Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Memo to Kiffin: Please retire after this season so the team can lock up Morris « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

kmitchell

Starter

#30 : August 14, 2008, 01:32:35 PM

Never get rid of Monte. He has kept us as a top 5 defense for how many years now? Other teams are copying our defensive schemes because they are so effective. I know for sure the Bears and Lions run the Tampa 2.

biffbeaumont

Starter

#31 : August 14, 2008, 01:34:15 PM

Never get rid of Monte. He has kept us as a top 5 defense for how many years now? Other teams are copying our defensive schemes because they are so effective. I know for sure the Bears and Lions run the Tampa 2.

Can he coach from the grave?

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#32 : August 14, 2008, 01:36:13 PM

If Morris stays, he only stays to someday become the HC. If the Bucs kick Monte to the curb and give Morris the DC job, he's gonna eventually leave to be a HC somewhere else anyway, unless they kick Gurden to the curb too.

So this suggestion makes no sense.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#33 : August 14, 2008, 01:57:32 PM

monte can move into coyers role.  i think its better in the NFL to stay AHEAD of the curve, not fall behind it because of what someone did for you in the past.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#34 : August 14, 2008, 02:02:56 PM

And what if he wants to stay long past his usefulness?

I assume if our defense drops to the bottom 15 in the league and we rattle off a few losing seasons because of it, you'd be fine with that?

Wow - like you think that is happening?  I have one foot firmly planted on each side of the fence.  I think Curt said it well - Treat Morris like Dallas is treating Garrett - assuming Morris will accept that.  Don't want to lose either.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#35 : August 14, 2008, 02:20:34 PM

If it aint broke, don’t fix it.  I agree that it would be a shame to lose Morris, but he will be a DC somewhere else before here and then eventually a head coach if he truly is a good as he is.  Kiffin has had this D in the top forever.  He is the best D coordinator in the league and the Bucs would never get rid of him.  He is here until he retires and as long as he has the Bucs D in the top 10, they will have no problem with that.

Typical Buc Fan stance on this board---always want the back-ups to take over, whether we are talking about the players or the coaches….

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#36 : August 14, 2008, 02:25:04 PM

I think Curt said it well - Treat Morris like Dallas is treating Garrett - assuming Morris will accept that.

There is a small difference between Garrett and Morris.  Garrett is a OC with the promise of Head Coach.  Morris is a position coach...would his promise be for a DC or Head Coach.  If Morris were offered a DC job somewhere else, I don't see him turning it down to wait for Kiffin to retire, but you never know.

Magnaccia

Pro Bowler

#37 : August 14, 2008, 02:58:16 PM

Uhmmmm.

Pretty sure Dungy was a bigger role in the Tampa 2 than Kiffin. Him being a player for the Steelers in the 70s when the embryo that would become the defense was created.

http://www.graphicdesignmoney.comMake $$$$ online, ask me how :]

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#38 : August 14, 2008, 03:33:03 PM

This is crazy. Monte's the only man in the NFL who's ever had 10 straight seasons of a Top 10 D and last year we finished 2nd in D and people are ready to replace him?

You're taking this the wrong way. You can't hang on forever, hell, if Monte was 50 or 60 it would be different, dude is bordering on the end of his career. Once again, it's not an indictment on Monte, his skills, and what he's brought the organization. That will never be forgotten but to hinder the franchise moving forward would have a long-term affect. The Bucs have the perfect person to come in for Monte.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#39 : August 14, 2008, 03:25:39 PM

Kiffin is the least of the Bucs coaching problems. He stays and they need to treat Morris they way Dallas treats Garrett

It's not an indicment on Monte, Bruce has to think long-term. It is time for Monte to step aside.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#40 : August 14, 2008, 03:28:18 PM

Raheem is the next good one. We all know this...

But Monte leaves when he is damn well ready. Period.

This isn't college where Joe Pa and Bowden stay well beyond the time they're supposed to and everyone is fine with it. You have to know when it's time and now is the time. This is the NFL, you don't leave when you're ready you leave when the team tells you to leave. This isn't a shot at Monte, he's been outstanding but this team can't continue losing these coaches.
Kiff has a deal in place, and for obvious reasons, there is no reason to push him out the door quite yet.

The guy has the energy level to coach at a much higher level than Joe Pa, or Bowden, or practically half of the fat lards in the coaching ranks looking to better themselves. Why the rush to boot him? I would like to see him coach for three or four more years...why not? Has he been "slipping lately"? Hell no! He will leave when he is ready to...there is no damn waaaay he is going to "lose touch" with the game. He is a GREAT coach, does his job incredibly well and with incredible efficiency and energy...

Not a slam on Raheem, but Kiff will leave when he is ready. That is written in stone. (Practically)

Again, this isn't a slam on Monte at all. The guy has been a staple here and a legend but there comes a time when you cut ties. The time is now, if I was Allen Monte would be gone after this season.

Magnaccia

Pro Bowler

#41 : August 14, 2008, 03:30:10 PM

And what if he wants to stay long past his usefulness?

I assume if our defense drops to the bottom 15 in the league and we rattle off a few losing seasons because of it, you'd be fine with that?

Wow - like you think that is happening?  I have one foot firmly planted on each side of the fence.  I think Curt said it well - Treat Morris like Dallas is treating Garrett - assuming Morris will accept that.  Don't want to lose either.

As you get older, your abilities weaken, it's a fact of life. You're mentally and physically able to take on less.

It's going to happen, sure as the sun will set and rise again, it will happen. Maybe Kiffin will retire first, maybe he'll drag his feet like Bowden and Patterno and stick around long enough to start the downslide.

Magnaccia

Pro Bowler

#42 : August 14, 2008, 03:37:19 PM

Some of you are treating an NFL team like it's a college.

They're not the same.

Patterno and Bowden can stick around forever because they're as much a part of their respective schools as the mascot, the stadium and the logo.

The NFL is a different beast because when it comes down to it the owner and financial big wigs in the front office decide your fate. In college, the hundreds of thousands of alumni and students can love you and you're a demi God. Doesn't matter how many people love you if you're an NFL coach because if you don't produce up to the owner's standards, c-ya.

The Glazers replaced the lovable Dungy when they thought they could do better, I'm guessing they'll replace Monte when they think they've found better.

Not to mention letting go of Buc legends like Sapp and Lynch - when your time is up, it's up. If you think Kiffin is sacred, lol.

Bucs_Rule

Hall of Famer
#43 : August 14, 2008, 03:41:35 PM

You guys seem to forget that Monte has been here for such a long time since he really doesn't want to be a head coach. I don't think you could say the same for Morris. If we make Morris the DC how long will he keep the job before he wants to be a head coach? Then after he leaves who are we left with? The best thing about Monte is he wants to stay here as DC for a long time so let him keep his job until he wants to retire.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#44 : August 14, 2008, 03:41:46 PM

Yea I hear ya…but with Kiffin…can you get much better?  If we have 2 seasons of say a mid-defensive ranking then maybe they will see he slipped and that they need new blood, but I think Kiffin, as long as he has this D in the top 10 will be given all the time he wants.  Many people already know about Morris, I’m surprised nobody offered him a DC spot yet.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Memo to Kiffin: Please retire after this season so the team can lock up Morris « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools