Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Almost Worse news for USC « previous next »
Page: 1 2

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
: August 09, 2008, 02:41:36 PM

USC's Sanchez dislocates kneecap, will start rehab Monday

USC starting quarterback Mark Sanchez was carted off the field at Friday's practice in Los Angeles with a dislocated kneecap.

Sanchez's knee will be immobilized over the weekend and he will start rehab on Monday, USC sports information said in a release. He is listed as day-to-day.

Sanchez's father Nick told ESPN's Shelley Smith on Saturday that Mark joked he was going to practice the day after the injury, but the news was the best they could have expected.

There was no scructual damage, and Ron said Mark's kneecap is very sore. Ron said his son could be out one to four weeks, depending on how he responds to treatment.

"They put it back in [on the field]," USC coach Pete Carroll said Friday of Sanchez's kneecap. "There are no other complications. It's a day-to-day deal. We'll wait and see. He's real encouraged and the doctors are, too.

"On the other side of this, it's an extraordinary opportunity for the other quarterbacks to jump in and fight for the job. "

Sanchez collapsed to the ground in obvious pain before the Trojans began stretching drills.

According to the Los Angeles Times, Sanchez was doing a footwork drill before throwing a pass, putting weight on his left knee and falling to the ground. He was later wheeled off the field before undergoing X-rays.

"I landed awkwardly when throwing," Sanchez said. "[The dislocation] is pretty clean. Nothing torn and no cartilage problems. It's the best case scenario.

Pac-10 blog

ESPN.com's Ted Miller writes about all things Pac-10 in his conference blog.

• Blog network
"I feel good about the other guys being able to fill in. It'll be a seamless transition. They'll do well.

"It was scary, frightening at first. The way they say these things happen, it could be a lot worse. It just hurt a lot when it happened, but it feels better now."

With starter John David Booty injured last season, Sanchez played seven games and started three, completing 60.5 percent of his passes (69 of 114) for 695 yards. He threw seven touchdowns with five interceptions.

Sanchez, a 6-foot-3, 225-pound junior, won the starting job this spring over 2006 Arkansas transfer Mitch Mustain.

Mustain transferred from the Razorbacks after the 2006 season amid controversy surrounding Ole Miss coach Houston Nutt, who resigned from Arkansas after the 2007 season.

The Trojans were ranked second in last week's USA Today preseason coaching poll behind the Georgia Bulldogs.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

He could miss the OSU game.  Luckily no structural damage.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#1 : August 09, 2008, 03:03:34 PM

They will just replace him with 10,000 5 star QB's.

Jake Locker also strained his hamstring. That could be problems for a player who depends on his legs

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#2 : August 12, 2008, 01:23:49 PM

Ben Olson out atleast 8 weeks for UCLA. Now there down to there #3 QB. They will fight with Washington State now for last in the pac

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#3 : August 12, 2008, 05:26:58 PM

OBF, what's Oregon's chances this year? I know jack about Oregon's football team but I hate USC. They got a good shot this year?

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#4 : August 12, 2008, 07:37:16 PM

OBF, what's Oregon's chances this year? I know jack about Oregon's football team but I hate USC. They got a good shot this year?

2nd or 3rd in the pac-10.

argubly one  the best secondaries in the country.
DT... big question marks. have experience but no depth.
LB... undersized, and 1 expected starter suspended 2 games.
DE... 2nd team all american returns, as well as the other DE. Should continue to get pressure from the ends.

Defense has two 2nd team AL returning, and 2 studs at CB.

Defense will be aggressive this year because of there strength at secondary but the question mark is the DT holding up against the run. To be honest I think this may be the best defense Oregon has fielded in years.

Offense...
RB... will be just as good. Ive been to a few spring and summer practice. And name you will know LaGarret Blount... decommited from FSU. Guy is a tank. Him and Jermiah Johnson will be IMO may be the best RB tandum in the pac-10.

OL... solid. 2 day 1 draft picks on the OL. Replacing 2, but the guys replacing them have played so wont be that bad.

WR... Jasion Williams, then inexperience. Right now from what Ive seen at practice. They will go with Jamere Holland (transfer from USC), speedster. And either Drew Davis or Terrence Scott.

QB. Kid name Costa. Chip Kelly said he tied Dixon out of camp last year, but went with Dixon experience. Spread QB, not as fast as Dixon. Compares favorbly to Kellen Clemens. But has no real experience

Strength on offense will be TE, RB, OL and there Offensive coordinator Chip kelly who ESPN calls the best kept secret in CFB.

I expect them to go into the matchup with USC Oct 4th undefeated... then it gets tough. I expect 2 losses. But I can see them losing one or losing 6. But right now Id say flip a coin for 2nd in the pac-10 with Oregon and ASU. Give the nod to ASU because Oregon goes to Tempe to play them.

At the end going to a BCS Bowl or the Las Vegas Bowl IMO... will come down to Costa and Jasion Williams. If Jasion Williams plays like he did 2 years ago, and Costa doesnt make mistakes they can be a BCS team, and if they stay healthy. This year there gonna have to go on the road and beat the better pac-10 teams USC, ASU, Cal and in years past they have had trouble winning at those places.

As honest and no homerish as I can be. Thankfully they get Washington, Utah State and Boise State to start the year, which hopefully helps Costa settle down before they go to Purdue. This year Id like to see this team just get tough on the road. Beat USC or Cal for a change

With USC IMO having a "down year", and Oregon having a solid defense I think they have a better chance then they usually do. But who knows how big of a chance that is. USC will lose at least 1 in the pac-10 IMO, and if they lose 2 ASU or Oregon I think would win the pac-10. 

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#5 : August 21, 2008, 03:36:20 PM

Sanchez is practicing as of yesterday. All is well in Trojanland..

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#6 : August 21, 2008, 08:27:33 PM

Costa, hurt his knee in practice for Oregon sounds like it isnt too bad, but not good. Bellotti said they will know more sunday

LFO

Hall of Famer

#7 : August 21, 2008, 10:35:44 PM

USC will still win a weak pac 10. Book it.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#8 : August 22, 2008, 09:08:14 AM

Pac-10 isnt weak thats why it has a winning record vs every conference besides the ACC since 2000, weak conferences dont do that., but it will have a down year. But I still think Oregon/ASU could get the 2nd BCS game.

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#9 : August 22, 2008, 09:18:08 AM

Pac-10 isnt weak
This year, it will be

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#10 : August 22, 2008, 09:40:14 AM

Pac-10 isnt weak
This year, it will be

thats what a down year means.

I do think teams like Arizona, Washington, Stanford's will be better. I dont think it will be like last year where it was 3 good teams then a bunch of bad teams. This year, 1 good team, 2 potientally good teams, and 1 bad team.

If Oregon makes a run and ASU beats Georgia it will be a strong conference. Many think Oregon is a darkhorse natl championship contender. So it all depends how ASU, Oregon do that will decide the strength of the schedule.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#11 : August 22, 2008, 04:35:15 PM

Pac-10 isnt weak thats why it has a winning record vs every conference besides the ACC since 2000, weak conferences dont do that., but it will have a down year. But I still think Oregon/ASU could get the 2nd BCS game.

Here is a nice, in-depth look at all conferences over the last 10 years.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/stewart_mandel/08/11/conference.debate/index.html

SEC is clearly on top during that period, followed by Big 11, Pac 10, Big 12, ACC and Big East.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#12 : August 26, 2008, 07:09:05 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/stewart_mandel/08/11/conference.debate/index.html

SEC is clearly on top during that period, followed by Big 11, Pac 10, Big 12, ACC and Big East.

Never said the SEC isnt the top. Because it is. But if anyone says the pac-10 is weak doesnt watch football. You cant be weak and having winning records vs every conference but one

LFO

Hall of Famer

#13 : August 26, 2008, 11:12:38 PM

Fair enough

The PAC 10 is much much better than it was in the past, I'll say that.  The data from that proved it for sure.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#14 : August 26, 2008, 11:29:58 PM

Never said the SEC isnt the top. Because it is. But if anyone says the pac-10 is weak doesnt watch football. You cant be weak and having winning records vs every conference but one

Come on OBF they just riling you up bro.  Plus you know we are in the epicenter of the SEC!  Gville is right up the road and are perenial winners in the conference...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Almost Worse news for USC « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools