Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: So Metallica - Death Magnetic...... « previous next »
Page: 1 2

#15 : August 09, 2008, 10:03:34 AM

Of course not, those albums were amazing.

Oh by the way, Metallica isn't done in the instrumental business. I don't know if it holds any truth but I heard there's goin to be an intstrumental on the new album.

Well, that along with some of the teaser stuff they've got now, maybe a good start in the right direction for them.
No song they will ever do will compare to Fad to Black off Ride the lightning.

I never said that they would, I said though that it would be a step in the right direction.  Right in that it is the anti-thesis to the crap album known as St. Anger, and hopefully better that of Load and Reload, though that shouldn't take much to do, IMO.  If for some reason they can't and this new album flops, then they need to hang it up, IMO as far as new music goes.

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#16 : August 09, 2008, 10:30:32 AM

I thought Musically Load & Reload were good, they had some quality songs that stuck out. St Anger on the other hand, maybe 2 songs on that album stuck out. I really liked the song St Anger, very aggressive. I'm hoping for another classic, but am ready for dissapointment.

I agree.

For a DIFFERENT genre of music (I'm thinking Hard-Rock) and NOT METAL (what metallica is known for) Load and Reload were some pretty good albums. I think if it were any band NOT named Metallica that made those albums, they would be MUCH more highly regarded. The depth (and by depth i mean quality song after quality song) of those albums is pretty damn good.

Some of the more slower songs - songs such as "Low Man's Lyric", "House that Jack Built" and "Bleeding Me" to be particular - on those albums were lyrically amazing.

As far as St Anger goes... it was average. I think alot of songs on that album stood out as "solid" but only about 2 really kicked booty. I thought "The Unnamed Feeling" and "St Anger" were the albums best

HTB, I agree.  There is some good music on Load, Bleeding me is a very good song.  But for the most part, Load and ESPECIALLY RELOAD are so cheesy and a disgrace to the living legends of heavy metal.

It may not have been bad music like you said, but why should we have to settle for music thats NOT METAL from METALLICA.  Makes no sense

I believe and always will believe that Metallica died with Cliff Burton.  His spirit carried on to AJFA, but even that the bass was just... weird.  luckily the lyrics, guitars and drums were badass enough that it was still a great album

I keep hearing people mention St Anger... take kill em all, and listen to Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth)  Then put on St Anger.  WTF happened to the first band?

PW makes note of a standard for Metallica, and I think thats right on.  These guys made their names on 4 of the greatest metal albums of all time ( I would argue the top 5 greatest metal albums of all time consist of the first 4 metallica albums and Far Beyond Driven by Pantera)  What gives the last 15 yrs?

"there are no medals here for who can stay at the office the longest," said Jagodzinski. "I'm not into that. The guys that brag about working till 2 in the morning, in my opinion, they're just not smart enough. "

18,2,25,13 ... murderers row?

I support coach Calhoun and his salary

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#17 : August 09, 2008, 10:49:16 AM

I will get it, and I will get it RIGHT AWAY!

Unlike 99% of the cd buying public, I freaking loved St. ANger, and found it WAY ahead of it's time.  Some of the stuff on that CD blew me away, and I truley believe that some day, that album will become a classic when everyone finally realizes that it was brilliant!

I was a Metallica fan from Kill 'em All through the black album, but to me, that is the album that sent them down the recycle path.  Load and Reload rarely make it into my cd player, they are copies of one another if you ask me.

St. Anger is an album I still play and absloutely love!

Yes, I will get the new one, the day it comes out and let myself judge it, not anyone else...

I have to admit that I am disappointed that they have done yet another UNFORGIVEN, titled Unforgiven III (shocker)

#18 : August 09, 2008, 06:57:05 PM

Yeah, I heard about that with another UnforgivenIII, if they keep it up, they'll end up having to re-unforgiven...  As far as St. Anger, maybe it happens as you say Turbo, but I guess I'm not holding my breath, as I think that all that album was a group of guys that really seemed to be trying to hard.  If they get back to the basics again, I think they'll be successful.  But as ICIT stated, where have they been for the past 15 yrs?  Some of this newer stuff from other groups that are out now, are decent.  But looking back to what those 1st four Metallica albums brought, it is a hard suit to follow.

replica

Hall of Famer
#19 : August 10, 2008, 02:13:09 AM

1 big problem with St Anger was Bob Rock played bass. Although he had a good sound and was capable, he does not compare with Newstead, Cliff, & now Trujillo. I believe Robert Trujillo will bring a swagger back to this band in the studio, Fresh blood you know? This guy was bada$$ with Suicidal Tendencies & Ozzy. I really hope there are some tunes on this album that makes me crank it up & say '**** yeah!' while I drive to & from work.

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#20 : August 10, 2008, 09:52:59 AM

1 big problem with St Anger was Bob Rock played bass. Although he had a good sound and was capable, he does not compare with Newstead, Cliff, & now Trujillo. I believe Robert Trujillo will bring a swagger back to this band in the studio, Fresh blood you know? This guy was bada$$ with Suicidal Tendencies & Ozzy. I really hope there are some tunes on this album that makes me crank it up & say '**** yeah!' while I drive to & from work.

To be honest, I thought Newsted was pretty limited musically.  He was cool because much like all of us, he was just a fan at one point.  And he had great energy live.  But I never saw him as a guy who was really musically gifted.  JMO

"there are no medals here for who can stay at the office the longest," said Jagodzinski. "I'm not into that. The guys that brag about working till 2 in the morning, in my opinion, they're just not smart enough. "

18,2,25,13 ... murderers row?

I support coach Calhoun and his salary

replica

Hall of Famer
#21 : August 10, 2008, 10:22:45 AM

To be honest, I thought Newsted was pretty limited musically. He was cool because much like all of us, he was just a fan at one point. And he had great energy live. But I never saw him as a guy who was really musically gifted. JMO
Newstead actually wrote most of 'Blackened' on AJFA. He came from a band called Flotsam & Jetsam which was actually really good, Doomsday for the Deceiver was the name of the album. We also have to remember, he is just a bass player...hehehehehe
What do you call a guy who hangs out with a bunch of musicians? Bassist

replica

Hall of Famer
#22 : August 11, 2008, 09:39:52 AM

Just saw Metallica's NA Tour dates through January, no Florida :(
per www.blabbermouth.net

Magnaccia

Pro Bowler

#23 : August 11, 2008, 10:42:10 AM

Over hyped band. The quality of music goes down a few notches every time they release a new album, that's gotta tell you something lol.

http://www.graphicdesignmoney.comMake $$$$ online, ask me how :]
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: So Metallica - Death Magnetic...... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools