Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2008 Summer Olympics Thread « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 35

: August 12, 2008, 12:25:38 AM

There is baseball and softball in this years Olympics. This might be the last last Olympic session for both events, but 2 more events we can kick some international azz.

You reckon

Baseball

1992:
Gold ~Cuba
Silver ~ Chinese Taipei
Bronze ~ Japan

1996:
Gold ~Cuba
Silver ~ Japan
Bronze ~ USA

2000:
Gold ~ USA
Silver ~ Cuba
Bronze ~ South Korea

2004:
Gold ~Cuba
Silver ~ Australia
Bronze ~ Japan

I think Cuba might be favorites.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#1 : August 12, 2008, 12:25:52 AM

Curious, are the Olympics over? Wake me up when they are.......

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#2 : August 12, 2008, 12:26:54 AM

There is no baseball in this years Olympics. ;) Actually basketball may get removed soon because only twelve teams entered.

Cause they know if NBA players can live up to their hype ( like they are this year) then they have no reason to get owned and embarassed by.......

U

S

A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Isn't past your bedtime?

....Your cool.

not as cool as you and your made up girlfriend though ... ;)

or your USF degree.

Finish high school, get a real live girlfriend, and then start thinking of trying to make of grown folk with college degrees and real jobs.  

#3 : August 12, 2008, 12:27:10 AM

LOL

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#4 : August 12, 2008, 12:28:37 AM

There is baseball and softball in this years Olympics. This might be the last last Olympic session for both events, but 2 more events we can kick some international azz.

You reckon

Baseball

1992:
Gold ~Cuba
Silver ~ Chinese Taipei
Bronze ~ Japan

1996:
Gold ~Cuba
Silver ~ Japan
Bronze ~ USA

2000:
Gold ~ USA
Silver ~ Cuba
Bronze ~ South Korea

2004:
Gold ~Cuba
Silver ~ Australia
Bronze ~ Japan

I think Cuba might be favorites.

They always are and they're also professionals.  Blows that whole amateur thing out of the water.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#5 : August 12, 2008, 12:28:58 AM

There is no baseball in this years Olympics.  ;) Actually basketball may get removed soon because only twelve teams entered.

I doubt it. China vs. USA game had a shocking 1 billion viewers. The Olympic committee would be stupid to throw away that event when it is drawing that many eyes.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#6 : August 12, 2008, 12:29:14 AM

I don't know are there any people at Starbucks?

jameswilder

Starter

#7 : August 12, 2008, 12:29:52 AM

Well, you know, during the opening ceremony on Friday night, some countries only had 5,6 or 8 athletes entered into the Olympics. They didn't come to China thinking that they could win, they just wanted to enjoy the majesty of the opening ceremony and compete as best they could in whatever event they qualified for. They knew they couldn't win, didn't want to win, but just wanted to experience the aura of the events.

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy- B. Franklin.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#8 : August 12, 2008, 12:30:10 AM

There is no baseball in this years Olympics.  ;) Actually basketball may get removed soon because only twelve teams entered.

I doubt it. China vs. USA game had a shocking 1 billion viewers. The Olympic committee would be stupid to throw away that event when it is drawing that many eyes.

Yeah, I don't think basketball is going anywhere anytime soon.  

Bucco40

Pro Bowler

#9 : August 12, 2008, 12:30:26 AM

There is no baseball in this years Olympics. ;) Actually basketball may get removed soon because only twelve teams entered.

Cause they know if NBA players can live up to their hype ( like they are this year) then they have no reason to get owned and embarassed by.......

U

S

A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Isn't past your bedtime?

....Your cool.

or your USF degree.

Finish high school, get a real live girlfriend, and then start thinking of trying to make of grown folk with college degrees and real jobs. 

Done, done , and FSU > USF so I mean you can talk all you want but I guarantee its harder for Out of State students to get into FSU rather then USF so yeah...sorry.

Team USA just pulled off a great performance right at the end for Mens Team Gymnastics so hopefully they can take the Silver.

Aye, So we cut Clifton Smith?!?!

Set Course for Tampa Bay! Its time we make Bruce Allen a member of Davy Jones Locker!

NovaBuc

Starter

#10 : August 12, 2008, 12:24:43 AM

Or it might have something to do with basketball is amateur in most countries, and a pretty low level sport. �The Olympics rotates sports in and out, especially when new demonstration sports come in. �Basketball should survive because it gets good viewing numbers ,and the IOC are all about exposure.

I did some looking at past Olympics, it appears most years the field is between 12 and 16 teams. The reason? FIBA sets up qualifying tournaments to set the field. There were more than 12 teams at the start, but only 12 qualified to go to the Olympics. I think your hypothesis might be a bit off. :)

Bucco40

Pro Bowler

#11 : August 12, 2008, 12:23:48 AM

U

S

A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Isn't past your bedtime?

....Your cool.

or your USF degree.

Set Course for Tampa Bay! Its time we make Bruce Allen a member of Davy Jones Locker!

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#12 : August 12, 2008, 12:23:05 AM

U

S

A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Isn't past your bedtime?

....Your cool.

not as cool as you and your made up girlfriend though ...  ;)

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#13 : August 12, 2008, 12:22:00 AM

There is no baseball in this years Olympics.� �;) �Actually basketball may get removed soon because only twelve teams entered.

Then what's this?

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/Schedule/BB.shtml

It must be out at the next Olympics.  I over heard them talking about it the other day.

Yes, I think this is the last year for now, but I knew there was a Ray's minor leaguer pitching for the Olympic team this year.

Bucco40

Pro Bowler

#14 : August 12, 2008, 12:21:10 AM

U

S

A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Isn't past your bedtime?

....Your cool.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 35
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2008 Summer Olympics Thread « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools