Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Football Outsiders on Bucs-Patriots « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 8

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

: August 19, 2008, 04:23:19 PM

New England Patriots

Russell Levine notes that Tom Brady didn’t make the trip, and it’s just the second preseason game, but New England looked positively awful. They looked very much like a team with a bad case of Super Bowl loser’s hangover. The NFL Network crew spent much of the evening harping on Matt Cassel, and I think they were correct. It appeared the play calls were tailored to try and get him some confidence, but it didn’t work. I would not be surprised if he is cut before the season.

On defense, the Pats looked old and slow. The line got pushed around and couldn’t get off blocks, the linebackers and secondary missed lots of tackles. Tampa Bay backs were consistently able to get positive yardage after contact. One bright spot was Jerod Mayo, who looks like a player. He a did a great job attacking the fullback in the hole, shedding him, and getting to the ball carrier, while also showing the ability to drop back in coverage.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Russell Levine wrote about his favorite team: “This is the second straight week that Tampa Bay has played it’s ‘Death by a Thousand Paper Cuts’ offense to supreme effectiveness. There was a 17-play, 9:38 touchdown drive to open the game. Brian Griese was 8-for-8 … for 39 yards. Last week, Tampa Bay had two 17-plus-play drives, all at 4 yards a clip, it seems. They haven’t turned the ball over in two weeks and have had very few penalties. The offense doesn’t have any stars, but it has a lot of depth. Earnest Graham will start at running back, but I expect Warrick Dunn and Michael Bennett are also going to get touches. Cadillac looks to be headed to the PUP list, but it sounds like they do expect him back at some point this season. At wide receiver, Antonio Bryant made a statement in this game that he could earn some playing time behind Galloway and Mr. 9 YPC, Ike Hilliard. Michael Clayton again looks to be fighting for his job.”

“The Bucs offense is the only one that really looks like a West Coast Offense to me anymore,” says Mike Tanier. “Well, them and the Seahawks. They are the one team that I see throwing a slant almost every drive, a hitch or smash almost every drive, where the back leaks out into a route and he actually looks like one of the early options in the progression. It’s modernized, with a lot of new formations, including a little Full House. But I watch it and find it intricate, fussy, and a little dull. But effective on Sunday, when you realized that most of the time the best receiver on the field was Ike friggin’ Hilliard.”

“A ‘little’ dull?” asked Russell, “You’re being charitable. It’s exceedingly dull. It defines dull. It makes a Tori Spelling movie-thon on Lifetime look thrilling by comparison. It’s an offense only a fan of the team could love. The personnel doesn’t seem to matter. If the Bucs are on the schedule, the score is going to be 20-13.

“One of the most fun things in the preseason is that the cameramen are still getting into shape too,” Aaron Schatz said. “Tampa Bay ran an end around early on where Brian Griese’s play-fake to Earnest Graham going up the middle completely faked both the Patriots and the cameraman … the picture was focused entirely on the pile in the middle before the cameraman noticed that Antonio Bryant seemed to be running around the left side.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2008/08/18/ramblings/every-play-counts/6451/

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#1 : August 19, 2008, 04:32:09 PM

At least someone is watching the games...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#2 : August 19, 2008, 04:43:14 PM

I'd say that is pretty darn accurate. Agree Chev. Like it or not, the offense is extremely boring to watch at times, but deadly effective. Got to be frustrating for the defense to not be able to get off the field while being pecked to death.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#3 : August 19, 2008, 04:45:31 PM

"death by a thousand paper cuts"

That is hilarious, very funny.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#4 : August 19, 2008, 04:46:11 PM

I'd say that is pretty darn accurate. Agree Chev. Like it or not, the offense is extremely boring to watch at times, but deadly effective. Got to be frustrating for the defense to not be able to get off the field while being pecked to death.

What?

vladin

Starter

#5 : August 19, 2008, 04:47:31 PM

"�Death by a Thousand Paper Cuts�"

Best characterization ever. ;D

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#6 : August 19, 2008, 04:47:47 PM

"death by a thousand papercuts." I like it. Although the fact that Hilliard is getting alot of the receptions and getting 0 YAC is still frustrating.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#7 : August 19, 2008, 04:48:43 PM

"death by a thousand papercuts." I like it. Although the fact that Hilliard is getting alot of the receptions and getting 0 YAC is still frustrating.

As long as he's past the first down marker.

Bucs_Rule

Hall of Famer
#8 : August 19, 2008, 04:51:21 PM

I hate to burst anyone's bubble but if you think that Griese's little 4 yard checkdowns are going to work in the regular season then you are mistaken.

escobar

Hall of Famer

#9 : August 19, 2008, 04:59:43 PM

Bucsrule I hate to burst your bubble but if you think we are opening up the offense in the preseason then you are mistaken.

Diehart fisherman

Starter

#10 : August 19, 2008, 05:05:38 PM

I think if you think if he thinks your are mistaken!!!!!!

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#11 : August 19, 2008, 05:09:07 PM

I hate to burst anyone's bubble but if you think that Griese's little 4 yard checkdowns are going to work in the regular season then you are mistaken.

Hey, I agree.

MVP

Pro Bowler

#12 : August 19, 2008, 05:17:29 PM

I don't think the title of Captain Checkdown should be bestowed on Greise so easily. After all, it was Brad Johnson who was the original. I would call him Checkdown Boy.

Seriously though. I'm waiting to see what the offense looks like with Garcia in it. He has the balls to through the ball more then 15 yards down field and the mental quickness to know when to do it. His back-ups lack either one of those traits.

Now you can carp on whether he can get the ball there at 38 but we have to work with what we have.

#13 : August 19, 2008, 05:18:31 PM

I'd say that is pretty darn accurate. Agree Chev. Like it or not, the offense is extremely boring to watch at times, but deadly effective.

Boring? yes. Deadly effective? I'll wait til the games are real before agreeing with that.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#14 : August 19, 2008, 05:36:55 PM

I'd say that is pretty darn accurate. Agree Chev. Like it or not, the offense is extremely boring to watch at times, but deadly effective.

Boring? yes. Deadly effective? I'll wait til the games are real before agreeing with that.

At least you're open minded...LOL

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

Page: 1 2 3 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Football Outsiders on Bucs-Patriots « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools