Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Article on Lance Briggs and FA... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

: December 22, 2006, 09:09:56 AM

Read for yourself but I don't think they can keep Briggs around. They would rather lock up Tommie Harris than Briggs, JMHO but they cannot lose Harris and if they lock up Briggs and Urlacher you have tons of cash tied up in 2 LB's, that is not the most logical deal IMO.

"And in turning down the Bears' offer, Briggs no doubt had his eye on the reported seven-year, $54 million deal that linebacker Julian Peterson got from the Seattle Seahawks, including $18.5 million guaranteed. If Briggs got that, the Bears' pay scale would be out of whack and Urlacher's deal likely would have to be reworked."

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/182793,CST-SPT-bear22.article

Baghead #2

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 22, 2006, 09:12:01 AM

I would've loved for the Bucs to snag Perterson. I know the money wasn't there but he's a player.

With Briggs you're paying for a probowl LB, sign him.

#2 : December 22, 2006, 09:12:11 AM

If I were Chicago I'd lock up Harris first. Having an elite DT is more important in the Cover 2 (as we saw with Sapp). Anyways who better to replace DB than with a perennial Pro Bowler? Sign him plz.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#3 : December 22, 2006, 09:29:34 AM

Yes, to me getting Briggs would be the best FA pick up in the NFL. He is 26 years old, healthy and a big time gamer. If he becomes available I would accomodate what he wants, with in reason. He is a guy you can lock up and have at OLB and have a probowl player for years and years......we need it! Lets just hope he comes available.

Baghead #2

Shag

Pro Bowler

#4 : December 22, 2006, 09:48:20 AM

The problem is what do you do with Brooks? You don't spend 50M on a LB in our defense to have him play the strongside. The only way we should sign Briggs is if we are going to release Brooks. The best thing we could do for that position is to draft a LB in the 2nd this year to learn from Brooks.

#5 : December 22, 2006, 09:48:46 AM

Move Brooks to SLB.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#6 : December 22, 2006, 09:50:35 AM

Shag I agree buddy, its a tough call.

Check it out this way, how many stud, probowl LB's hit the market when they are 26 years old? None.....I think that is what you have to keep in mind. Maybe moving Brooks to strong would be the way to do this. If Briggs is there you have to take him sheerly because he is in his prime, is a bonified Probowl OLB and is familiar with our scheme.

Baghead #2

Buc Wylde

Hall of Famer

#7 : December 22, 2006, 09:53:15 AM

We all love #55, but do we love him enough to simply play him because he's #55?
Should we not always be looking to better our team?
Maybe some shuffling around would work, but if there is a chance to see Briggs in a Buc uni, you jump on it.

Quote from: Raheem Morris
We got to get better at doing something, and that is what we have to set our focus on and that is something to get better at. That\\\\\\\'s what we are trying to do right now.

Shag

Pro Bowler

#8 : December 22, 2006, 09:56:30 AM

I think you really have to work a position move out with Brooks. He is basically the leader of this team, and moving him to the strongside is a demotion. Brooks is really not that good anymore, but it's like when we released Lynch, only worse I would say. Briggs is an upgrade and I would like to see him here though.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#9 : December 22, 2006, 09:57:50 AM

I think you really have to work a position move out with Brooks. He is basically the leader of this team, and moving him to the strongside is a demotion. Brooks is really not that good anymore, but it's like when we released Lynch, only worse I would say. Briggs is an upgrade and I would like to see him here though.

I do not think it would be a demotion if Brooks is still a starting LB.  Being benched is a demotion in my book.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#10 : December 22, 2006, 09:58:38 AM

I remember starting a thread implying that Brooks should move to Sambacker, and I got FLAMED for it.  

Now it seems more plausable, doesn't it?

What other options do the Bucs have?  Keep the LB corp intact?

Shag

Pro Bowler

#11 : December 22, 2006, 10:01:06 AM

I do not think it would be a demotion if Brooks is still a starting LB.  Being benched is a demotion in my book.

Moving Quarles from SLB to MLB was like a promotion, so the opposite is kind of true.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#12 : December 22, 2006, 10:03:46 AM

Moving Quarles from SLB to MLB was like a promotion, so the opposite is kind of true.

While MLB has greater importance in this scheme than SLB from playing on special teams to starting at SLB it is a promotion in it self.   Brooks by starting can still be a leader.  A defensive position does not define a leader.  A leader can lead anywhere on the football field.

Shag

Pro Bowler

#13 : December 22, 2006, 10:06:56 AM

A defensive position does not define a leader.  A leader can lead anywhere on the football field.

That's true, but I'm sure the team is behind Brooks and might not be too happy about seeing him kicked out of his position for a new player. I'm not saying that's a reason not to make the move.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#14 : December 22, 2006, 10:07:56 AM

A defensive position does not define a leader.  A leader can lead anywhere on the football field.

That's true, but I'm sure the team is behind Brooks and might not be too happy about seeing him kicked out of his position for a new player. I'm not saying that's a reason not to make the move.

It if comes from Monte I do not think anyone would object.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Article on Lance Briggs and FA... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools