Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bad News for Non-Season Ticket holders - A first in 10 yrs...BLACKOUTS! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 18

#30 : August 09, 2008, 02:00:42 PM

Blaming the media is really lame, and insulting to many Bucs fans. �You are trying to say fans are not savvy enough to draw their own conclusions about the team.

In my opinion, this is accurate for the most part. � People who visit boards like this are exceptions. � But the average Tampa "fan" only knows what the media tells them. � Remember when the media reported that Chris Simms was a sissy because he grunted when hit by Ray Lewis? � Nobody had questioned Simms' toughness prior to that media comment. � The very next home game, the fans were quite vocal in calling Simms a sissy etc. � Turns out he was the toughest guy on the field and played through a ruptured spleen. � But Tampa fans believe whatever the media tells them. � �It happens pretty much every time. � I think the media has a HUGE effect on fan perception in Tampa.

Most fans watch the games, and that is about it.  I would say he majority never tune into a sports radio show, and don't take much interest in message boards and other media.  Some fans are influenced by the media, including the fans that send a lot of time on message boards.

We are talking about falling ticket sales here, so the fans in question used to go to games.  They have declined the offer of tickets this season for a variety of reason, and I bet the anemic offense and poor economy are top of the list.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#31 : August 09, 2008, 02:06:28 PM

Sizzle and wins is what will determine if the fans come flocking back.

#32 : August 09, 2008, 02:10:07 PM

Sizzle and wins is what will determine if the fans come flocking back.

Bingo......if we get the offensive Gruden promised when he arrived they might start to believe again.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#33 : August 09, 2008, 02:11:24 PM

I do not think it is just an offensive problem.  As pointed out already the defense needs some of the younger players to step up and rise (Ruud, Gaines, Tanard, Talib, etc) up to become play makers.

#34 : August 09, 2008, 02:13:56 PM

I do not think it is just an offensive problem.  As pointed out already the defense needs some of the younger players to step up a rise (Ruud, Gaines, Tanard, Talib, etc) up to become play makers.

True but many fence sitters are sick of the offense.  I know my next door neighbor is still a Dungy follower and he has had enough of Gruden.  He didn't renew this year after 12 years of being a ticket holder.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#35 : August 09, 2008, 02:17:20 PM

I do not think it is just an offensive problem.  As pointed out already the defense needs some of the younger players to step up a rise (Ruud, Gaines, Tanard, Talib, etc) up to become play makers.

True but many fence sitters are sick of the offense.  I know my next door neighbor is still a Dungy follower and he has had enough of Gruden.  He didn't renew this year after 12 years of being a ticket holder.

I can understand that sentiment.

If I was in charge I would bring in Martz...don't puke people...:D

#36 : August 09, 2008, 02:18:36 PM

Sounds like he was a fan of the coach, instead of a fan of the team.

white dragon

Practice Squad

#37 : August 09, 2008, 02:24:04 PM

I do not think it is just an offensive problem. As pointed out already the defense needs some of the younger players to step up a rise (Ruud, Gaines, Tanard, Talib, etc) up to become play makers.

I can understand that sentiment.

Garcia would be dead by the mid point of the season if Martz came. Either his arm would fall off or Martz love for no one in the backfield have Gracia in traction

T

Hall of Famer

#38 : August 09, 2008, 02:42:40 PM

Well at least the away games will be on TV. Bucs have no national stars, the local media just tears down the team constantly, and ticket prices increased way to much for a 9-7 team. Will I be at the games if they are not on TV YES!!!! BUt I can def understand why the ticket sales are not going quickly. Now if in the offseason we signed a Randy Moss, or got a Jason Taylor or a Chad Johnson or ANYONE with a BIG NAME the tickets would be going faster. But fans don't now what to expect with this regime and the up and down nature that has gone on.

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#39 : August 09, 2008, 03:33:07 PM

I live halfway to Ft Myers....so no blackouts for me!

Good luck to the rest of you.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#40 : August 09, 2008, 03:41:35 PM

Then you'd spend all offseason trying to convince us Martz has more talent than Gruden.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#41 : August 09, 2008, 03:45:43 PM

Most fans watch the games, and that is about it.  I would say he majority never tune into a sports radio show, and don't take much interest in message boards and other media.  Some fans are influenced by the media, including the fans that send a lot of time on message boards.

I'm of course not there currently, but at my workplace in Tampa (and every workplace I've worked at before this one), they knew what was in the papers and little else.   They normally didn't even watch the games, but they knew what was in the newspaper or newscast on TV.    Those are the ones I consider to be casual fans.   They buy tickets and get interested when the team is winning and when there is alot of media build up.   They honestly have no idea who more than a handful of players are on the team.   These are the fans who have been on the bandwagon during the good years, but are gone now.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#42 : August 09, 2008, 03:46:58 PM

The problem is the lack of big names...

Big names do not automatically equal big performance....however the big stars put people in the stands. And that is one reason the Jets got Favre....even if he doesnt take the Jets to the playoffs, he will sell tickets and merchandise. It ignites a spark of excitement.

Fan favorites that attracted people to the games are gone (Sapp, Lynch, Keyshawn, Alstott, etc). The fact that the Bucs only had 1 pro-bowler last season should tell you something. The Bucs need to sign a few big names or ticket sales will continue to drag. But lately the front office has been very reluctant to spend any money. $26 million dollars under the cap right now.

#43 : August 09, 2008, 04:40:36 PM

There's a decent correlation between winning and selling tix.  If it was the economy, as some like to say, there would be blackouts nationwide.  But that's not the case.

Other teams are probably struggling with ticket sales.  Maybe they have sold them slower than usual or they also face blackouts, time will tell.  Also, Florida is one the states worst hit by the property market decline, so you would expect a worsening economic environment here.

The economy is not in a good shape, especially discretionary spending.  Maybe you missed the free government hand out to try and boost consumer spending or you possibly have an oil well at the end of the garden making you immune to gas prices rises.

#44 : August 09, 2008, 04:35:52 PM

There's a decent correlation between winning and selling tix.  If it was the economy, as some like to say, there would be blackouts nationwide.  But that's not the case.

And we were a playoff team last year, so we're not a "losing" team, so why are we having trouble selling out?  Because nobody "trusts" it.  Everyone is hearing all kinds of negative crap every day, they don't care to be bothered.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 18
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bad News for Non-Season Ticket holders - A first in 10 yrs...BLACKOUTS! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools