Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bad News for Non-Season Ticket holders - A first in 10 yrs...BLACKOUTS! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 18

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
: August 09, 2008, 12:50:43 PM

Looks like for the first time at Ray Jay...the ole Blackout may be coming to the Bay area....Bummer for those used to watching all the games at home.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/article764262.ece

Once Hot Ticket Cooling
By Stephen F. Holder, Times Staff Writer
In print: Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Buccaneers won't say whether price increases have affected ticket sales, but this much is clear: They're not lying off the shelves.

The Bucs made what was described as a "limited number" of single-game tickets available for sale Friday, but a search of seat inventory showed numerous seats available for most regular-season games.

Tickets have been hard to come by, even months in advance, since the opening of Raymond James Stadium in 1998. Every game at the Tampa venue has been sold out. This year, only the Sept. 28 game against Green Bay has proven a challenge to those wishing to secure seats. Only scattered seats remain for that game, according to Ticketmaster.

But prime seats for the remaining games can be had. As of early Friday evening, there were many blocks of at least eight available lower-bowl seats — the per-household purchase limit — for most games.

A fallout from this could be home games on TV. Since 1998, all Bucs home games have been shown locally but that could be in jeopardy. NFL teams must sell out a home game 72 hours prior for it to be shown locally.

The Bucs announced sharp increases in prices this season, some as much as 30 percent. Couple that with the expiration of thousands of seat licenses and the people who chose not to renew, and the potential for sagging sales exists.

During a call to the team's ticket office, a representative said a request for season tickets would require a customer be added to the waiting list, estimated by the team in February 2007 to be 145,000. The representative estimated the list at 70,000 and suggested season tickets could be purchased as soon as 2009.

The Bucs, who don't disclose details on ticket sales, declined to give an official response to a request for comment.

#1 : August 09, 2008, 12:52:58 PM

I'm a season tix holder but have gotten probably 3 emails this week asking if i wanted to purchase more tix. Perhaps they shoulda landed Favre.... that woulda cured their ills.

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#2 : August 09, 2008, 12:54:03 PM

Maybe that was the reason we were stuck smack dab in the middle of the Favre fiasco...

Madman

Hall of Famer
#3 : August 09, 2008, 12:56:23 PM

I'm a season tix holder but have gotten probably 3 emails this week asking if i wanted to purchase more tix. Perhaps they shoulda landed Favre.... that woulda cured their ills.

Yeah, no kidding. Think there'd be tickets left for any game if #4 was a Buc?

#4 : August 09, 2008, 12:57:25 PM

They'll buy them out themselves, there won't be blackouts, that hurts the revenue. 

Ticket sales aren't down because of the price, it's because the media has everyone in town hating the coach and FO and thinking we're gonna stink.  There's no passion there. 

Hardcore fans know better, but casuals don't.  And we need the casuals to fill the seats.

Madman

Hall of Famer
#5 : August 09, 2008, 12:58:48 PM

I'm a season ticket holder and blackouts would still suck.

I like to TiVo the games and re-watch them.

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#6 : August 09, 2008, 01:02:02 PM

I'm a season ticket holder and blackouts would still suck.

I like to TiVo the games and re-watch them.

Yeah, me too! Well, there's always Sunday Ticket Shortcuts, which don't get blacked out, but it's not the same.  :'(

#7 : August 09, 2008, 01:03:42 PM

Ticket sales aren't down because of the price, it's because the media has everyone in town hating the coach and FO and thinking we're gonna stink. There's no passion there.

I think people give the media too much credit.

IMO, some of this can be attributed to the fact that the team lacks "sizzle". Sure, the D will be fine but we're hangin our hats on a 38 yr old qb and a 36 yr old wr who are both gimpy.

As the old adage goes, defense wins.... offense sells tix and who do we have offensively that excites anyone?

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#8 : August 09, 2008, 01:05:53 PM

Ticket sales aren't down because of the price, it's because the media has everyone in town hating the coach and FO and thinking we're gonna stink. There's no passion there.

I think people give the media too much credit.

IMO, some of this can be attributed to the fact that the team lacks "sizzle". Sure, the D will be fine but we're hangin our hats on a 38 yr old qb and a 36 yr old wr who are both gimpy.

As the old adage goes, defense wins.... offense sells tix and who do we have offensively that excites anyone?

Good point, Hate. When Mike Alstott retired he took a lot of fringe fans with him.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#9 : August 09, 2008, 01:10:31 PM

Our offense was dullsville even when we were selling out games like crazy.    The fact is that this team lacks sizzle on offense and defense, and people don't have confidence in it being a winner.   The defense is good, but unless Piscatelli and Talib make a big slash, it's basically a group of boring guys.    No Sapp, No Lynch, No Simeon...    Barber is the big star now.  Derrick Brooks has fallen off a bit.

I do think the key problem is the QB position.   The Bucs have been addressing the offensive line for a while now with high picks.  Those are the dullest picks possible.   Once that line gells though and the wins start coming, the seats will be full.   Winning is really the only thing that matters.

I also agree that losing Alstott hurts.   He may not have been very productive the last few years, but he remained a favorite and cool to watch when he did get the ball.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#10 : August 09, 2008, 01:12:35 PM

I think I will reserve my judgement with the team if it lacks sizzle or not based on what I see this pre season.

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#11 : August 09, 2008, 01:14:06 PM

If the Bucs come out of the gate winning games then the rest of the season will sell... the Glazers should be worried about those first few games more then anything...

of course if we lose our first couple games they're definitely screwed. hopefully we look good enough in preseason to spark some ticket sales. i'll be working every sunday this season so i'll be listening on the radio but i was def planning on using the tivo to watch the games after work... that would suck to not be able to see some games.

Agent Orange

Starter

#12 : August 09, 2008, 01:13:13 PM

I have been telling you guys this since last year before the ticket price increase. Nobody wanted to listen. We're not a very exciting offensive team and our coach and GM are ineffective so down goes ticket sales. Lack of ticket sales and our W/L record this year should spell doom for Gruden/Allen thankfully. Voting with our wallets will make sure of it. I gave up my season tickets 2 years ago because I couldn't even give the tickets away half of the time. I'm happy because now I'll go to about half of the games and pay less than half of what I would have payed if I had season tickets!!! Yeah me

#13 : August 09, 2008, 01:13:26 PM

I think some people don't give the media enough credit.  Humans process information, and just like computers, when it's garbage in, it's garbage out. 

There are plenty of people that do a lot of research and really follow football.  But they don't fill the stadium.  It gets filled by people who know nothing other than what Stroud, Duemig, Ron/Ian, fennelly, et al. report.  And if that's where you get your info from, why in the world would you EVER buy tickets to this bastion of mindless evil and incompetence that is the Buccaneers organization?

#14 : August 09, 2008, 01:15:28 PM

If the Bucs come out of the gate winning games then the rest of the season will sell... the Glazers should be worried about those first few games more then anything...

of course if we lose our first couple games they're definitely screwed. hopefully we look good enough in preseason to spark some ticket sales. i'll be working every sunday this season so i'll be listening on the radio but i was def planning on using the tivo to watch the games after work... that would suck to not be able to see some games.

They'll get bought out.  once we start winning they'll sell.  Even if we start out slow, I think we'll be winning enough towards the last half of the season to sell out.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 18
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bad News for Non-Season Ticket holders - A first in 10 yrs...BLACKOUTS! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools