Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Yasinskas: Gruden says starting QB not settled « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#30 : August 18, 2008, 12:03:27 PM

People seem to forget that Greise was very productive with us. He seemed alot more comfortable in the pocket last  night than luke did. Greise can make the safe throws and the deep throws to Galloway(if he gets on the field) so I'm confident with either Garcia or Greise starting not so much with McCown cus it seems like he holds onto the ball too long.

You're just not used to seeing Buccaneer QBs with time to choose their options. Luke did a pretty good job and didn't force any throws into coverage. He's maturing.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#31 : August 18, 2008, 12:06:33 PM

I wish I as a Bucs fan had as much insight as some writer for ESPN that was covering the Panthers the last several years! :D

Seriously, are there more fans over the top after the 2nd pre season game than normal?

Could wild speculation be due to the Bucs closed door policy?

Garcia is the starting QB..

As for the other 4 one will be gone when the regular season starts. JMO

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#32 : August 18, 2008, 12:07:16 PM

a New England team that wasnt trying to win a bad as the Bucs were trying.

It only seemed that way because Belichick was so drastically outcoached.
::)
I don't think that you understand the difference between the preseason and regular season.

The ONLY way that Garcia is not the starter is if he's hurt.

Does that include feelings? I think he's faking the calf strain. The real injuries will come soon enough.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#33 : August 18, 2008, 12:07:51 PM

I agree that Garcia is the starter and that Yasinskas is merely running with a wild guess.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#34 : August 18, 2008, 12:09:17 PM

a New England team that wasnt trying to win a bad as the Bucs were trying.

It only seemed that way because Belichick was so drastically outcoached.
::)
I don't think that you understand the difference between the preseason and regular season.

The ONLY way that Garcia is not the starter is if he's hurt.

Does that include feelings? I think he's faking the calf strain. The real injuries will come soon enough.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#35 : August 18, 2008, 12:16:38 PM

We will see Garcia before the pre season is over.  Pre season is for evaluation of players that are hit and miss to make the team.

#36 : August 18, 2008, 12:24:47 PM

We've seen Griese before, and know what he's capable of... and its not much other than costly T.Os.  Either ride with the probowler in Garcia, or the kid who has a future in McCown.

Where does this notion come from? he's got 27 TDs and 19 INTs playing here, so even if every one of his interceptions went back for a touchdown, he's STILL scored more points than he's cost us.

Wow, a 27:19 ratio.  I'm the first to say that the fear of INTs is overplayed, and that positive production can outweigh the INTs.  But that ratio doesn't cut the mustard.  You have to at least have a 2:1 ratio before you can make that claim, and even that is iffy.  You're talking about a net of 8 TDs. 

And those stats are just when he was with us before.  He's also looked bad elsewhere.  The big problem with him is his INTs tend to be the worst sort:  They're not balls being thrown 50 yards downfield and picked, they're 2 yard outs at our own 20, they're thrown in the end zone after promising drives.  He's just not a very good QB.  He plays like a "game manager" but makes mistakes that a game manager can't.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#37 : August 18, 2008, 12:39:37 PM

Well in watching this year - it appears the Oline play will enable all three - or four - but not five - qbs run an offense that produces time of possession and even points.  So maybe those wacky buccs think improving the OL will have to suffice until some qb with above average ability shows up at the palace... kinda creating an offensive plan the will work with the least common denominator insofar as qbs are concerned...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

#38 : August 18, 2008, 12:39:56 PM

People seem to forget that Greise was very productive with us. He seemed alot more comfortable in the pocket last  night than luke did. Greise can make the safe throws and the deep throws to Galloway(if he gets on the field) so I'm confident with either Garcia or Greise starting not so much with McCown cus it seems like he holds onto the ball too long.

I fail to see how Griese was very productive for us.  He barely threw more TDs than INTs, and his INTs came at horrible times.  In '05 he was just awful, and there was already talk about switching to Simms when he went down.  7:7 TD:INT is not "very productive". The only thing that kept him afloat was the win record -- and that was all about the defense, and cadillac having the hottest rookie streak ever. 

In 04 he was 20:12 over 11 games.  That's a net of 8 TDs.  That's hardly "very productive" either.  Take a look at his fumble numbers as well.  He's been in the league 8 years, but his number of games played works out to 5.5 seasons.  And he fumbled 50 times (losing 19 of them).  That's an average of almost 10 per year.

When you toss in the fumbles, and look at his INTs, I think it becomes clear that Griese can't be considered a game manager.  A game manager doesn't make those mistakes so consistently throughout his career.  He's not a deep baller, or a gunslinger.  He's a guy who tries to play it safe and still has the worst sort of brainfarts at the worst possible times. 

He could be a backup in emergencies, but he's not gonna win consistently for you.  He's a hurdle your team has to overcome rather than guy you can "trust not to lose the game" for you. 

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#39 : August 18, 2008, 12:45:03 PM

If there is one stat that will keep a qb afloat it is wins.  LOL

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#40 : August 18, 2008, 12:47:57 PM

Doesn't seem like it.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#41 : August 18, 2008, 12:52:03 PM

Yea seriously Garcia did wonders for us last year and had these Wins you speak of, yet he gets little to no respect from some fans.  Griese went 5-1 for us in 2005 and 5-6 for us in 2004.  McCown went 1-3 last year.  Wins are important, I agree, but many don’t seem to put them into the equation when comparing the QBs.  They talk about arm strength. 

I think Gruden has fallen in love with Griese and Garcia better watch his back.  McCown played good last night as well, but I think he would literally have to throw a TD on every one of his passes for him to pass Griese at this point.  3 drives: 6 minute TD drive, 9 minute TD drive.  Not too shabby.

#42 : August 18, 2008, 12:57:23 PM

Doesn't seem like it.

When he's helping in the wins, it's a good thing.  When we're winning in spite of him, not so much....

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#43 : August 18, 2008, 01:10:47 PM

If there is one stat that will keep a qb afloat it is wins. LOL

Doesn't seem like it.

When he's helping in the wins, it's a good thing. When we're winning in spite of him, not so much....

We can agree that wins and losses are pretty important? 

It seems to me the only stats folks are impressed with involves his passing and tds, winning games is the measure of a team and a qb. 

#44 : August 18, 2008, 01:17:03 PM

I'm impressed with Wins.  Smart Bucs play calling, elite athleticism and dominant position play.

Stats? meh.

FWIW - My entire week sucks when they lose... (ok, not that bad...but you get the point.)

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Yasinskas: Gruden says starting QB not settled « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools