Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Free Agent Rumors... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Shag

Pro Bowler

#30 : December 22, 2006, 12:10:00 PM

Defense is always more important than offense.

rocko23

Hall of Famer
#31 : December 22, 2006, 12:13:22 PM

i was looking at the Packers young O-line and they seem to be coming along but still taking their lumps, its my hope that our O-line will be better ofter this years experiance they really played some good deffences

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#32 : December 22, 2006, 12:13:44 PM

If we can get Joe Thomas and allow our QB time to do what he wants I think we have to.  Otherwise our 2 franchise DE's are going to be on the field an awful lot.

that's the chicken before the egg type of discussion. It goes both ways and my feeling is a good defense can mask offensive ineptness but again it goes both ways.

As Bucs fans we all can agree that a great D can mask the offense.  I think Freeney could do that all on his own when healthy.  In my opinion the main reason for the defense's falling off this season is Rice's health.  If he were 100% I think we'd still be a top 10 defense.  Freeney would give us that.  

Look at the Bears right now, they have a great D that is almost at the point of overkill.  The games they have lost they lost because the offense lost it single handedly.  Their offense is so bad that they would have lost 2 or 3 more games if not for a season for the ages by Devin Hester.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#33 : December 22, 2006, 12:14:58 PM

Defense is always more important than offense.

I agree to an extent.  That's why I want to spend gazillions on Freeney.  But it's not so much more important that you can ignore the offense.

Shag

Pro Bowler

#34 : December 22, 2006, 12:21:46 PM

I agree to an extent.  That's why I want to spend gazillions on Freeney.  But it's not so much more important that you can ignore the offense.

The thing is that our draft pick is right in that area for Adams, especially if we draft 4th. The Lions will take Quinn or Thomas, the Raiders will take Quinn or Johnson, and the Browns will take whoever is left from those three.

#35 : December 22, 2006, 12:25:22 PM

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/mock_draft.htm

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#36 : December 22, 2006, 12:36:44 PM

The thing is that our draft pick is right in that area for Adams, especially if we draft 4th. The Lions will take Quinn or Thomas, the Raiders will take Quinn or Johnson, and the Browns will take whoever is left from those three.

Right now we are 3rd.  The difference, in my mind, between the 3rd pick and the 4th pick is huge.  If we stay at 3 we can't draft Adams, the other players are just too good.  If we slide down some I could see taking Adams, but not if we've already signed Freeney.  If we get Freeney and fall to the 5-7 range then I would want to look at Brohm or Russell if they come out, or Alan Branch.  He and Freeney would destroy offensive lines for years to come.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#37 : December 22, 2006, 12:36:56 PM

I am not opposed to Joe Thomas.  Flip a coin as to which one you would draft (Gaines/Thomas).

Anways to put this disccusion back on track the Colts have two main guys that are free agents other than Freeney with June and Harper on defense.  So they have three starting free agents on the defensive side of the ball they need to reup.  They also have a ton of RFA's to sign (Jason Davis DB, Gilbert Garner LB, Ryan Lilja OG, Bo Schobel DE, Jake Scott OG, Jim Sorgi QB, Josh Thomas DE, Ben Utecht TE)if they desire.

Then they have to make a decision with Booger's contract situation.  His cap value increases in 2007 ($5.5m) and even more in 2008 ($6.85m) .  They could leave it as is but his cap value since it increases eats up some of their cap space for 2007 and 2008.  They either have to release him or offer him a new contract for 2007.

And then there is Corey Simon's situation they have to iron out as well.  His base salary increases in 2007 to $3.955m and increases in 2008 and 2009 to $5m. 

In 2007 the Colts have a lot of players with increased cap values. They are projected to be about $10 million under the cap.

Here is another perspective of the Colts cap situation for 2007.

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=149&p=2&c=588294

There’s little doubt that it will be an expensive investment, because the franchise tag value for a defensive end in 2006 was set at $8.8 million. Based on that figure, the 2007 hit will be an estimated $9.6 million dollars if the Colts have to use the tag on Freeney. That will wipe out much of the cap room that the team is currently projected to have for the 2007 season with their current personnel.

Or will it?

Peyton Manning is due a $10 million roster bonus in March, which can be converted to a signing bonus and spread evenly, adding another $7.5 million in room. You could also see a potential extension for Tarik Glenn negotiated prior to the start of next season as well to clear some space.

Based on current projections for Glenn, he will hit the cap for about $8 million next year, the final year of his current contract. If you’re wondering how much space they could clear if they release him instead, they could save about $5.5 million. But the team would still take a dead money hit of $2.5 million – and they’d have a void to fill at left tackle.

The Colts could opt to go the franchise tag route with Freeney for 2007 or front-load his contract heavier in 2007 because 2008 will actually be the most difficult year to keep him around. First and foremost, the franchise tag value for him will exceed $11.5 million (120% rule) in 2008, if he’s not resigned long term. Another reason why it’s going to be difficult is the impending free agency of both safety Bob Sanders and tight end Dallas Clark who can opt out of their current deals in 2008. Add a potential new deal for Tarik Glenn if they just run his current contract out, and maybe one for Montae Reagor, who can also opt out, and you’ve got a mess. So Freeney may be important, but so are Sanders, Clark, and even Glenn.

Dwight Freeney wants to be the best-paid defensive player or the highest-paid player in the league -- depending on what sources of information you believe. There is no doubt that he’s worth $10 million a season as the top defensive player in the league, however he ought to know that the highest paid player in the league at this moment is Peyton Manning. You simply aren’t going to get that kind of money as long as he’s on the roster. No team’s cap can handle that load without disastrous results.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#38 : December 22, 2006, 12:42:00 PM

I wouldn't mind that at all. Adam's is a freak'n beast.

#39 : December 22, 2006, 12:55:01 PM

I wouldn't mind that at all. Adam's is a freak'n beast.

Considering that order, I might like to trade down for another 2nd rounder, get Alan Branch and draft another top-flight DE in a draft that's deep at that position.  If we are 3rd, someon might be amenable to trading up for Joe Thomas.

Then again, we could just select Joe Thomas in that scenario...

jsunm73

Pro Bowler

#40 : December 22, 2006, 02:28:17 PM

freeney is interesting but for how much of price?i like adams but also,like alan branch more.if we could fill our need for de through free agency ala freeney,justin smith,the guy from kc,will smith,ect., then why not draft branch at dt?that would really strengthen our defense.a top tier de to go with a beast in the middle at dt.now that sounds good to me.i am not sold on another o-lineman other than a center.unless davis is that bad.we could use the depth for sure.still why draft joe thomas when the dt has been ignored for so long.all i know is that the bucs and us fans will be like kids in a candy store this offseason.i figure we can get around 4 top name free agents,3 solid guys for depth,plus still have the draft picks to reload the franchise for the next 7-10 years.the team can get better atleast on paper in a hurry in 2007.

#41 : December 22, 2006, 03:18:05 PM

They will Franchise him

They will be stupid if they do. No team is going togive up a #1 and a#2 or 3 for this guy...then they will have to release Harrison/Wayne or Manning and hope they can resign them just to pay his tender top 5%...they are already in saalry cap hell right now. The only way they keep freeney is renegotiate Manning/Harrison/Wayne...plus I dont know if there is any dead money on their cap from Edge James..

#42 : December 22, 2006, 03:22:43 PM

Our Defensive line would be SICK next year

DE-Dwight Freeney
DT-Chris Hovan
DT- Stanley Doughty (2nd round)
DR-Gaines Adams (1st round)

#2Linebacker32

Starter

#43 : December 23, 2006, 02:02:53 PM

They will Franchise him

Yeah that is what i was just about to say. They put the franchise tag on him and pay him the next season. Plus i dont think that the colts are going to let thier biggest playmaker on defense run off into free agnecy. They will put the franchise tag on him

#2Linebacker32

Starter

#44 : December 23, 2006, 02:08:22 PM

Our Defensive line would be SICK next year

DE-Dwight Freeney
DT-Chris Hovan
DT- Stanley Doughty (2nd round)
DR-Gaines Adams (1st round)

Sorry man but we probably wont get Freeny and those draft picks maybe one of then not both. Your dreaming to much. We probably keep White and Wymms and even with Rice's contract we still are under the cap by about 30-35 mil. So there is no real need to cut him because his contract isnt hurting us at all plus, if he comes back and has a great year next year then keeping him is all worth it. We know the guy can play so why not keep him and move Spires down to DT and white out to DE then our line would lok like this..

LDE White
DT Hovan
DT Spires
RDE Rice

now some of you would luagh and say im crazy but look at the potential there. we talking about two 10 plus sack guys and 2 very good run stoppers.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Free Agent Rumors... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools