Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Article on Lance Briggs and FA... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#15 : December 22, 2006, 10:09:24 AM

Look brooks isn't stupid, he wants to win and if we could sign Briggs and move him to sam and still have him as the leader and heartbeat of the defense and team, I would gaurantee you that he would be game with that. Its not a demotion at all in my eyes. How many Lance Briggs are there? Its not as if Brooks is in the prime of his career.

Just bring in Briggs, let him see how Brooks carries himself, the team and the community and wha la...You have another Derrick Brooks when you thought you never could....Just a passing of the torch from one stud to another.

Baghead #2

flyinbuc

Pro Bowler

#16 : December 22, 2006, 10:33:21 AM

Alot of HOF defese players have changed positions late in their careers.  CB's to safety etc. When a speed guy loses his speed he needs to give way.  Brooks isnt stupid he sees it all the time.

thanson

Starter

#17 : December 22, 2006, 10:43:39 AM

Folks, we all know that this team is not going to be fixed over night. Most likely, we will still be bad next year. I would much rather draft a LB, and let him learn behind brooks. Use the money that you were going o spend on briggs and get someone who can who can get a sack (DT), then when Brooks retires, then worry about filling his shoes. He may have lost a step, but he is still a very smart player.

We have many other def needs: DT, DE, proven SS, FS and a good backup CB.

Lynch47

Hall of Famer

#18 : December 22, 2006, 11:12:49 AM

Why wait Briggs is there NOW sign him while you can

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#19 : December 22, 2006, 11:16:32 AM

Alot of HOF defese players have changed positions late in their careers. CB's to safety etc. When a speed guy loses his speed he needs to give way. Brooks isnt stupid he sees it all the time.

Exactly, Brooks is the consumate team guy and I personally feel that he would rather hand over his position to someone who can represent the way he has (Briggs) compared to a 2nd round guy that may or may not live up to his rep.

Thanson, I disagree. I think that if we were to acquire a few players such as Briggs and or Freeney we could turn this thing around, IF we play our cards right. We had a miserable year for a lot of reason however those reason can be addressed via FA and a great draft. Do I think we can challenge for a division, maybe, maybe not but I don't forsee us being anywhere close to where we are this year. Its on the FO at this point to get some guys that come in and INSTANTLY contribute on a high level and guys like Briggs, Freeney, Clements, Hamlin, Lewis and others will be available. I know we cannot get them all but if we can get one guy or 2 guys that will come in and play on the defense and play at a high level immediately, we can get this thing back. On offense its on the draft and OL and addressing our QB situation. Am I a Simms fan, not really at all, but he did win a division for us and if did come back why couldnt' he do the same? Just saying that in my eyes the light is at the end of the tunnel. We have beaten the salaray cap hell we have been in, we hopefully will be drafting a premier spot this April and adding one R1 guy and 2 R2 guys at least, we can get this thing back!

Baghead #2

watson

Hall of Famer
#20 : December 22, 2006, 02:27:53 PM

What about a different spin on this?  What if the Bucs sign Briggs and move him to WLB next year.  If you remember that was what they did with Ian Gold.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

#21 : December 22, 2006, 02:28:54 PM

What about a different spin on this? What if the Bucs sign Briggs and move him to WLB next year. If you remember that was what they did with Ian Gold.
Do you mean SLB? We won't give him big money and move him to SLB.

#22 : December 22, 2006, 02:33:15 PM

What about a different spin on this? What if the Bucs sign Briggs and move him to WLB next year. If you remember that was what they did with Ian Gold.
er........ah hell it's damn nice being Chris Rainey with all the entourage wanting to be just like me.

jsunm73

Pro Bowler

#23 : December 22, 2006, 02:40:01 PM

i think brooks should retire.i know it is hard to say that but you can replace him somewhat then why not.the thing you cannot replace is his heart.briggs might be close.if not there is a few good players in the draft.still my idea is to ask brooks to retire only to take over as linebackers coach.joe barry might be gone so why not replace him with brooks.who knows more about our defense than brooks anyway.i know it would be risky to let him coach due to lack of expirience but it would keep him around.plus be good public relations.as for briggs stepping in and helping the team out i am sure brooks would welcome it.he has been around long enough to know the business side of it.anyway that is my kooky idea.

#24 : December 22, 2006, 02:47:11 PM

i think brooks should retire.i know it is hard to say that but you can replace him somewhat then why not.the thing you cannot replace is his heart.briggs might be close.if not there is a few good players in the draft.still my idea is to ask brooks to retire only to take over as linebackers coach.joe barry might be gone so why not replace him with brooks.who knows more about our defense than brooks anyway.i know it would be risky to let him coach due to lack of expirience but it would keep him around.plus be good public relations.as for briggs stepping in and helping the team out i am sure brooks would welcome it.he has been around long enough to know the business side of it.anyway that is my kooky idea.

DB could still be a player next year.  He could split time with a young guy, or nto.  I agree that we should keep him around for as long as possible in whatever capacity.

watson

Hall of Famer
#25 : December 22, 2006, 05:01:30 PM

Yes.........hit the wrong key.  Why not?  It is being proposed to move DB to SLB....and he is making a pretty hefty paycheck.  If they structure the contract right, Briggs won't be making more next year....if as much....as DB.  If he is the future WLB then getting him under contract this off-season may require them to do some unusual things.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#26 : December 23, 2006, 02:33:13 AM

I think you really have to work a position move out with Brooks. He is basically the leader of this team, and moving him to the strongside is a demotion. Brooks is really not that good anymore, but it's like when we released Lynch, only worse I would say. Briggs is an upgrade and I would like to see him here though.

I don't think it's worse at all. Brooks will still have a starting job and maybe be a lifelong Buc.

The thing is, people still want to make a big deal about having Brooks on the roster and signing a big time WSLB. What about Brooks is a big deal? His contract isn't a big deal. Last I checked, his base salary was 3 mil and his SB wasn't astronomical. His play is no longer a big deal. Why is Brooks such a big deal? If he's the consumate professional that we all think he is, he won't have a big problem with moving over for a guy thats playing better than him. He's still in Tampa. Still on the roster. Still on the starting lineup. Heck, that alone shows he's got it better than Sapp and Lynch.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#27 : December 23, 2006, 02:44:56 AM

Folks, we all know that this team is not going to be fixed over night. Most likely, we will still be bad next year. I would much rather draft a LB, and let him learn behind brooks. Use the money that you were going o spend on briggs and get someone who can who can get a sack (DT), then when Brooks retires, then worry about filling his shoes. He may have lost a step, but he is still a very smart player.

We have many other def needs: DT, DE, proven SS, FS and a good backup CB.

Which DT are we going to give all this money to? Thank you....

Also, why wait until Brooks RETIRES to try to find his replacement?!

We can find a backup CB easy. We can find a proven SS easy. Even a free safety easy. DT and DE are tougher, but DTs mostly stink all around. If a talent in the draft or FA comes along, jump on him. But thats not exactly common. So that leaves DE and WLB, two of the most important positions on D. If we're looking at a pro bowl caliber WLB, and the money is there, pull the trigger!

This is why I pray every night for a Briggs/Adams offseason.

flyinbuc

Pro Bowler

#28 : December 23, 2006, 09:08:19 AM

Dbtb You mention DT as our primary need yet your prayers don't include one. May Need to lenghen your prayers.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#29 : December 23, 2006, 11:36:51 AM

Hire Brooks as a position coach and backup player when some one needs a break. He has played all three LB spots in the past. As a situational player he could contribute for years longer than he can fulltime a one position. I would like to see him take over for Monte whenever he is ready to retire in 5 or 10 years. DB will know when he needs to stop playing. I trust his judgement to do what's best for the team.

DB should remain with the organization as a coach and later whatever position he desires. I don't ever want to see him on an opposing sideline.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Article on Lance Briggs and FA... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools