Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Can we just be fair? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Bucs Bowl

Starter

: August 12, 2008, 12:04:32 AM

The Colts are 2 for their last 16 in preseason. The preseason means nothing on any level.

The final score means nothing, but 1st team execution means everything.

We rest our old starters then expect them to come out week one clicking on all cylinders. No wonder we've lost so many season openers.

I agree to a certain extent with this that the starters should play Game 3 a full half to execute and get the rust out. Otherwise let the guys trying to make a team have at it so injuries won't be an issue.

I think Gruden's conservative week 1 play calling is the real reason combined with rust of not having starters getting anytime in preseason.

#1 : August 11, 2008, 11:14:28 PM

The Colts are 2 for their last 16 in preseason. The preseason means nothing on any level.

The final score means nothing, but 1st team execution means everything.

We rest our old starters then expect them to come out week one clicking on all cylinders. No wonder we've lost so many season openers.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#2 : August 11, 2008, 10:09:41 AM

After the very first preseason game it’s obvious that we all have different expectations.  But with all of our different wants and desires for the team, can we be fair about our observations and the conditions that form them?  No doubt I'm a heavy red flavored Kool-Aide drinker.  But I try to be objective. 

We all know Clayton has baggage.  We all know he hasn't lived up to his billing. But objectivity would lead you to the fact that the kid has some redeeming qualities. Plus you can't refute his physical preparation, if you watched the game.  You saw the separation and you saw the catches in and out of traffic.  Sure he dropped a wide open one, but it was one.

The oline wasn't as dominant as I would have wanted, but that was tempered by the fact that we put a bunch of maulers in a bad position from snap number one.  We dropped back and threw a pass.  Thought we should have gotten those guys lathered up first and then come at them with our play action.  An excuse, maybe.  But that's what I would have done.  The rest of the game was decent with a bunch of highlights for this unit.  our two backup centers both played well and that may have emerged as a new camp battle for the number 2 center.  Talk about reason to be excited!  We go from swinging gate up the middle to solid for years to come in one off season.  That's hot.

I think almost every receiver that played last night had a catch.  Check me on that, but it looked like they all were getting open and whatever QB was in the game, to include Josh, found them.

No matter how you feel about Simms you get the feeling after that game that something good will come out of his situation from a team perspective.  You can spin that anyway you want.

The only position I can be overly critical about would be the pass rush and the arm tackling.  I could see them fighting hard and playing hard.  The effort was there.  Other than Wilks, none got too much pressure that converted to good things.  I did like the hands up when they got stuck at the LOS. Give a little credit to the rookie LT for the Phins, he looked really good.  Not good for Gaines though.  The arm tackling will get corrected.  I'm not too worried about it, just a little disappointing.  However Flip was back to form and I was surprised by Cato's hitting.  He came here with a rep for not wanting to get into the fray.  Me thinks this team has rubbed off on him which is a good thing.

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#3 : August 11, 2008, 10:21:41 AM

Even though the Dolphins were 1-15 last year, they're better than some are giving them credit for.

Parcells turns bad teams around pretty quick. We'll be just fine.

Our second stringers played virtually that entire game and we still dominated the Fins.

Some fans should just be a little more patient.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#4 : August 11, 2008, 10:24:30 AM

That's my other take.  Heard some posters indirectly dissing the Phins saying we should have done better.  On any given Sunday people.  You can't discount anyone!  Especially a wounded team knowing all they got is their hard work and execution.  They will be on point and will work every game.  We have to bring it against everyone...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#5 : August 11, 2008, 10:25:30 AM

The oline wasn't as dominant as I would have wanted, but that was tempered by the fact that we put a bunch of maulers in a bad position from snap number one. We dropped back and threw a pass. Thought we should have gotten those guys lathered up first and then come at them with our play action. An excuse, maybe. But that's what I would have done. The rest of the game was decent with a bunch of highlights for this unit. our two backup centers both played well and that may have emerged as a new camp battle for the number 2 center. Talk about reason to be excited! We go from swinging gate up the middle to solid for years to come in one off season. That's hot.
Most people on here admitted Faine was on the small size and would have trouble with big, strong defensive tackles so it's not a surprise someone like Jason Ferguson gave him trouble. Gruden's Bucs have never been able to handle the 3-4 defense.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#6 : August 11, 2008, 10:31:27 AM

Chev, I'm not down on the guys. My read in other threads was that the game was a little boring but that I'm pleased with the win. In terms of Clayton & Luke, I'm frustrated, not down on them. I WANT them to succeed because I WANT this team to turn the old players over and get on with the next generation.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#7 : August 11, 2008, 10:42:42 AM

I know Rus.  Just frustrated with all the negative vibe.  It was an organized pick up game. I get we were all jonsing, wanted all to do well, but the way critical assesments of some with no positive outlook at all is just down right false and IMO haterism at its best.  I also get that some just like to complain as well.  Those people, for the life of me, I just don't get other than they think its fun to come here and just argue...

If all any poster saw was just negative then I got a real problem with that poster and would seriously urge them to go bandwagon elsewhere.  Cuz that's just not true...IMO

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#8 : August 11, 2008, 10:52:03 AM

The Colts are 2 for their last 16 in preseason.   The preseason means nothing on any level. 

Magnaccia

Pro Bowler

#9 : August 11, 2008, 10:52:08 AM

From reading a few of the observations of the game here, I would think we were the 1-15 team last season and the Dolphins blew us out.

Some people just love to be angry and hateful I suppose.

http://www.graphicdesignmoney.comMake $$$$ online, ask me how :]

doobiedoright

Hall of Famer

#10 : August 11, 2008, 10:54:50 AM

Better talk to karen then.........you know all she saw was neagtive!

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#11 : August 11, 2008, 11:06:44 AM

I get we were all jonsing, wanted all to do well,

Nothing more to say, IMO.

I saw more positives than negatives but the negatives stand out more.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#12 : August 11, 2008, 11:20:28 AM

The oline wasn't as dominant as I would have wanted, but that was tempered by the fact that we put a bunch of maulers in a bad position from snap number one. We dropped back and threw a pass. Thought we should have gotten those guys lathered up first and then come at them with our play action. An excuse, maybe. But that's what I would have done. The rest of the game was decent with a bunch of highlights for this unit. our two backup centers both played well and that may have emerged as a new camp battle for the number 2 center. Talk about reason to be excited! We go from swinging gate up the middle to solid for years to come in one off season. That's hot.
Most people on here admitted Faine was on the small size and would have trouble with big, strong defensive tackles so it's not a surprise someone like Jason Ferguson gave him trouble. Gruden's Bucs have never been able to handle the 3-4 defense.

Lets pray SE of the Saints has rookie jitters.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#13 : August 11, 2008, 11:45:41 AM

For the record,

My track record shows that I am not normally a pessimist and certainly not a hater of this team.
If my post came across that way (and I can see how it could), its not totally what I meant.

I was dissatisfied because I expected more from the 2 lines and felt that from TC articles and those who attended TC that we would come out of the shoot with guns blazing. I'm not talking about play calling, but execution. (Maybe there has been too much Kool Aide been passed around this early, I don't know).

I just didn't see it. Yes there were many good things that some of you pointed out. But for me to defend lack of execution, I won't do it. That doesn't make me a a hater. Maybe if my response had been under the name of Dal, it might have been taken differently.

After all we have done in this off year to improve, I just expected more, and will continue to expect more this year.

One could argue differently, and some have. Others have stated similar comments to mine. Its not like I was the only one pointing out the problems as they and I saw it. That doesn't make them or me wrong etc etc.

Also for the record, I made similar comments in 2003, and was shot down then too.

At my age patience is not an option-I just might not be given enough time to be.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

techstar25

Starter

#14 : August 11, 2008, 12:21:15 PM

Clayton actually looked pretty good. Right before his drop, my friend asked me "What's up with Clayton". Then he dropped that pass, and I said, "That's why he isn't starting."
Then, a play or two later, he had a HUGE block that sprung somebody for a big gain, and I said, "But that's why he's still on the team."

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my blog "Reheemisms", a compilation of his best quotes.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Can we just be fair? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools