Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Can we just be fair? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

DeadmenTNT

Starter
#15 : August 11, 2008, 12:29:32 PM

One thing to keep in mind is that the Dolphins are truly in audition mode. I'm sure the players are extra motivated to show what they got to the new staff. It wouldn't surprise me if they have been going at it pretty hard in TC. We have seen that before here when we had a new regime, ala the Wyche era. Those teams started well, but peaked early and faded badly down the stretch. That all sounds like an excuse, I know, but it was probably a factor in the way the two teams came out.

Even saying that though, I was still disappointed to a degree. There was another thread about what we looking for going into the game. If nothing else, I wanted the offense to replicate what I was seeing from the other "good" teams around the league in their pre-season openers. Those teams were often scoring touchdowns on their opening drives and then sitting the starters. I think the last time we did that was in '05 against TENN when EG led the team down the field for an opening score.

I'm like many of the others on here. I wanted to see a team that was taking the next step, but instead saw much of the same stuff as last year, both good and bad.  

But I will try to be both patient and fair, just for you Chev.  ;D

Doctor StrangeJosh or How I Stopped Caring About Completion Pct and Learned to Love the Bomb - J C DeLatorre

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#16 : August 11, 2008, 12:48:38 PM

Unc I totally respect you and your take.  But I still dissagree with the expectations and the way most seem to think that you'd see them come to fruition in the first preseason game.  I'm sure we all have high expectations no matter where you got them from be it your own obervations or from reports from others.  I just think to feel like all of that was going to come together and we'd be in mid-season form in the first practice game of the season is way to harsh.  That's all I'm saying.  I'm not saying not to bash Clayton, I'm saying be fair in your bashing.  The guy missed one ball and caught 4.  I'm not saying don't bash the oline, Davin did land on his butt the first play of the game...but in totallity that unit played well and showed the signs of getting better of being where we want them to be when the games count.  I'm not saying not to nit pick, just temper that knowing its a marathon and not a sprint.  To expect every question to be answered one way or another after the first game to me is rather hard and inflexible...

If they came out and were the world beaters most expected then what? Shut dow camp and sit on their butts and wait for the season to start?  Just like there were mistakes and issues I think a win, on the road, with no mistakes, turnovers, or injuries was HUGE for  preseason game and maybe all we could/should have expected...but we got more than that in some cases as well...

To me the biggest positive was everyone that played has some very good tape to watch and be critical of themselves. Much easier to be critcal of yourself in a win than in a loss.  Especially an error free win in your first preseason game. Somebody look back in the annals and see if we've ever had a error free game, much less in the very first preseason game which are usually litered with flags...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

tajik_buc

Starter

#17 : August 11, 2008, 01:09:14 PM

Am just hoping for a few things over the next two weeks: 1) A lack of injuries.  They happen, nothing you can do about them, just hoping we can avoid them; and 2) The lines start dominating on both sides.  Pound that rock and stuffing the run and getting after the QB on the other side.  Looking forward to the start of the real season.

The Q

Pro Bowler

#18 : August 11, 2008, 01:23:34 PM

It was a GREAT FIRST GAME. No Penalties, No TOs, No Injuries.
And all who could play, did play. All FOUR QBs executed the plays and to top it off the BUCS won.
Puh-lease....DO NOT Breakdown a preseason game. Many starters were in Tampa....the game was in Miami!

The BUCS are gonna surprise people this year!

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#19 : August 11, 2008, 01:24:07 PM

Chev,

Lets see what happens next week.

If you are correct in your analysis, and I sure hope you are, then we will see a much better game and better execution.

However, should that not be the case, my patience just might not handle it and I might have to pull another Dal.

FWIW, I agree with your comments about Clayton. His separation was the best we've seen in years. He also made a huge block later in the game which helped gain more yards.

There were some other good things in the game. You mentioned June-couldn't believe he did that. The error free game was outstanding-don't ever remember us ever doing that. Also thought Buenning played well for his first game at center.

But we can't win games in the NFL with just "3 yards and a cloud of dust"- just sayin.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#20 : August 11, 2008, 01:35:31 PM

If you read the PR TC articles and you are getting excited and basing your expectations off of that I would recommend to take them with a grain of salt. Seemingly every time the last few years that they built somebody or something up in TC it's just hype and it doesn't translate onto the field.

I think we're going to see more of the same for a very long time with this regime. I like the playoff years but it's just way too inconsistent around here.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#21 : August 11, 2008, 01:40:10 PM

'pull a Dal'  LMAO - I wish dal would drop in and do a couple Dals...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#22 : August 11, 2008, 01:46:37 PM

Chev,

Lets see what happens next week.

If you are correct in your analysis, and I sure hope you are, then we will see a much better game and better execution.

However, should that not be the case, my patience just might not handle it and I might have to pull another Dal.

FWIW, I agree with your comments about Clayton. His separation was the best we've seen in years. He also made a huge block later in the game which helped gain more yards.

There were some other good things in the game. You mentioned June-couldn't believe he did that. The error free game was outstanding-don't ever remember us ever doing that. Also thought Buenning played well for his first game at center.

But we can't win games in the NFL with just "3 yards and a cloud of dust"- just sayin.

ROFLMBAO, yes Hate is getting to you.  We had that talk yesterday.  LOL  I don't know I think scoring is important but it's relative game to game.  High scoring teams usually make the playoffs but don't always win.  Some have some haven't.  Not sure what the breakdown is but would be an interesting project for some of our aspiring stat guys on the board. 

I think we have to avg low twenties to make the playoffs mid twenties to secure home field.  That's my best guess.  I also think our defense/special teams have to pitch in this year as in SB year.  I'm not calling for 9 TD's from the defense, but I'd take it.

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#23 : August 11, 2008, 02:02:22 PM

ROFLMBAO, yes Hate is getting to you. We had that talk yesterday. LOL I don't know I think scoring is important but it's relative game to game. High scoring teams usually make the playoffs but don't always win. Some have some haven't. Not sure what the breakdown is but would be an interesting project for some of our aspiring stat guys on the board.

I think we have to avg low twenties to make the playoffs mid twenties to secure home field. That's my best guess. I also think our defense/special teams have to pitch in this year as in SB year. I'm not calling for 9 TD's from the defense, but I'd take it.
Agree. You can win with 3 yards and a cloud of dust, but the Bucs don't have Warren Sapp, Brad Culpepper, and Hardy Nickerson anymore to make sure the opponent is only getting 2.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#24 : August 11, 2008, 02:06:04 PM

ROFLMBAO, yes Hate is getting to you. We had that talk yesterday. LOL I don't know I think scoring is important but it's relative game to game. High scoring teams usually make the playoffs but don't always win. Some have some haven't. Not sure what the breakdown is but would be an interesting project for some of our aspiring stat guys on the board.

I think we have to avg low twenties to make the playoffs mid twenties to secure home field. That's my best guess. I also think our defense/special teams have to pitch in this year as in SB year. I'm not calling for 9 TD's from the defense, but I'd take it.
Agree. You can win with 3 yards and a cloud of dust, but the Bucs don't have Warren Sapp, Brad Culpepper, and Hardy Nickerson anymore to make sure the opponent is only getting 2.

I know!!!

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#25 : August 11, 2008, 02:26:23 PM

I was ok with Saturday and was a bit pleased, even though we didn't play Garcia, Graham, Dunn, Galloway. 

The oline had a bad play but rebounded, Clayton had a bad play but played rather well ... there were a couple of things that COULD be a concern and Yes, we have room for improvement, but it was the first preseason game ... I'm not ready to hit the panic button on my keyboard yet.

#26 : August 11, 2008, 02:38:26 PM

It's not panic time.  It IS only the first game.  But there can, and should, be expectations for every game, including the first.  We didn't live up to them IMO.  I hope we do next week, or we'll go through this again, with some of us saying it wasn't a good showing and others saying "back off, it's only the second preseason game".  You know, saying you were disappointed isn't the same thing as saying "we suck, here comes 4-12 again".  Some people are getting overly defensive about what was pretty mild criticism.

There were some nice points. Talib, Wilkerson, Clifton, Clayton getting separation, stovall looked pretty good to me, even though he did cut that route short.  Short yardage blocking was good.  Pass pro was good.  Ryan Sims looked good.  Perhaps the best that I noticed was the number of white jersey's on ever defensive play.  It's cliche maybe, but they  were ready for some gang tackling. 

There were bad points too.  Mike's drop.  Luke's overthrow.  Griese's 3 passes that should have been picks.  Lack of big holes with the first line.  Davin got owned out of the gate, can't blame wade this time.  2 dead series to start her off.  Little push from the DL.  Bad tackling.  Adams getting a goose egg against Long.  Bryant's misses.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#27 : August 11, 2008, 02:56:12 PM

Might I suggest that Chev "spiked" his kool-aide and some of us didn't.

Its all good. If we didn't care, we wouldn't be here.

And this happened on the Red Board with no acrimony-its a miracle!

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#28 : August 11, 2008, 02:59:55 PM

Stan - I think I am almost anti stat in my look at football in general.  But if one were just to take a peak at what happened - well it was a pretty convincing performance without the #1 qb, the #1 nd #2 RBs, the #1 wr, and cameos by some others.... hard to measure that.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#29 : August 11, 2008, 03:04:29 PM

dbuc,

Are you saying our depth is not as good as we thought?

Or am I playing Don Quixote?

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Can we just be fair? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools