Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Youre 53 man roster 2 weeks into Preseason(i know it's getting old) « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#30 : August 19, 2008, 11:44:34 AM

Last season we had 2 WRs that accomplished anything.  Galloway caught 57 balls for 1014 yards while Hilliard caught 62 for 722 yards.  The next guy in like was Michael Clayton who had 22 receptions for 301 yards, however 10 of those balls and 130 yards came in the last 2 weeks when the starters rested.  That isn’t denouncing anything Clayton did, but he didn’t catch those balls as the #3 guy.  We also kept just 5 WRs(Galloway/Hilliard/Clayton/Stovall/Kick Returner).  Can we really expect the Bucs to add Dexter Jackson and Antonio Bryant and not expect them to cut anyone?  So ok Dexter Jackson replaces the kick returner, but I think Bryant means that Clayton, Stovall, or Hilliard are out the door.

In 2006, Galloway caught 62 balls for 1057 yards.  Clayton caught 33 balls for 356 yards while Hilliard caught 34 balls for 339 yards.  Again, nothing spectacular.
In 2005, Galloway caught 83 balls for 1287 yards.  Clayton caught 32 balls for 372 yards while Hilliard caught 35 balls for 282 yards.  So as you can continue to see we seem to have only 1 WR really contribute with 3 at the most.  Our 4th string WR gets like 5-10 receptions a year and 100 yards or fewer. 

Is it really necessary then for us to keep 6 WRs when only 2 do anything, 3 tops.  Expect some cuts there.

FartMan

Pro Bowler
#31 : August 19, 2008, 11:46:45 AM

I keep running it over in my head and it comes down to Clayton or Hilliard.  

I really think Clayton gets the ax this year.

I think the D-line will have some tough cuts this year.  It would be sad to see Greg Peterson go, and there are some tough decisions at defensive end, too.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#32 : August 19, 2008, 11:47:31 AM

That arguement can be made for the defensive backs as well.  I do not feel strong about the WR unit on this team, so the more the merrier I would argue is necessary.

Bucs do not have a lot of quality so they next best thing is to go with quantity at WR.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#33 : August 19, 2008, 11:51:27 AM

That arguement can be made for the defensive backs as well. I do not feel strong about the WR unit on this team, so the more the merrier I would argue is necessary.

Bucs do not have a lot of quality so they next best thing is to go with quantity at WR.

The thing is…with the defensive backs you need the personal to match up when teams use 3-4- and even 5 WR sets.  If we only carry 4 cornerbacks what do we do if there is an injury during the game?  Do we put a safety who isn’t as fast in there to take over.  You need depth there.  Where as WR, as I posted above, we only have 3 contributors during the year, so do those 3 contributors all need back-ups?  I’m not saying we should just keep 3 WRs, I think 5 is a good number, but keeping 6 or 7 is going overboard. 

Clayton or Hilliard have to go and as Hilliard is older, he is also better, so it really depends.  And just because Stovall is decent on special teams, doesn’t mean he should get a free pass.  If I recall Sunday night he commit a penalty on special teams.  Special teamers are a dime a dozen.  Getting Sabby back will help our special teams as will the additions of Hayes, McCoy, Wilson, etc.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#34 : August 19, 2008, 11:54:17 AM

Stovall isn't just "decent" on special teams though.  He is one of the better special teams player not named Torrie Cox (IR) on this team, so yes he has a pass because if you are below #3 on the depth chart you have to contribute on special teams. 

FartMan

Pro Bowler
#35 : August 19, 2008, 11:56:40 AM

It is extremely rare that we have more than 3 wide receivers on the field at the same time.  So, I can't see how you justify carrying more than 6.  Especially with all the 2 TE sets we run.  I think ideally Gruden would like to carry 5 receivers, which has been the M.O, but he has carried 6 before.  

If they only keep 5, the cut is going to seem excruciating.  

The locks would be Galloway, Bryant, and Jackson.  

After that is anyone's guess... but I think you can pretty much bank on it, that Paris Warren and Michael Spurlock have no chance.

Madman

Hall of Famer
#36 : August 19, 2008, 11:56:48 AM

Clayton is still better than Spurlock. I'll be very surprised if he gets the axe.

FartMan

Pro Bowler
#37 : August 19, 2008, 11:57:23 AM

Stovall isn't just "decent" on special teams though.  He is one of the better special teams player not named Torrie Cox (IR) on this team, so yes he has a pass because if you are below #3 on the depth chart you have to contribute on special teams.  

Yeah, I would have to move Stovall close to a lock, because of his special teams play.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#38 : August 19, 2008, 11:59:19 AM

Clayton is still better than Spurlock. I'll be very surprised if he gets the axe.

If Clayton wins the #3 job that is true, if not though then I do not see it.  Clayton can contribute on special teams but Spurlock is a far more valuable asset for special teams.   If Dexter Jackson isn't healthy I do not look forward to Clayton returning kick offs or Hilliard fielding punts. 

Just my two cents.

FartMan

Pro Bowler
#39 : August 19, 2008, 12:02:30 PM

If Clayton wins the #3 job that is true, if not though then I do not see it.  Clayton can contribute on special teams but Spurlock is a far more valuable asset for special teams.   If Dexter Jackson isn't healthy I do not look forward to Clayton returning kick offs or Hilliard fielding punts. 

Just my two cents.

Don't forget Clifton Smith... he seems to excel in both those areas and could make them both expendable.

BuccanAy

Hall of Famer

#40 : August 19, 2008, 12:03:49 PM

Clayton and Stovall will make the cut IMO, and Hilliard SHOULD NOT.  Hilliard has maybe 1 year left and he wore down considerably last year.  He get no YAC just is no longer an asset to this team at the expense of a Stovall or Clayton who both are very young and have 8 years left in this league. It's time for Gruden to cut ties with Ike.  He dogged it at TC, at least, when I was there.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#41 : August 19, 2008, 12:04:23 PM

This is true.

If they keep Clifton Smith then I definately see the team keeping only five WR's.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#42 : August 19, 2008, 12:07:07 PM

Clayton and Stovall will make the cut IMO, and Hilliard SHOULD NOT.  Hilliard has maybe 1 year left and he wore down considerably last year.  He get no YAC just is no longer an asset to this team at the expense of a Stovall or Clayton who both are very young and have 8 years left in this league. It's time for Gruden to cut ties with Ike.  He dogged it at TC, at least, when I was there.

Yeah but why is he still listed as the starter?  I hope your right as I rather see the young guys step up and take the job from him, but Hilliard is a hall of famer compared to Clayton or Stovall.  They combined for 1 catch Sunday night and that isn’t going to get you on the coach’s radar, despite the balls thrown their way.

Bryant made the most of his looks and all but solidified a starting spot(top 3 WR), especially if Clayton and Stovall keep up their current pre-season performance pace.  As for Hilliard, he was catching all those short passes and that is also valuable in an offense.  I don’t know if coach has enough confidence in Clayton or Stovall to keep them over Hilliard for that 3rd down conversion.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#43 : August 19, 2008, 12:07:51 PM

Clayton and Stovall will make the cut IMO, and Hilliard SHOULD NOT.  Hilliard has maybe 1 year left and he wore down considerably last year.  He get no YAC just is no longer an asset to this team at the expense of a Stovall or Clayton who both are very young and have 8 years left in this league. It's time for Gruden to cut ties with Ike.  He dogged it at TC, at least, when I was there.

Hilliard is showing up in pre season play and looks to be locking down the #3 WR spot unless Stovall/Clayton come out of nowhere.

BuccanAy

Hall of Famer

#44 : August 19, 2008, 12:08:28 PM

Also, I agree that Troupe will NOT make the team.  He has shown NOTHING.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Youre 53 man roster 2 weeks into Preseason(i know it's getting old) « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools