Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Greatest Player in Bucs History « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

#15 : August 19, 2008, 07:27:39 PM

Sapp, without question.

Then he got caught with "vegetable matter" in his ashtray. Accountability? That's hardly being the face of the franchise.

The question wasn't "face of the franchise," it was greatest player. I'm with Hate on this one; in his prime, Sapp was one of the greatest players I've ever seen, period.

#16 : August 19, 2008, 07:29:04 PM

The question wasn't "face of the franchise," it was greatest player. I'm with Hate on this one; in his prime, Sapp was one of the greatest players I've ever seen, period.

I get a lil misty  :( when I think about what this guy brought to this team..... and the fact they we may never see anything like him again.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#17 : August 19, 2008, 07:31:54 PM

I get a lil misty :( when I think about what this guy brought to this team..... and the fact they we may never see anything like him again.

While LeRoy will always get my vote just cuz he was the first and I thought gave us a modicum of respect when there was none to be had anywhere.  I do know for a fact we'll NEVER see the likes of #99 ever again...If I'm honest you really can't have this conversation until another guy makes it to football immortality.  Everybody else is trying to get where LeRoy has already been...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

#18 : August 19, 2008, 07:40:09 PM

While LeRoy will always get my vote just cuz he was the first and I thought gave us a modicum of respect when there was none to be had anywhere.  I do know for a fact we'll NEVER see the likes of #99 ever again...If I'm honest you really can't have this conversation until another guy makes it to football immortality.  Everybody else is trying to get where LeRoy has already been...

He was certainly a great player. But he was quiet and reserved, leading by example. Maybe if he had had some better players around him...

Sapp, on the other hand, not only led by example, he brought accountability. He made the players around him better as well.

king_frog

Hall of Famer
#19 : August 19, 2008, 07:48:11 PM

Gotta go with Selman. He did it in the early day's when we stunk and he had little help. For many years Selman was our only threat. Because of this, he was constantly
double and triple teamed.
Now in the later year 90's, up to current Sapp reinvented the position and not only because of his play but with his attitude and swagger was the face of the Buc's. For a period of time he was the best ever.
Brooks on the other hand was the silent but deadly leader and the most consistent over a longer period of time.
If it sounds like I'm dancing !! You are correct. All 3 are dynamite and a case can be made for any of them...

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#20 : August 20, 2008, 08:27:41 AM

I get a lil misty :( when I think about what this guy brought to this team..... and the fact they we may never see anything like him again.

Problem is Chev is many of the Buc fans today never saw Lee Roy play. I grew up watching him, Doug Williams, Ricky Bell, and Jimmy Giles give Buc fans hope. I went through the disappointment of Lee Roy getting hurt at the Pro Bowl (of all places), Culverhouse low balling Dougie, Ricky getting traded and then passing away, and Jimmie Giles career end in mediocrity.

Those were GREAT, GREAT Buccaneers...but each year that passes they get forgotten just a little bit more.

gump

Starter

#21 : August 20, 2008, 09:50:56 AM

Depends on how your define "greatest".

Brooks is the best over the longest period of time.
Sapp was the best at one point.

#22 : August 20, 2008, 02:00:23 PM

While LeRoy will always get my vote just cuz he was the first and I thought gave us a modicum of respect when there was none to be had anywhere. I do know for a fact we'll NEVER see the likes of #99 ever again...If I'm honest you really can't have this conversation until another guy makes it to football immortality. Everybody else is trying to get where LeRoy has already been...

Problem is Chev is many of the Buc fans today never saw Lee Roy play. I grew up watching him, Doug Williams, Ricky Bell, and Jimmy Giles give Buc fans hope. I went through the disappointment of Lee Roy getting hurt at the Pro Bowl (of all places), Culverhouse low balling Dougie, Ricky getting traded and then passing away, and Jimmie Giles career end in mediocrity.

Those were GREAT, GREAT Buccaneers...but each year that passes they get forgotten just a little bit more.

Well this Buc fan grew up watching them as well and still feels that Sapp is the greatest Buccaneer.

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#23 : August 20, 2008, 02:02:31 PM

While LeRoy will always get my vote just cuz he was the first and I thought gave us a modicum of respect when there was none to be had anywhere. I do know for a fact we'll NEVER see the likes of #99 ever again...If I'm honest you really can't have this conversation until another guy makes it to football immortality. Everybody else is trying to get where LeRoy has already been...

Well this Buc fan grew up watching them as well and still feels that Sapp is the greatest Buccaneer.

And you are definitely entitled to your opinion, Hate.

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#24 : August 20, 2008, 02:07:27 PM

1)Brooks
2)Selmon
3)Sapp

JMO.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

Magnaccia

Pro Bowler

#25 : August 20, 2008, 02:13:28 PM

As soon as Brooks is in the HOF, it'll be him no question.

http://www.graphicdesignmoney.comMake $$$$ online, ask me how :]

samsdad

Hall of Famer

#26 : August 20, 2008, 08:44:23 PM

brooks...

biffbeaumont

Starter

#27 : August 20, 2008, 08:47:44 PM

Doug Williams. He was my favorite QB when I was a kid so I'm biased, plus he led this team out of the cellar and to one game away from the Super Bowl. So glad he's a part of this organization again!

#28 : August 20, 2008, 08:50:21 PM

And you are definitely entitled to your opinion, Hate.

No doubt.... thats what a mesg board is all about. If we all agreed, how interesting would that be?

Stratobuc

Starter
#29 : August 20, 2008, 09:29:49 PM

Sapp, without question.

Then he got caught with "vegetable matter" in his ashtray. Accountability? That's hardly being the face of the franchise.

Did he make 10 consecutive pro bowls while being a consummate citizen/player? Maybe my criteria is just higer than yours...
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Greatest Player in Bucs History « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools