Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Luke McCown's stats « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 16

Lamond

Hall of Famer

: August 18, 2008, 03:07:47 PM

I've seen a lot made of Luke's 7-10, 79 yards passing last night and how he's the better option in some posters minds for the #2 position.

However, if you subtract the one 8 yard pass that Antonio Bryant (whose YAC improved McCown's yardage total) turned into a 33 yard gain, his stats would read 7-10 for 54 yards.... That's a 5.4 YPA. Vs Griese's 4.4 YPA.

My point being, if Griese was mediocre in your minds for going 9-10 for 44 yards, what makes McCown any better?

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#1 : August 18, 2008, 03:10:51 PM

It's Gruden's offense, not the QB's ability so much.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#2 : August 18, 2008, 03:11:34 PM

However, if you subtract the one 8 yard pass that Antonio Bryant (whose YAC improved McCown's yardage total) turned into a 33 yard gain, his stats would read 7-10 for 54 yards.... That's a 5.4 YPA. Vs Griese's 4.4 YPA.

Take away his TD pass and see how many TDs he had...C'mon now...

JC510

Practice Squad

#3 : August 18, 2008, 03:11:52 PM

He hit him in stride which was a big reason why he was able to pull away and get that YAC

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#4 : August 18, 2008, 03:12:12 PM

I've seen a lot made of Luke's 7-10, 79 yards passing last night and how he's the better option in some posters minds for the #2 position.

My point being, if Griese was mediocre in your minds for going 9-10 for 44 yards, what makes McCown any better?

Bryant needs to have the pass thrown correctly to set him up for a YAC run.  Griese has a habit of throwing the ball so the receiver is immediately clobbered.

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#5 : August 18, 2008, 03:12:34 PM

Rusty our offense is predicated on YAC. When we have YAC we look unbelievable, when we don't...you get the point.

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#6 : August 18, 2008, 03:13:52 PM

He hit him in stride which was a big reason why he was able to pull away and get that YAC

Exactly...I'm really not sure why this needs to be pointed out to an intelligent poster...heck, the downfield blockers deserve credit for most of the catch if we're going by this formula...

#7 : August 18, 2008, 03:13:59 PM

If you're gonna use stats you use them all.  You can pull some out, if they're not representative of the whole (i.e. drastically different than should be expected), but I don't that one qualifies.  Maybe if Bryant was sitting down in the hole you could.  But he hit him in stride in great position to make that play.  YAC isn't just about WRs.

And even if you take it out, he still had a better average.  I'm not sure that anyone used the YPA as an argument that he's a better option though. 

Griese's getting away with a style of play that he won't be able to in a month.  Before I can say I'd like him as the #2, I'd like to see him do something that he's going to have to do in the regular season.  Of course, he's as likely to throw a pick as a TD in the regular season, so he's not going to do that when he doesn't have to...

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#8 : August 18, 2008, 03:15:02 PM

A 1 yard dumpoff to the FB? You c'mon now. It's not like the guy put up great numbers.

#9 : August 18, 2008, 03:16:11 PM

A 1 yard dumpoff to the FB? You c'mon now. It's not like the guy put up great numbers.

Funny, everyone here seemd to think Griese won the #2 hands down with his little dump-off TD last week, but Luke's gets no Love.  Puh-leeze

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#10 : August 18, 2008, 03:16:57 PM

I think that Griese is the better game manager, hands down. I know some of you want to make Luke the second coming and all, but...where's the beef?

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#11 : August 18, 2008, 03:17:00 PM

I think only the diehard McCown Fans, which all seem to post on this board, only have a question as to who the #2 QB is.  McCown played well last night, he really did, but Griese is just too good.  I mean he has played 3 drives this preseason and 2 of them had resulted in TDs.  His first was in Miami where he had a 6 minute TD drive.  That was against 2nd stringers and the lowly Miami Dolphins, but this 9+ minute drive to open up the game against the New England #1s all but gave him the #2 job.  You may be in denial and say no, but come week 1…Griese will either be #2 or starting depending on Garcia.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#12 : August 18, 2008, 03:19:42 PM

If Garcia doesn't come back soon this could become a battle for the #1 spot.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#13 : August 18, 2008, 03:19:59 PM

Funny, everyone here seemd to think Griese won the #2 hands down with his little dump-off TD last week, but Luke's gets no Love. Puh-leeze

yea I dont understand the luke mccown hate either. I think they are both solid in their own rights. Griese doesnt go downfield as good as McCown does but he will get rid of the ball quicker and is great in rollouts. McCown is much more athletic and can throw down field. I dont know which one should start over the other. I guess those next few preseason games should tell us. So far so good for those two though I cant argue with their play.

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#14 : August 18, 2008, 03:20:55 PM

McCown played well last night, he really did, but Griese is just too good.

Settle down...
Page: 1 2 3 ... 16
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Luke McCown's stats « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools