Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Can we just be fair? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

benir0

Hall of Famer
#30 : August 11, 2008, 03:21:12 PM

We played a penalty-free, turnover-free and injury-free game without our #1's at LT, RB, QB, WR and FB...and we won by 11, allowing less than 200 yards of offense from the opposing team.

Period.

Yes, there is a lot to work on, but overall this was a positive step.  Enjoy it.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#31 : August 11, 2008, 03:40:03 PM

dbuc,

Are you saying our depth is not as good as we thought?

Or am I playing Don Quixote?

No Don, er Stan.  Let's not lose site of the fact that in spite of the lack of offensive appeal the buccs won, and quite handily as well. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#32 : August 11, 2008, 04:19:37 PM

It's not panic time. It IS only the first game. But there can, and should, be expectations for every game, including the first. We didn't live up to them IMO. I hope we do next week, or we'll go through this again, with some of us saying it wasn't a good showing and others saying "back off, it's only the second preseason game". You know, saying you were disappointed isn't the same thing as saying "we suck, here comes 4-12 again". Some people are getting overly defensive about what was pretty mild criticism.

There were some nice points. Talib, Wilkerson, Clifton, Clayton getting separation, stovall looked pretty good to me, even though he did cut that route short. Short yardage blocking was good. Pass pro was good. Ryan Sims looked good. Perhaps the best that I noticed was the number of white jersey's on ever defensive play. It's cliche maybe, but they were ready for some gang tackling.

There were bad points too. Mike's drop. Luke's overthrow. Griese's 3 passes that should have been picks. Lack of big holes with the first line. Davin got owned out of the gate, can't blame wade this time. 2 dead series to start her off. Little push from the DL. Bad tackling. Adams getting a goose egg against Long. Bryant's misses.

Even with all of the bad things you mentioned, which are all correctable I might add, we still won, we still came out injury free, and we had no turnovers, and no penalties.  If we played every game with those same felonious acts and those same results would you take it or come back every week and complain? And I totall disagree with the lack of big holes.  Not blaming the backs for not cutting back, but if you look at the film, there was clearly huge yardage to be made there.  Trash them for the first series all you want. but then the reality of the situtation says they bounced back and did what I knew they'd do.  Even the second unit, who struggled mightily in pass pro at times, was fighting and scrapping and putting a hat on a hat.

Point is boys that's why we play preseason. That's why you have camps and two a day practices.  That's why you put these things on film.  Moreso for evaluation purposes in the preseason but for the players to get better as well. No one is saying it was a perfect game.  But how can't you see that the pro's outweight the con's in this instance?  It's ok not to see what YOU were looking for, but don't make out like we were sooooo bad that we won't/can't/will never see them.  The building blocks are there guys.  Get the glitz and glamour outcha eyes right now.  We will not be flinging the ball up and down the field like Al Davis is running the show here. 

This will be Dungy ball!!!  (I know its gonna get crazy after that comment!)

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#33 : August 11, 2008, 04:28:40 PM

Maybe if my response had been under the name of Dal, it might have been taken differently.

'pull a Dal' LMAO - I wish dal would drop in and do a couple Dals...
So does Dal still post on the insider board or did he completely drop out?

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#34 : August 11, 2008, 04:30:50 PM

He seems to have dropped off completely

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

blitz

Pro Bowler
#35 : August 11, 2008, 05:01:28 PM

Fairness is appropriate.   Every player and team needs a chance to knock the rust off in the preseason.

I was at practice again today and let's just say it's obvious Clayton has put himself back on the hotseat with Gruden.   A drop like that for an NFL receiver is like a QB under throwing a wide open man.   You don't erase that from the team or coaches memory banks easily.   

Let me also just say, if you're passing attack consists of one good blocking WR who you can't count on when the chips are down, one aging and hobbled WR and another aging but sure handed possession WR......you've got problems.    It was sick how the Giants moved their safeties and corners up following that first touchdown drive in the playoff game because they knew the passing game didn't have the firepower.   Every team in the league will play the Bucs that way this year until proven otherwise. 

Let's hope this gets fixed. 

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#36 : August 11, 2008, 09:41:32 PM

the fact that our starting QB, starting #1 WR, starting fullback, and starting left tackle didn't play along with Hilliard, Graham, and Dunn sitting out shows me that we had our #2s in there and were competitive with the Dolphins #1s....

I'm impressed.  Now if we had Garcia, Galloway, Askew, Graham, Dunn in there and we were still struggling with a goose egg...then I'd be worried...but again it's 1 pre-season game and we were missing more then half of our offense.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#37 : August 12, 2008, 10:58:29 AM

That's funny you mention that. I emailed him a few days ago to discuss the Favre situation. I also tried to get him to come back but he wasn't biting. Just not his thing anymore.

He was great for the board.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#38 : August 12, 2008, 11:03:23 AM

That's funny you mention that. I emailed him a few days ago to discuss the Favre situation. I also tried to get him to come back but he wasn't biting. Just not his thing anymore.

He was great for the board.

I need to check the "krew" site - I sent him a PM from there - don't know if he responded.  And yea, he was good for this board...

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#39 : August 12, 2008, 12:26:23 PM

Fair is good.

Disappointed in...

Davin; how does this guy slide past the ire of fans on this board.  Had Tru or Faine been run over for that first sack the Boo hounds would  have posted a good 100 messages about it.

Gaines; Near as I could tell flat pwnd by Long and co.

Kicker; that's right when you kick like that you don't even get your name listed, you're just the stink'n kicker.

Good show:

Talib with the highlight tackle.
JJ with one great pass.
Big 98, got really good push when he had just one blocker.
Ronde sweet tackle for loss.

Can't wait to see 'em play in person.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#40 : August 12, 2008, 12:53:38 PM

If you read the PR TC articles and you are getting excited and basing your expectations off of that I would recommend to take them with a grain of salt. Seemingly every time the last few years that they built somebody or something up in TC it's just hype and it doesn't translate onto the field.

I think we're going to see more of the same for a very long time with this regime. I like the playoff years but it's just way too inconsistent around here.

I would agree, but that's somewhat the job of PR...to get the fans excited about the upcoming season by touting who looks promising in camp...

Folks do need to realize we're just talking TC here...stepping out onto the field vs. opposing teams is a whole different ballgame...

Gruden seemed pretty pleased with the overall effort for a first preseason game so I don't think anybody should be too down...he'll usually let everybody know if he's not happy with certain things...
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Can we just be fair? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools