Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BARRY BONDS « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Magnaccia

Pro Bowler

#15 : August 14, 2008, 05:50:51 PM

Google human papilloma virus and you tell me

http://www.graphicdesignmoney.comMake $$$$ online, ask me how :]

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#16 : August 14, 2008, 06:27:27 PM

ill tell you no without the google.  at least not from a life expectancy outlook.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

jameswilder

Starter

#17 : August 14, 2008, 07:30:28 PM

I too was on the Sheffield idea bandwagon, but he's really banged up and not the Shef of a few years ago, most likely his last year in MLB.

As much as I don't like Bonds, if Crawford is done for the year and Longoria's injury last's longer than expected, what could a try out hurt? With Percy tweaking his hammy again this afternoon, the injury bug is biting the Rays clubhouse in the past two weeks. We are going to have to get some run production in the next 6 weeks, it's a brutal schedule going into the home stretch.

I'm not a Bonds fan at all, but if he can still hit, why not rent him for 2 months and see if we can't get to the playoffs and possibly further?

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy- B. Franklin.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#18 : August 14, 2008, 08:24:16 PM

Rays win again ... without Barroid who is also pretty banged up and not himself and who will bring a me first circus environment to a team built on the team first mentality.  We've won on pitching and defense all year.   No thanks on Bonds I'd rather go with Ruggiano and Baldelli.

jameswilder

Starter

#19 : August 14, 2008, 08:34:14 PM

Rays win again ... without Barroid who is also pretty banged up and not himself and who will bring a me first circus environment to a team built on the team first mentality. We've won on pitching and defense all year. No thanks on Bonds I'd rather go with Ruggiano and Baldelli.

I prefaced my comment by saying IF Bonds could contribute. I'm no fan of his, but I'm watching the Rays leave lots of guys in scoring position against the Mariners and A's, hardly the same as playing against the Angeles and Red Sox. And a pretty rough schedule is coming up in the next several weeks. Lets hope that Evan can come back Sept 1st as reported, if he misses most of September, I think that hurts the Rays badly.

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy- B. Franklin.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#20 : August 14, 2008, 08:43:18 PM

Again, this isn't a new issue.  We've won with pitching and defense all year

royceks

Rookie

#21 : August 14, 2008, 11:10:26 PM

Heres a tip to the DEVIL RAYS...saw Bonds on tv 3 days ago and he is in unbelievable shape....and wants to play for some team....put him at dh and bat him 3rd.
Tell me you're kidding...said like a true Dodger fan.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#22 : August 14, 2008, 11:57:46 PM

That's like saying I'd rather have Clamidia over HPV.

Very good analogy. And I definitely would rather have chlamydia than herpes.

#23 : August 15, 2008, 04:12:48 AM

no thanks, hes almost 45, hasnt faced ML pitching in 1 year, and last time we saw him play he couldnt play the field and could barely run to 1B. No and no

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#24 : August 15, 2008, 09:13:03 AM

Again, this isn't a new issue.  We've won with pitching and defense all year

yet we've lost a goldglove caliber LF, a goldglove caliber 3B, our goldglove caliber SS is dinged, and we never had a goldglove caliber RF to begin with.

while our guys might get peppered with some questions, why not let the circus happen in durham?  im not saying it should definitely be done, but it merits real consideration.  ive got no problem with the FO standing pat at the deadline, our team was still stacked.  but 2 weeks later and we are hurting.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#25 : August 15, 2008, 11:13:08 AM

Again, this isn't a new issue. We've won with pitching and defense all year

yet we've lost a goldglove caliber LF, a goldglove caliber 3B, our goldglove caliber SS is dinged, and we never had a goldglove caliber RF to begin with.

I'm not sure how Bonds addresses any of these issues.  The loss of defense is far more concerning to me than offense, but there's only so much you can do about that.
Again, this isn't a new issue. We've won with pitching and defense all year

while our guys might get peppered with some questions, why not let the circus happen in durham? im not saying it should definitely be done, but it merits real consideration. ive got no problem with the FO standing pat at the deadline, our team was still stacked. but 2 weeks later and we are hurting.

last thing these guys need is a media circus down the stretch.  Especially when it's a one dimensional guy well past his prime whose been out of baseball for nearly a year.  We're not the only team that could use some hitting.  Don't you think this idea has crossed the mind of the Yankees and Red Sox and would have been acted upon if it was really a good idea.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#26 : August 15, 2008, 11:27:45 AM

I'm not sure how Bonds addresses any of these issues.  The loss of defense is far more concerning to me than offense, but there's only so much you can do about that.

last thing these guys need is a media circus down the stretch.  Especially when it's a one dimensional guy well past his prime whose been out of baseball for nearly a year.  We're not the only team that could use some hitting.  Don't you think this idea has crossed the mind of the Yankees and Red Sox and would have been acted upon if it was really a good idea.

bonds MIGHT address the issue because added offense could make up for missing defense.

and whether these guys need it or not, they will get a media circus.  evan longoria just did an interview because he got hurt.  dont you think the idea of nady and bay crossed the minds of the yankees and redsox?  dont you think the idea of giles crossed the minds of them?   its not a real good idea, its a mysterious idea.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#27 : August 15, 2008, 11:46:41 AM

lol.  interviews about games or injuries are one thing.  The image tarnished accused cheating alleged criminal returning to the field is a completely different thing.  Not even remotely the same.  And again we don't know how much he'll bring to the table as a hitter anyway.  The Rays have won on a team effort basis all year, I'd prefer not to risk that on Barroid.

Magnaccia

Pro Bowler

#28 : August 15, 2008, 02:07:05 PM

That's like saying I'd rather have Clamidia over HPV.

Very good analogy. And I definitely would rather have chlamydia than herpes.

I wouldn't want either, but if I had to choose one it'd be the least damaging lol.

Both of them have cancerous personalities it would seem and that's probably not the best thing to introduce on a team of mostly younger players.

http://www.graphicdesignmoney.comMake $$$$ online, ask me how :]

#29 : August 15, 2008, 04:54:42 PM

I think the upside to signing Bonds is potentially great. The downside is nothing. I dont see him being a distraction, I really dont. Not a bad one atleast. Tejada is still playing in Houston and he has been hit woth a ton of controversy the past year. Pettite is pitching in NY and he hasnt become a cancer to them. Milwuakee is in the pennant race and they have a convicted roider who was once a Cy Young winner.

I think Bonds would let his ego take a backseat, and with the typoe of young energetic team we have I think Bonds would fit in well the way Percival and Floyd have into the clubhouse

I just think that all teh clamoring for Bonds that has gone on in thsi town with a ceratin section of fans is all for nothing. Not because he wont come here, but because I think he is more likely to fail than succeed. I call it the backup QB theory. There has been a lot of uneasiness all year regarding our offense, and everyone thinks Bonds is this ace in the hole. IMO, hes not. But I wont lie, I will be excited if we signed him. Just for the slim possibility of him working out and the lack of a downside to any of this

So did you hear me olaf? If we DO sigin Bonds and it turns into a media circus and our team implodes and Maddon loses the lockerroom, you will not see me criticize the move in hindsight to bring him in.  I want to make sure you dont get confused. As you can see, outside of a few gramatical errors from typing too fast, my points are clear and concise
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BARRY BONDS « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools