Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Clayton « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7

blitz

Pro Bowler
: August 10, 2008, 01:47:39 AM

What is it with this guy???   I believe it's time.  Until Clayton is benched........he's going to keep dropping balls.   It's time Gruden start playing the WR's that can catch the ball.   You can't call this guy a bonfide NFL receiver when he's wide open and drops easy passes on a regular basis.  This has become common place year after year. 

Do other teams continue to feature WR's that can't be trusted to hang on to easy catches???

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#1 : August 10, 2008, 01:51:11 AM

With the disclaimer that I only got to listen to the game, I hear he got pretty open on a slant that McCown missed him on for a TD...Actual separation? I'm intrigued with that...even with the bad drop...

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#2 : August 10, 2008, 01:54:25 AM

He also dropped a ball that hit him right in the hands that could have gone for a big gain.  The pass McKown missed wasn't really a slant, more of a post.  But either way he was a 1st round pick, catch the damn balls that do hit you right in the hands.

GatorBuc85

Pro Bowler

#3 : August 10, 2008, 02:16:32 AM

I lost what little hope I had for him with that first drop. It was terrible. I always kept hope for him over the years but.... jeez

-Chase

Our fans suck!

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#4 : August 10, 2008, 02:17:24 AM

Hopefully you Clayton homers getthe big picture...

HE SUCKS!!

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#5 : August 10, 2008, 08:20:32 AM

He looks much quicker than I've ever seen him; got good seperation, had the ball out in front of him around waist-level, then it looked like his knee hit it. Could've been a big gain...

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#6 : August 10, 2008, 08:21:22 AM

Terrible, turn the page. get some juice in there.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#7 : August 10, 2008, 08:22:33 AM

when he dropped the first thing i said was... there's clayton. he's become the kenyatta walker of our wide receivers. used to be if there was a flag thrown, you knew it holding on walker.

now if there's a ball dropped, you know it was clayton.

just pathetic.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#8 : August 10, 2008, 09:20:33 AM

when he dropped the first thing i said was... there's clayton. he's become the kenyatta walker of our wide receivers. used to be if there was a flag thrown, you knew it holding on walker.

now if there's a ball dropped, you know it was clayton.

just pathetic.
The even sadder thing is Galloway drops more ball than him, over the last 2 years Joey has dropped just over 50% of the balls thrown his way. The 2 guys that should be our starters have real trouble actually catching the ball.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#9 : August 10, 2008, 09:45:58 AM

Dropped passes from players that can make big plays (eg TO, Galloway, etc) is tolerable to a degree.  Clayton on the other hand doesn't make a lot of big plays and doesn't have reliable hands.

I anticipate a shakeup in the WR depth chart before the next pre season game.

benchwarmer69

Hall of Famer

#10 : August 10, 2008, 10:45:06 AM

Clayton showed that he could get separation. But that doesn't mean anything if the ^&%$ guy doesn't catch the ball. I hope he gets gone soon, or we can count on him messing up more games for us. Three good games out of the season, does NOT make up for the other 13 games where he does nothing to help. Maybe set up a block or two for other WR's, that's it...

Think about it...  There were 2-3 opportunities where Clayton could have caught the ball for possible TD's. How wicked would it be, if we actually had a WR who could get the separation, but catch the ball too (across from JG). I can say this much for certain... our points-per-game would skyrocket. It's just a PS game, so I wouldn't like to read too much into this. However, Yesterday looked like a repeat of last-years Clayton. I for one say put A. Bryant or Sovall in his spot...even a WR that can't get separation, that can actually catch, is worth more than a guy who can run routes well, but cant catch the $%^# ball to finish the play.

I mean, how can you do well when you have THREE dropped passes every game (expected), when you only get the ball thrown to you 5-7 times in all?

Last night, one hit him right in the hands on a slant patten within a 10-15 yrd range. It could have possibly went for a TD, but of course, Clayton dropped the ball once again. Someone please, dip his hands in some pine tree sap or something..anything... Heck, even a TE we JUST got out of FA (Gilmore) can catch the ball better.... And we were supposed to be picking him up as a blocker.... So a rookie to our system, that happens to be a TE can do better than a WR whos been here for years? Get with the program Gru... glad you see everyones "possibilities", but this guy can't do it again....I don't think he deserves where he's at, or that he even cares.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#11 : August 10, 2008, 01:03:57 PM

Hopefully you Clayton homers getthe big picture...

HE SUCKS!!

But...he's fully healthy! And he trimmed down! Those were his only problems.

Well, that and he sucks.

The even sadder thing is Galloway drops more ball than him, over the last 2 years Joey has dropped just over 50% of the balls thrown his way. The 2 guys that should be our starters have real trouble actually catching the ball.

What?! You do know that the caught/targeted percentage doesn't mean that the ones that weren't caught are considered "drops". Usually guys who lead the league in drops have somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-15 drops to about 100-125 targets. No receiver in the NFL has over 50% of the balls thrown his way dropped....well, maybe Reche Caldwell or Troy Williamson. :P

And there's no way Clayton "should" be our starter.

bryan12112

Starter

#12 : August 10, 2008, 01:11:08 PM

I'm still on the Clayton bandwagon. He actually got some separation and looked good out there. One drop in the first preseason game I can overlook. I will wait until all four preseason games are played before I say anything.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#13 : August 10, 2008, 01:13:25 PM

What?! You do know that the caught/targeted percentage doesn't mean that the ones that weren't caught are considered "drops". Usually guys who lead the league in drops have somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-15 drops to about 100-125 targets. No receiver in the NFL has over 50% of the balls thrown his way dropped....well, maybe Reche Caldwell or Troy Williamson. :P

And there's no way Clayton "should" be our starter.
Ok so drops was the wrong word, Joey caught under 50% of balls thrown his way. Is that better?

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#14 : August 10, 2008, 01:15:10 PM

You think Galloway and Clayton are even comparable in any way?   Clayton couldn't carry Galloway's jock.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Clayton « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools