Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Davin Joseph « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Wilson

Practice Squad

: August 15, 2008, 10:07:57 AM

I don't know guys. I'm starting to think that we made a tremendous blunder by drafting him in the 1st round. He got manhandeled by Kendal Langford a few nights ago. It looks like he has cement in his shoes in pass pro . He has also been very slow to recognize stunts and blitzes during his tenure as a pro. What do you guys think?

BucsnNoles

Pro Bowler

#1 : August 15, 2008, 10:12:20 AM

I agree.  He's never really impressed me that much, either.  Not sure why everyone thinks that he is going to be a pro-bowler this year......other than the fact that he was drafted in the first round.  At least we've got Sears on the other side.  Wouldn't be at all surprised to see him in the pro-bowl.  He is a monster in the running game.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#2 : August 15, 2008, 10:13:56 AM

I think he is a solid guard, but honestly you are surprised we messed up a first round pick?  Does Clayton and Cadillac not ring a bell?  The jury is still out on our man Gaines too.  Only positive I can find there is that he didn’t have a great rookie season so we don’t have to fear of a Clayton/Carnell let down.  Instead we have high hopes of a double digit sack season for Gaines.  I personally feel we will be alright with Joseph, Adams, Talib…but I just find it funny.  Let me know when we HIT on a first round pick and I’ll be surprised.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#3 : August 15, 2008, 10:14:44 AM

I think these are mental issues not lack of physical ability on Joseph's part.  To be honest I think Joseph underestimates how much quicker and bigger interior defensive lineman are at the NFL level.   For some reason he has these mental lapses which unfortunately holds him back from reaching his potential.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#4 : August 15, 2008, 10:21:40 AM

Since we drafted Brooks and Sapp in 95, we really haven’t had the best of luck with first rounders.

1996- DL Marcus Jones, DL Regan Upshall
1997-RB Warrick Dunn, WR Reidel Anthony
1999-DT Anthony McFarland
2001-OT Kenyatta Walker
2004-WR Michael Clayton

-The jury is still out on the likes of Davin Joseph, Gaines Adams, and Aqib Talib.  A case could be made for Carnell Williams too, but his injury makes it seem optimistic at best to think he will be our featured back again.  Clayton, if he gets over 300 yards this year, should be thrown a parade.  So basically we hit on Warrick Dunn.  But boy did we screw up the 96 and 97 drafts.  I mean damn we could have been lethal.  We could have had WR Marvin Harrison, LB Ray Lewis, RB Eddie George, TE Tony Gonzalez, OT Tarik Glenn, DE Trevor Pryce.  Imagine if we had Harrison, Glenn, and Gonzo on offense with Ray Lewis on defense.  Ahhh..

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#5 : August 15, 2008, 10:26:43 AM

So basically we hit on Warrick Dunn.  But boy did we screw up the 96 and 97 drafts.

And you can thank Tony Dungy for Dunn. If not for him pushing, pushing, pushing, they'd have drafted Byron Hanspard instead.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#6 : August 15, 2008, 10:39:16 AM

Since we drafted Brooks and Sapp in 95, we really haven’t had the best of luck with first rounders.

1996- DL Marcus Jones, DL Regan Upshall
1997-RB Warrick Dunn, WR Reidel Anthony
1999-DT Anthony McFarland
2001-OT Kenyatta Walker
2004-WR Michael Clayton

-The jury is still out on the likes of Davin Joseph, Gaines Adams, and Aqib Talib. A case could be made for Carnell Williams too, but his injury makes it seem optimistic at best to think he will be our featured back again. Clayton, if he gets over 300 yards this year, should be thrown a parade. So basically we hit on Warrick Dunn. But boy did we screw up the 96 and 97 drafts. I mean damn we could have been lethal. We could have had WR Marvin Harrison, LB Ray Lewis, RB Eddie George, TE Tony Gonzalez, OT Tarik Glenn, DE Trevor Pryce. Imagine if we had Harrison, Glenn, and Gonzo on offense with Ray Lewis on defense. Ahhh..

The thing about our first round picks the last few years is they have had superb freshmen seasons and then completely stink it up the next year. Nobody seems to know why clayton didnt produce after that first year. Caddy looked like an awsome back his first year. Then couldnt run a yard behind that oline where the defense was stacking the box. Joseph I think will be allright. If he doesnt play up to par this year then we done have to pay him tons a money. We drafted zuttah, he is going to be waiting for his turn. We will se how talib does this year. Not expecting too much since it is usually a lil tough for rookie cbs to break into the leage. Everybody was saying though that he was the most pro ready with his size and speed. We will see how he does.

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#7 : August 15, 2008, 10:39:27 AM

Some draft picks from 2006 and the position where they were drafted:

Holmes 25
Mangold 29
Addai 30
Ryans 33
Jackson 34
Howard 38
Colledge 47
McNeill 50
Jennings 52
Whitworth 55
Marshall 58
Jones-Drew 60
Spitz 75
Daniels 98
Evans 108
Washington 117
Dummervil 126
Landry 146
Anderson 159
Bethea 207
Colston 252

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#8 : August 15, 2008, 10:48:33 AM

You know what is funny about the draft. Everybody puts up grades for each team and they judge their draft right. Funny thing is only one team wins the superbowl and what is it like 12 teams make the playoffs. So that means that only 12 teams do a "good" job managing their teams for that year. 12 out of the 32 in the league did a "good" job of putting together a team. Those twelve teams do a combination of 4 things well drafting, front office decisions, coaching, and players translating onto the field. So shouldnt the 12 teams be getting the props for what they do during the reg season. Not what they do in the draft or what they do in free agency. Isnt that all that matters. Id like to see a list of teams who have made the playoffs and who didnt then we can find out who did the bad jobs in everything. Im not taking anything away from the draft it is very important. Im just saying that you cant judge the teams draft on how they are going to be for that season or even later. Seems like we havent been a great team drafting but we make the playoffs and when we dont it is usually because of injuries or poor qb play. 

acacius

Hall of Famer

#9 : August 15, 2008, 10:52:47 AM

Well, look on the bright side.  Conventional wisdom in that draft was that we would take Justice if he was there at our draft pick. 

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#10 : August 15, 2008, 10:56:58 AM

Im just saying that you cant judge the teams draft on how they are going to be for that season or even later.

The year the Bucs won the Super Bowl, Rich McKay's draft was:

Marquis Walker, Travis Stephens, Jermaine Phillips, John Stamper, Tim Wansley, Tracey Wistrom,  Aaron Lockett, Zack Quaccia.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#11 : August 15, 2008, 11:00:25 AM

Im just saying that you cant judge the teams draft on how they are going to be for that season or even later.

Marquis Walker, Travis Stephens, Jermaine Phillips, John Stamper, Tim Wansley, Tracey Wistrom, Aaron Lockett, Zack Quaccia.

exactly and you see teams like cleveland or kansas city get like A grades and they dont do crap for years. Everybody on bucs fan boards are goin crazy cause we had a b- draft or a C- draft. I will take making the playoffs over that A the teams that suck the next few years and not make the playoffs ever. Im not saying all of them do that but you see what I mean.

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#12 : August 15, 2008, 11:02:24 AM

Marquis Walker, Travis Stephens, Jermaine Phillips, John Stamper, Tim Wansley, Tracey Wistrom,  Aaron Lockett, Zack Quaccia.

That draft started in the 3rd round and Walker was traded for Thomas Jones a year later.  

Just for fun, we can post Allen's drafts from the 3rd round on since he took over if you'd like.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#13 : August 15, 2008, 11:03:05 AM

Yea exactly the draft it usually for the future, then it is for the upcoming season.  The Bucs have found some luck as of late yielding 3 starters in year 1 last draft(Adams, Jackson, Sears), 2 starters in 06 draft(Trueblood, Joseph), and at the time 3 starters in 05 draft(Cadillac, Smith, Buenning).  We have been real good with that.  In this year’s draft I can only see Talib being a starter this year and who knows maybe in the future too.  Zuttah drafted when we have Joseph, Faine, and Sears...Jackson drafted but we all know how drafted WRs do in on our team.

In 2002, who contributed from our draft?  Nobody.  And aside from Phillips are any of them still in the league?

AlvinHarper

Rookie

#14 : August 15, 2008, 11:04:41 AM

Not worried in the least about Joseph.  It makes for time killing bulletin board talk, but I think he's solid, and like a good wine, he'll get better with age.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Davin Joseph « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools