Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lynch visiting the Pats « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#15 : August 13, 2008, 09:50:57 PM

MEh...

I LOATHE the Pats, and this knocks him down a rung, IMO...

Agent Orange

Starter

#16 : August 13, 2008, 10:07:20 PM

The only thing I hope is they don't sign him before Sunday so he'll be on the sideline for Sunday's game. It pains me to see him in Tampa in another jersey. Damn You Gruden/Allen/Glazers/ Kiffin/anybody else who had anything to do with him leaving Tampa!!!!!!

MVP

Pro Bowler

#17 : August 13, 2008, 11:21:29 PM

MEh...

I LOATHE the Pats, and this knocks him down a rung, IMO...

John didn't hate Bucs fans after he got released. I think he deserves the same consideration.

replica

Hall of Famer
#18 : August 13, 2008, 11:22:37 PM

It seems like he still wants to play, and I would like to see him play too. How many Denver games did you find yourself watching & looking for Lynch? I have many times, if he wins another ring that just increases his chance of getting to Canton one day.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#19 : August 14, 2008, 08:37:21 AM

Lynch would single handedly bring the Patriots a superbowl ring. :) I hope he doesn't sign with the Pats because Belichick doesn't deserve him.

Haha I know you were kidding…but does anyone think Lynch would start if he signed there?  I mean they did just draft Meriweather in the 1st a year ago and already have Harrison.

Magnaccia

Pro Bowler

#20 : August 14, 2008, 09:30:36 AM

The Patriots linebackers and DBs leave a lot to be desired.
The Patriots took a lot of flak last year for their old LB's, but from what I've read and heard they are pretty solid at LB now.  Mike Vrabel and Adalius Thomas are good, their rookie Jerod Mayo is supposed to be playing very well, and they have another rookie (Crable?) that's supposed to be playing pretty well too.  If they can split reps between Crable and Bruschi, that sounds like a pretty good group of LB's to me.

As far as their DB goes, as I recall they won their last Super Bowl with a bunch of street free agents and a WR coming in as a nickel back.  I think their philosophy is that if you get enough pressure on the QB then your DB should be okay, and they have a pretty good DL with Seymour and Wilfork up front.

This next game should actually be very interesting to watch both teams, on both sides of the ball - at least when both teams starters are on the field.

Asante Samuel was a street free agent? lol.. Randall Gay was on that team as well.

http://www.graphicdesignmoney.comMake $$$$ online, ask me how :]

biffbeaumont

Starter

#21 : August 14, 2008, 10:02:51 AM

According to PFT Lynch and the Pats have come to terms....I wonder if they gave him a "physical"  ;)

The Q

Pro Bowler

#22 : August 14, 2008, 10:30:22 AM

PATS SIGN LYNCH
Posted by Mike Florio on August 14, 2008, 10:00 a.m. EDT

A league source tells us that the Patriots have agreed to terms with safety John Lynch.

Lynch, a nine-time Pro Bowler, could assume the role that the team was exploring for Tank Williams, who recently landed on injured reserve with a knee injury. Williams had been practicing at linebacker.

At this stage of his career, Lynch probably is a better fit playing closer to the line of scrimmage.

Good fit in NE for Lynch at this stage of his career.

The BUCS are gonna surprise people this year!

HughC

Pro Bowler

#23 : August 14, 2008, 10:45:00 AM

The Patriots linebackers and DBs leave a lot to be desired.
The Patriots took a lot of flak last year for their old LB's, but from what I've read and heard they are pretty solid at LB now. Mike Vrabel and Adalius Thomas are good, their rookie Jerod Mayo is supposed to be playing very well, and they have another rookie (Crable?) that's supposed to be playing pretty well too. If they can split reps between Crable and Bruschi, that sounds like a pretty good group of LB's to me.

As far as their DB goes, as I recall they won their last Super Bowl with a bunch of street free agents and a WR coming in as a nickel back. I think their philosophy is that if you get enough pressure on the QB then your DB should be okay, and they have a pretty good DL with Seymour and Wilfork up front.

This next game should actually be very interesting to watch both teams, on both sides of the ball - at least when both teams starters are on the field.

Asante Samuel was a street free agent? lol.. Randall Gay was on that team as well.
Randall Gay was an undrafted free agent, started 9 games.  Earthwind Moreland started two games and played in nine after having been out of football for two years, and then never played in the NFL again.  WR Troy Brown was their nickel back.  Samuel was a rookie, but just a 4th round draft pick from UCF that nobody had heard of yet.   I was also thinking that was the year they played Hank Poteat at CB too, but that was 2005 - my mistake.  

Point is, I think New England has shown they can win without big name DB's in the past.  Personally, I wouldn't say that their LB and DB leave a lot to be desired, but that's just my opinion.  I think a DL can make the DB look good, by forcing a QB to hurry his passes or throw off balance - or they can make the DB look bad, by giving the QB a lot of time to throw the ball.  

I have my opinion, you have yours, and we agree to disagree; I'll leave it at that.

Magnaccia

Pro Bowler

#24 : August 14, 2008, 10:57:23 AM

Their linebackers were also 3-4 years younger at the time. Now they're old, their secondary wasn't great last year and has been depleted even more.

Also, it's a lot easier to play pass defense when you know the team has to pass down 14,21,28 points lol.

The Patriots are good but I can think of probably 15 teams with a better secondary, which isn't going to work out well for them in games where the dline is nuetralized

http://www.graphicdesignmoney.comMake $$$$ online, ask me how :]

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#25 : August 14, 2008, 11:20:45 AM

Their linebackers were also 3-4 years younger at the time. Now they're old, their secondary wasn't great last year and has been depleted even more.

Also, it's a lot easier to play pass defense when you know the team has to pass down 14,21,28 points lol.

The Patriots are good but I can think of probably 15 teams with a better secondary, which isn't going to work out well for them in games where the dline is nuetralized

Few and far between

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#26 : August 14, 2008, 11:22:40 AM

They added a lot of youth with their linebacker unit.

The Bucs o-line will be tested by them for sure and I hope they are ready because they will be bringing heat from everywhere and anywhere.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#27 : August 14, 2008, 11:26:10 AM

Wow...how desparate are the Pats?

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#28 : August 14, 2008, 11:40:19 AM

Wow...how desparate are the Pats?

They do have some young players they are hoping can turn the corner in the secondary, but they are hurting (especially with Tank out).  Lynch will fill Tanks role of playing in the box (which I am sure he is capable of assuming John makes the team).  It will be interesting to see if they can recover (or even improve) without Eugen Wilson, Asante Samuel, and Randall Gay in the secondary this coming year.

I will say that if the Bucs receivers fail to show some positives against this group bring out the pitchforks.

redwolf384

Practice Squad
#29 : August 14, 2008, 12:48:06 PM

John Lynch will always be one of the most respected Bucs ever. If the Pats sign him I will be torn. I'm sick of Billicheat and the Pats, but have been a Lynch fan all along. Wherever he goes may he lay the lumber and stay healthy and happy til the day he decides to pull the plug. Good luck John:)
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lynch visiting the Pats « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools