Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BREAKING: BUCS BREAK CAMP « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#15 : August 14, 2008, 10:53:08 AM

BTW, did Gruden name a starter for Saturdays game yet? ?Will you all be shocked and appalled when it is Griese?

I would be shocked is Griese started on Saturday.

That would definitely mean McCown would start on Sunday.

And nice catch lol.  I meant Sunday.  I think Gruden wants to give both QBs a fair chance to win that #2 job.  Both had decent performances last week with Griese having the upperhand with a lengthy TD drive in his one series.  If Griese can grab the bull by the horns against the tough Pats team than I would say he pretty much locks up that #2 spot.  I know McCown huggers don’t want to hear that but try not to tell me that is true.  Say Griese plays a quarter and a half against the Pats and he has no turnovers, a TD drive, and at least one field goal drive.  I would say that is good enough especially with Griese already having the upperhand being the veteran.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#16 : August 14, 2008, 10:55:52 AM

That's what I try to point out.. we didn't trade for Griese to have him be an after thought. If McCown was so good, we wouldn't needed more insurance for when/if our starter goes down.

McCown has had opportunity, if he were the future and as great as he's talked up here, he wouldn't STILL be a backup while the front office ever pursues vets to plug in as starter.

Most guys need more than 12 games... over 4 years to really show what they can do.  McCown was stuck being a backup in Cleveland behind Garcia.  That offseason, the Bucs traded for him.  In only his 2nd year, he was relagated to the bench behing Griese and Simms.  Technically, the kid has been given a chance... go compare his first 7 starts to Peyton Mannings and tell me McCown CAN'T be the future.

Look, I'm not saying that he is the future, I just know that Garcia and Griese AREN'T.  Throw the kid out there and lets see what he can do.

My little cousin is 14 and heck that is about 13 years younger than McCown.  So I say….my little cousin may not be the future, but I know for a fact Griese, Garcia, and McCown aren’t.

Listen, that isn’t how the NFL works.  Just because McCown is younger doesn’t mean he is the future.  If we were going to throw our season out the window like it seems like you want to do since you rather have the 3rd best QB start because he is simply younger, then why not throw Josh Johnson in the fire.  Heck he is about 5-6 years younger than McCown.

Magnaccia

Pro Bowler

#17 : August 14, 2008, 11:01:08 AM

That's what I try to point out.. we didn't trade for Griese to have him be an after thought. If McCown was so good, we wouldn't needed more insurance for when/if our starter goes down.

McCown has had opportunity, if he were the future and as great as he's talked up here, he wouldn't STILL be a backup while the front office ever pursues vets to plug in as starter.

Most guys need more than 12 games... over 4 years to really show what they can do.  McCown was stuck being a backup in Cleveland behind Garcia.  That offseason, the Bucs traded for him.  In only his 2nd year, he was relagated to the bench behing Griese and Simms.  Technically, the kid has been given a chance... go compare his first 7 starts to Peyton Mannings and tell me McCown CAN'T be the future.

Look, I'm not saying that he is the future, I just know that Garcia and Griese AREN'T.  Throw the kid out there and lets see what he can do.

Manning was a rookie starter, whats the comparison? lol

How many chances did it take Warner, Brady, Bulger, Delhomme, etc?

They didn't get a chance to start then go right back to being a bench warmer. Why is that? Because they were starting caliber QBs and made it painfully obvious. McCown is a backup (there are a lot of backups, it's an important position.. not a knock) and it seems to me that it's where he belongs.

http://www.graphicdesignmoney.comMake $$$$ online, ask me how :]

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#18 : August 14, 2008, 11:04:08 AM

If the Bucs show up in the upcoming pre season game then this will not mean much. If not then the questions will start to fly if they are ready for the season?
Luke is ready to take this team to the next level. He got the TC reps he really needed. IMO, this is a blessing in disguise as we all know Garcia won't make it thru game 3. Luke and Griese got plenty of reps to step in when needed, probably sooner than later. Much more concerned about Galloway.

Haha got to love your disdain for Garcia and love for McCown.

BTW, did Gruden name a starter for Saturdays game yet?  Will you all be shocked and appalled when it is Griese?

Based on the comments made by Gruden this week, it appears that Griese is the #2 QB.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#19 : August 14, 2008, 11:05:03 AM

If the Bucs show up in the upcoming pre season game then this will not mean much. If not then the questions will start to fly if they are ready for the season?

Because they skipped this morning's workout?

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#20 : August 14, 2008, 11:08:04 AM

I don't believe anyone here hates Garcia. They just aren't confident the team can depend on him. Four days of actual practice in TC isn't encouraging. Griese is more durable and has had success with a much less talented team here in '04 and '05. He could finish his NFL career as a Buccaneer and not complain about his role or his contract while doing it. McCown's success is the most impressive because of his lack of experience in actual games. He has the most upside and the greatest potential to still be playing four or five years from now.

We know Garcia and Griese are backup QBs, We can't say the same about McCown based on three starts for this team.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#21 : August 14, 2008, 11:12:04 AM

Because they skipped this morning's workout?

You have to admit overall it has been a light workload the last few weeks compared to previous off seasons no?

Magnaccia

Pro Bowler

#22 : August 14, 2008, 11:12:59 AM

I don't believe anyone here hates Garcia. They just aren't confident the team can depend on him. Four days of actual practice in TC isn't encouraging. Griese is more durable and has had success with a much less talented team here in '04 and '05. He could finish his NFL career as a Buccaneer and not complain about his role or his contract while doing it. McCown's success is the most impressive because of his lack of experience in actual games. He has the most upside and the greatest potential to still be playing four or five years from now.

We know Garcia and Griese are backup QBs, We can't say the same about McCown based on three starts for this team.

Uh, what about saying it based on the fact he's ridden the pine for 3 years here and after getting his chances to start, was quickly sat right back on the bench once the #1 guy came back.

If he were good, he'd have taken the job by now. Especially since *every* off season there's talk of upgrading the QB position.

Teams with franchise QBs simply don't look to upgrade the position at every opportunity. That shows me he's not the guy fanboys think he is.

And yes, maybe *we've* only seen him show off what he's got a few times, but the coaches see him every practice, every camp, every meeting, etc etc etc. If he was flashing greatness, or even signs of being a slightly above average starter.. he'd not be the #3 QB right now.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#23 : August 14, 2008, 11:17:10 AM

Luke is ready to take this team to the next level. He got the TC reps he really needed. IMO, this is a blessing in disguise as we all know Garcia won't make it thru game 3. Luke and Griese got plenty of reps to step in when needed, probably sooner than later. Much more concerned about Galloway.

Haha got to love your disdain for Garcia and love for McCown.

BTW, did Gruden name a starter for Saturdays game yet?  Will you all be shocked and appalled when it is Griese?

Based on the comments made by Gruden this week, it appears that Griese is the #2 QB.

Really?  I could be wrong but I did not sense that in reading what Gruden has said this week.

k_bassuka

Starter

#24 : August 14, 2008, 11:21:25 AM

Technically, the kid has been given a chance... go compare his first 7 starts to Peyton Mannings and tell me McCown CAN'T be the future.

No he can't. You see Payton on his rookie year beat out proven vets for the starting job, even though the team struggled at first, during their practices and training camp you could see that he was something special (I saw must of his first training camp), and lets not forget that Payton inherited a pretty bad team. Once again all great QB's and franchise QB at least have beaten their competition during practice, I think that’s very foolish to give the job to Ms. McCown when he hasn't earned it (I really doubt the he ever will), it wouldn't be fair for the rest of the team to put Luke in and throw away the season just to see how bad he's going to struggle, like always.

#25 : August 14, 2008, 11:23:02 AM

It's funny how some of you label different posters.

If you point out positives, you are a "lover/hugger".  If you do the opposite, you are a "hater/disdainer".

Why don't people stop with the labeling of other posters?  It's childish.

IMO, you either support the team or you don't.  Period.

#26 : August 14, 2008, 11:24:32 AM

Manning did not necessarily beat out any proven vets.  Indy spent a boatload on the guy and stuck him in there to learn on the fly.  This is something Tampa Bay should have done long ago, as opposed to the band-aid approach.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#27 : August 14, 2008, 11:28:41 AM

So Garcia is a back-up QB?  The same guy that turned a 4-12 team in 06 into a division winner in 07? The guy was 8-4 as starter.  Take from that what you will; also I don’t think back-ups would even be considered for probowls even as alternates.  In 2006, Garcia helped rally an Eagles team that was 5-5 when McNabb went out for the year.  The team finished 10-6 and even won a playoff game under Garcia, losing by a field goal to make it to the NFC Championship game.  The Eagles didn’t want him back due to a possible QB controversy.  (I live Eagle Country and believe me they loved Jeff)  I’m not saying McCown isn’t capable of being a starter, but your being flat out ignorant if you think Jeff is a back-up.

and McCown can only dream to have the careers both Jeff and Brian have had.  Right now McCown should be happy with a job.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#28 : August 14, 2008, 11:28:55 AM

I just don�t get it.  I defend Garcia and point out McCown�s negatives and I get pinned for being a McCown hater and all this other stuff, but that is not true.  Heck I was even told I wasn�t a Buc Fan because of my support of Garcia and disdain of McCown.  That one really made me laugh.  I�m not a Buc fan because I support their starting QB. Hmmm.  Listen, if McCown turns out to be �all he can be� like many of you with your heads in the clouds think, then by all means I�ll be ecstatic and admit I was wrong.  If a few years from now he is hoisting the Lombardi, do you honestly think I�d be �ahh humbug�.  No.  However, I feel many here are rooting for Garcia to fail or get injured just so McCown can get his chance.  Now that, IMO, is not being a Buc Fan, but rather being a �politician� that wants to be right and rather be right that see success.  It seems many here are rooting against Garcia and for that I say, you aren�t true Buc Fans.  You support the team.  You could like a guy, but because you want a 3rd stringer in there to start and prematurely jumped on the bandwagon, don�t start rooting against Garcia and Griese.

You qualify as a hater when you put a tag line on every post that attacks a specific player as you did with Luke McCown. There is nothing wrong with favoring one player over another. We all do that. There is nothing wrong with making comparisons between them. You cross the line when you single out one guy and focus on his mistakes and ignore his inexperience and anything that might be positive about him. McCown's issues are correctable. Garcia's issues are not. McCown will get better with experience. Garcia will get older, slower, and more fragile. The ONLY advantage he has on McCown is game experience.

Magnaccia

Pro Bowler

#29 : August 14, 2008, 11:31:17 AM

Manning did not necessarily beat out any proven vets.  Indy spent a boatload on the guy and stuck him in there to learn on the fly.  This is something Tampa Bay should have done long ago, as opposed to the band-aid approach.

Because that worked out so well for Kyle Boeller, Joey Harrington, David Carr, etc.

Yeah, it's great to do that when you have Peyton Manning, the future best QB of his era. Too bad there's one of him and 31 other teams.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BREAKING: BUCS BREAK CAMP « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools