 11:22:20 AM

Before everyone gets all warm and fuzzy with the I told you so's with the draft picks please remember that 1 year does not a career make Ala L Davis. M Clayton etc.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#13 : December 22, 2006, 01:13:45 AM

With regard to McNeil, there were huge, and I mean HUGE doubts surrrounding the Stenosis problem he has in his spine (some degenarative condition). So, had we picked him, there was a big risk that he may have done a Chris Colmer and never played for us. The Chargers just got lucky really, but there was never any doubting McNeil's talent.

Thats an unfair comparison. Colmer and McNeil's situations are polar opposites. Colmer was constantly dinged up and missed a whole year due specifically to his syndrome. McNeil only missed a few games in his whole career at Auburn and none directly due to his stenosis. It's very unlikely that he'd never play for us. It was definitely a question mark about him but there was never an indication that it would definitely be a problem. It's just that everything in the draft is so overanalyzed, over and over again. Just look at Kelly's situation of the degenerative turf toe. A lot of people are still penciling him in for next year. With McNeil, most thought we HAD to stay away because this would definitely make for a short career. As big a risk it was to take him high, it might have been just as big of one to pass on his talent for a condition that never affected him to the point everyone expect it to in the future.....
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2006 All Rookie Team « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools