Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BREAKING: BUCS BREAK CAMP « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#30 : August 14, 2008, 11:34:50 AM

I just don�t get it. I defend Garcia and point out McCown�s negatives and I get pinned for being a McCown hater and all this other stuff, but that is not true. Heck I was even told I wasn�t a Buc Fan because of my support of Garcia and disdain of McCown. That one really made me laugh. I�m not a Buc fan because I support their starting QB. Hmmm. Listen, if McCown turns out to be �all he can be� like many of you with your heads in the clouds think, then by all means I�ll be ecstatic and admit I was wrong. If a few years from now he is hoisting the Lombardi, do you honestly think I�d be �ahh humbug�. No. However, I feel many here are rooting for Garcia to fail or get injured just so McCown can get his chance. Now that, IMO, is not being a Buc Fan, but rather being a �politician� that wants to be right and rather be right that see success. It seems many here are rooting against Garcia and for that I say, you aren�t true Buc Fans. You support the team. You could like a guy, but because you want a 3rd stringer in there to start and prematurely jumped on the bandwagon, don�t start rooting against Garcia and Griese.

You qualify as a hater when you put a tag line on every post that attacks a specific player as you did with Luke McCown. There is nothing wrong with favoring one player over another. We all do that. There is nothing wrong with making comparisons between them. You cross the line when you single out one guy and focus on his mistakes and ignore his inexperience and anything that might be positive about him. McCown's issues are correctable. Garcia's issues are not. McCown will get better with experience. Garcia will get older, slower, and more fragile. The ONLY advantage he has on McCown is game experience.

You qualify as a hater when you put a tag line on every post that attacks a specific player as you did with Jeff Garcia. There is nothing wrong with favoring one player over another. We all do that. There is nothing wrong with making comparisons between them. You cross the line when you single out one guy and focus on his mistakes and ignore his inexperience and anything that might be positive about him. Garcia’s issues are correctable. McCown’s issues are not. It’s your opinion that McCown will get better with experience. Garcia/McCown and everyone that ages will get older, slower, and more fragile. The ONLY advantage he has on McCown is game experience, talent, the ability to win games, the ability to elude a sack, the ability to to not turn the ball over, etc. 

k_bassuka

Starter

#31 : August 14, 2008, 11:38:54 AM

He its just blinded by his McCown love affair.

#32 : August 14, 2008, 11:40:48 AM

He its just blinded by his McCown love affair.

This is what I am talking about.  When you give a guy your support, it is a so-called "love affair".  How ridiculous.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#33 : August 14, 2008, 11:43:35 AM

PreferNFL…I agree sometimes we go overboard with the comments, but do you not agree that the same that support McCown on this argument go out of their way to insult Garcia.

Try to be reasonable man.  I agree that both sides are at opposite ends but rationality, stats, Gruden, and a majority of the NFL would agree with the Garcia side of this debate; which is why we are so boggled by the “love-fest” with McCown.  As for those like myself, with the “love-fest” with Garcia.(I was even mistaken for Carmella), its because we are defending our starting QB and truly believes he gives us the best chance to win.  We also believe that we don’t have a future QB on this roster or if we do its Josh Johnson who isn’t ready to play yet. 

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#34 : August 14, 2008, 11:47:02 AM

We know Garcia and Griese are backup QBs, We can't say the same about McCown based on three starts for this team.

So Garcia is a back-up QB?  The same guy that turned a 4-12 team in 06 into a division winner in 07? The guy was 8-4 as starter.  Take from that what you will; also I don�t think back-ups would even be considered for probowls even as alternates.  In 2006, Garcia helped rally an Eagles team that was 5-5 when McNabb went out for the year.  The team finished 10-6 and even won a playoff game under Garcia, losing by a field goal to make it to the NFC Championship game.  The Eagles didn�t want him back due to a possible QB controversy.  (I live Eagle Country and believe me they loved Jeff)  I�m not saying McCown isn�t capable of being a starter, but your being flat out ignorant if you think Jeff is a back-up.

and McCown can only dream to have the careers both Jeff and Brian have had.  Right now McCown should be happy with a job.

When Garcia signed on with the fleagles, he signed on as a backup. He understood that that was his role. He knew McNabb was the starter. He was content to sit on the bench and watch the games. He knew what he did in Detroit and Cleveland and accepted that position. That qualifies him as a backup. Griese did the same thing in Chicago.

Griese still has some miles left on him.
McCown has a future in the NFL.
Right now Garcia should be happy he has a job. He won't much longer. He's no Testeverde.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#35 : August 14, 2008, 11:49:27 AM

I just don�t get it. I defend Garcia and point out McCown�s negatives and I get pinned for being a McCown hater and all this other stuff, but that is not true. Heck I was even told I wasn�t a Buc Fan because of my support of Garcia and disdain of McCown. That one really made me laugh. I�m not a Buc fan because I support their starting QB. Hmmm. Listen, if McCown turns out to be �all he can be� like many of you with your heads in the clouds think, then by all means I�ll be ecstatic and admit I was wrong. If a few years from now he is hoisting the Lombardi, do you honestly think I�d be �ahh humbug�. No. However, I feel many here are rooting for Garcia to fail or get injured just so McCown can get his chance. Now that, IMO, is not being a Buc Fan, but rather being a �politician� that wants to be right and rather be right that see success. It seems many here are rooting against Garcia and for that I say, you aren�t true Buc Fans. You support the team. You could like a guy, but because you want a 3rd stringer in there to start and prematurely jumped on the bandwagon, don�t start rooting against Garcia and Griese.

You qualify as a hater when you put a tag line on every post that attacks a specific player as you did with Luke McCown. There is nothing wrong with favoring one player over another. We all do that. There is nothing wrong with making comparisons between them. You cross the line when you single out one guy and focus on his mistakes and ignore his inexperience and anything that might be positive about him. McCown's issues are correctable. Garcia's issues are not. McCown will get better with experience. Garcia will get older, slower, and more fragile. The ONLY advantage he has on McCown is game experience.

You qualify as a hater when you put a tag line on every post that attacks a specific player as you did with Jeff Garcia. There is nothing wrong with favoring one player over another. We all do that. There is nothing wrong with making comparisons between them. You cross the line when you single out one guy and focus on his mistakes and ignore his inexperience and anything that might be positive about him. Garcia’s issues are correctable. McCown’s issues are not. It’s your opinion that McCown will get better with experience. Garcia/McCown and everyone that ages will get older, slower, and more fragile. The ONLY advantage he has on McCown is game experience, talent, the ability to win games, the ability to elude a sack, the ability to to not turn the ball over, etc. 

See what I mean?

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#36 : August 14, 2008, 11:52:22 AM

We know Garcia and Griese are backup QBs, We can't say the same about McCown based on three starts for this team.

So Garcia is a back-up QB?  The same guy that turned a 4-12 team in 06 into a division winner in 07? The guy was 8-4 as starter.  Take from that what you will; also I don�t think back-ups would even be considered for probowls even as alternates.  In 2006, Garcia helped rally an Eagles team that was 5-5 when McNabb went out for the year.  The team finished 10-6 and even won a playoff game under Garcia, losing by a field goal to make it to the NFC Championship game.  The Eagles didn�t want him back due to a possible QB controversy.  (I live Eagle Country and believe me they loved Jeff)  I�m not saying McCown isn�t capable of being a starter, but your being flat out ignorant if you think Jeff is a back-up.

and McCown can only dream to have the careers both Jeff and Brian have had.  Right now McCown should be happy with a job.

When Garcia signed on with the fleagles, he signed on as a backup. He understood that that was his role. He knew McNabb was the starter. He was content to sit on the bench and watch the games. He knew what he did in Detroit and Cleveland and accepted that position. That qualifies him as a backup. Griese did the same thing in Chicago.

Griese still has some miles left on him.
McCown has a future in the NFL.
Right now Garcia should be happy he has a job. He won't much longer. He's no Testeverde.

McCown and Garcia have contracts that run up at the end of the year. 

Both will be out of a job until they find a new one unless either one (or both) are extended by the Buccaneers front office.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#37 : August 14, 2008, 11:54:45 AM

.  I agree that both sides are at opposite ends but rationality, stats, Gruden, and a majority of the NFL would agree with the Garcia side of this debate; which is why we are so boggled by the “love-fest” with McCown. 

Because Luke can walk on water without making a splash.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#38 : August 14, 2008, 11:58:23 AM

It's funny how some of you label different posters.

If you point out positives, you are a "lover/hugger".  If you do the opposite, you are a "hater/disdainer".

Why don't people stop with the labeling of other posters?  It's childish.

IMO, you either support the team or you don't.  Period.

Whiner

J/K!!!  ;)

#39 : August 14, 2008, 11:58:49 AM

PreferNFL…I agree sometimes we go overboard with the comments, but do you not agree that the same that support McCown on this argument go out of their way to insult Garcia.

Try to be reasonable man. I agree that both sides are at opposite ends but rationality, stats, Gruden, and a majority of the NFL would agree with the Garcia side of this debate; which is why we are so boggled by the “love-fest” with McCown. As for those like myself, with the “love-fest” with Garcia.(I was even mistaken for Carmella), its because we are defending our starting QB and truly believes he gives us the best chance to win. We also believe that we don’t have a future QB on this roster or if we do its Josh Johnson who isn’t ready to play yet.

No problem....I'll give you "reasonab;e".

It is reasonable to assume that Garcia is going to miss time this season----again.

It is reasonable that Garcia has a rep of fragility.

It is reasonable for fans to have grown tired of watching band-aids patching a position that is arguably the most critical on a football roster to require consistency.  It is further reasonable to understand that this consistency cannot be achieved over the long term without playing the young guys and letting them get better.  And it is reasonable to realize this will work, as has been witnessed by the careers of John Elway, Peyton Manning, Troy Aikman, just to name a few.  All 3 of the aforementioned sucked pond water their first season, but each ultimately became elite at their craft.

It is reasonable for fans to want their own versions of Manning or Elway or Aikman.  It is reasonable to understand that guys like those 3 do not land in your hands every day.

Most importantly, it is reasonable for everyone to have their own thought/ideas/opinions on players, without the retribution of being labeled a lover/hugger/hater/disdainer.

Signed,
The Voice of REASON-able.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#40 : August 14, 2008, 12:03:23 PM

funny how everyone wanted the big play big risk guy in favre, yet not many want the big play big risk guy in mccown.  also funny how garcia is a great fit for this team because he manages the game well, and moves the ball slowly down the field.  something that griese seems to be doing and receiving the nickname capt checkdown.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

#41 : August 14, 2008, 12:08:16 PM

I wouldn't be shocked if SoB started v the Pats.  A bit disappointed perhaps.  He was "meh" against the fins, I know some people though his little checkdown exhibition was inspired football, but it was just crap to me.  Not that it didn't get the job done, but you would think a former starter would be able to accomplish more than 5-yard dinks against a backup D in a preseason game.  Nothing wrong with doing it, but it doesn't exactly show anything to do it either. 

SO who knows who the starter will be?  For "fairness' sake", if it's an open competition, maybe you start Brian.  Then again you have more film of Brian, so maybe you start Luke again? 

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#42 : August 14, 2008, 12:08:26 PM

It is reasonable for fans to have grown tired of watching band-aids patching a position that is arguably the most critical on a football roster to require consistency.  It is further reasonable to understand that this consistency cannot be achieved over the long term without playing the young guys and letting them get better.  And it is reasonable to realize this will work, as has been witnessed by the careers of John Elway, Peyton Manning, Troy Aikman, just to name a few.  All 3 of the aforementioned sucked pond water their first season, but each ultimately became elite at their craft.

To find a John Elway, Peyton Manning, or Troy Aikman you have to be willing to invest a draft pick for a level of consistency.

Bringing vets in to run this offense can work (and net the team wins) but the limitations by now are painfully clear when you look at the long term.

#43 : August 14, 2008, 12:10:25 PM

ADW

Exactly my point.  But I look at Garcia as the "wet band-aid" that won't stay on.........................................the field.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#44 : August 14, 2008, 12:13:27 PM

No QB on the Bucs roster has shown/proven they can play 16 games in a season.  They all have health issues or need add more bulk to their frame (eg Simms, JJ).

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BREAKING: BUCS BREAK CAMP « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools