Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Luke McCown's stats « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 16

kmitchell

Starter

#15 : August 18, 2008, 03:21:06 PM

"Griese is just too good". That statement will come back to haunt all of us. Lets remember, this is a guy who couldn't beat out Rex Grossman for a starting spot on the Bears. Lets not get to excited about these 4.4 YPA games, we have 3 QB's on our roster who can do that. Garica is still our #1, Luke and Griese still need to battle it out for the #2. Simms is horrible, Josh Johnson has no experience.

vladin

Starter

#16 : August 18, 2008, 03:21:41 PM

Why is Michael Phelps considered the greatest swimmer in the world?  He only won that one race by like a fingernail.  If he hadn't done that last stroke, he'd be a loser.

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#17 : August 18, 2008, 03:23:30 PM

I guess I'm not gonna get my invitation to the 1st annual "Insane McClown Posse" gala?

Oh well....

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#18 : August 18, 2008, 03:24:22 PM

McCown played well last night, he really did, but Griese is just too good.

Settle down...

Haha obviously “too good” and “Griese” shouldn’t be mentioned in the same sentence, but honestly man, how can you compete with Quarterback so and so when he gets 3 drives and 2 of them last for over a quarter of football and result in 2 TDs.  Couple that with the fact that he is a veteran who has had success in this offense before and Griese is the #2 hands down.  Of course, you will take my opinion with a grain of salt because I always debate against McCown, but that’s only because I view him as the 3rd best QB.  Believe it or not, I was excited when McCown threw that TD pass to Storer.  I don’t know if I could say the same about others when Griese was leading the offense on the opening drive.  And probably even some “hisses” when the camera man viewed in on Garcia.

#19 : August 18, 2008, 03:25:35 PM

I think that Griese is the better game manager, hands down. I know some of you want to make Luke the second coming and all, but...where's the beef?

Griese the better "Game manager" ?   Game managers are supposed to be guys who don't make a lot of plays, but don't make mistakes either.  Does Griese fit that description?  Lets look at the recent years:

Team     Year    Games      TD:INT
Tampa   2004     11           20:12
Tampa   2005      6            7:7
Chi         2006      6*          1:2
Chi         2007      7            10:12

Those are not the numbers of a game manager.  THey're the numbers of a mistake-prone QB.  Which is something we knew about Brian years ago, but people are conveniently forgetting.  Here's another un-game-manageresque stat:  50 career fumbles.  5 per year, or almost 10 per 16 games.  That doesn't describe a guy with the best pocket presence.  In fact it actually sounds worse than Luke's numbers.

People are acting like this is the first time we've ever seen Brian play.  We know what he gives us and what he doesn't.  Anyone who thinks he's gonna be able to just dump everything off and maintain drives on the regular season is crazy.  Teams won't let him do that to them.  They'll force him to prove he can beat them deep.  And when they do, he's every bit as likely to throw a pick as a TD. 

He's also played 10 years (88 gams = 5.5 seasons played though)

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#20 : August 18, 2008, 03:26:33 PM

They're the numbers of a QB who having to come from behind a lot.

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#21 : August 18, 2008, 03:27:02 PM

Settle down...

Haha obviously “too good” and “Griese” shouldn’t be mentioned in the same sentence, but honestly man, how can you compete with Quarterback so and so when he gets 3 drives and 2 of them last for over a quarter of football and result in 2 TDs.  Couple that with the fact that he is a veteran who has had success in this offense before and Griese is the #2 hands down.  Of course, you will take my opinion with a grain of salt because I always debate against McCown, but that’s only because I view him as the 3rd best QB.  Believe it or not, I was excited when McCown threw that TD pass to Storer.  I don’t know if I could say the same about others when Griese was leading the offense on the opening drive.  And probably even some “hisses” when the camera man viewed in on Garcia.

No, I'm with you...I said earlier both guys played well last night and their detractors will be grasping at straws trying to pick apart anything from last night...

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#22 : August 18, 2008, 03:28:02 PM

Caradoc, none of us will forget those pick 6s of Grieses’ but this is the WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY league and Griese is currently outplaying McCown in the pre-season.  Now that is of no disdain to McCown as he is having a good pre-season as well, but Griese is in the lead right now and until he throws that pick 6 we all remember too clearly, he will be the #2.  

We have a good problem to have 2 good back-up quarterbacks, especially when our starting QB has yet to take a snap in pre-season.

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#23 : August 18, 2008, 03:29:51 PM

I'm not at all saying McCown is not a decent QB. But I really don't get the over the top adoration some are giving the guy.

This is starting to sound like Chris Simms all over again.

#24 : August 18, 2008, 03:30:13 PM

Settle down...

Haha obviously “too good” and “Griese” shouldn’t be mentioned in the same sentence, but honestly man, how can you compete with Quarterback so and so when he gets 3 drives and 2 of them last for over a quarter of football and result in 2 TDs.  Couple that with the fact that he is a veteran who has had success in this offense before and Griese is the #2 hands down.  Of course, you will take my opinion with a grain of salt because I always debate against McCown, but that’s only because I view him as the 3rd best QB.  Believe it or not, I was excited when McCown threw that TD pass to Storer.  I don’t know if I could say the same about others when Griese was leading the offense on the opening drive.  And probably even some “hisses” when the camera man viewed in on Garcia.

you judge SoB's performance like it was a regular season game.  Preseason defense play differently for the most part.  THey're not aggressive, they're vanilla and soft.  Griese knows that, and to an extent he is "gaming the system".  What he's doing now will NOT translate to the regular season.  He's going to have to play differently then.  ANd you seem to forget how bad he was the last time he played here.

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#25 : August 18, 2008, 03:31:00 PM

But you're not judging McCown the same way?

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#26 : August 18, 2008, 03:32:27 PM

I'm not at all saying McCown is not a decent QB. But I really don't get the over the top adoration some are giving the guy.

This is starting to sound like Chris Simms all over again.

Sure...they're young, have big arms, Luke is actually more mobile...and if they could grab hold of the starting QB position, we'd be set there for the next 6 or 7 years...the constant QB carousel -- that ends up eventually landing with a guy on his way out of the league -- is a bit much for some fans...

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#27 : August 18, 2008, 03:32:40 PM

Return of the Lamond, I really could have used you like 3 months ago when this all started.  It was basically a handful of posters against me in this debate.  It’s good to see another person joining the “Darkside.”

Nah I agree.  If you’re a McCown supporter, how can you critique anything Griese did last night?  And if your anti-McCown, meaning you think Garcia and Griese are better options, how can you critique anything McCown did last night?  McCown looked solid last night; I just think Griese looked better and against the starters.

#28 : August 18, 2008, 03:32:49 PM

Caradoc, none of us will forget those pick 6s of Grieses’ but this is the WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY league and Griese is currently outplaying McCown in the pre-season.  Now that is of no disdain to McCown as he is having a good pre-season as well, but Griese is in the lead right now and until he throws that pick 6 we all remember too clearly, he will be the #2. 

We have a good problem to have 2 good back-up quarterbacks, especially when our starting QB has yet to take a snap in pre-season.

That's a nice phrase, but when you want to see how someone plays, you look at what they did in the past.  And Griese never played particularly well in the past.  And again, you are projecting preseason performance onto the regular, and it won't mesh, not whit what Brian's doing.  You want to know what regular season Brian does, look at his history...

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#29 : August 18, 2008, 03:34:27 PM

Luke don't have it where it counts...between the ears is what I'm saying.

He has very good athletic ability and a strong arm, but there's a lot more to playing QB in the NFL than that.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 16
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Luke McCown's stats « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools