Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Free Mandela! « previous next »
Page: 1 2

: December 22, 2006, 05:24:06 PM

Agreed.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#1 : December 22, 2006, 05:22:28 PM

Mandela-  Either say you are retiring or say definitively you are coming back. 

Your fans are clamoring for you go get the ball in your last games as a Buc.  But you haven't said its your last game. Nor have you said its not your last game. 

Now Gruden is getting heat from the fans to give you the ball because this somehow shows you respect. I'm not sure why, but thats what they think. 

The fans want to turn the Seattle game into one big Alstott slobberfest.   They will be chanting one thing:  Give A-Train the ball!  Lets hear the choo choo! And after the whole game is turned into a Free Mandela rally... then you don't retire? Are you trying to be Brett Favre?

If you come out and say "I'm not planning to retire"  then at least the fans will all settle down and they won't turn the whole game into a joke.

What if the whole game turns into a Free Mandela rally and nobody notices another guy with the number 55.  Nobody pays any attention to Derrick Brooks, that this might be Derrick Brooks' last game too. Our part time running back gets all the attention for no reason, when our HOF linebacker gets ignored on his last game.   

Who is the real heart and soul of the Bucs?  Is it the captain of one of the best defenses to set foot on an NFL field?  The guy with umpteen starts in a row?  The guy who has been a leader in the community, and in the locker room as well as the school bus?

But all the Mandela supporters can think of now is that for some reason giving Mike the ball a couple extra times would show him respect. And it would let the fans hear the choo choo.

If the Seattle game turns into a "Free Mandela" rally an it turns out to be Derrick Brooks last game, and he is ignored,  that would be a travesty that could never be undone, Bucs fans. And its entirely possible that Brooks will not tell anybody, because he's not one for fanfare. 

But it would still be the all time disgrace of Bucs fans if that were to happen.  Think about that, members of the Alstott National Congress.   

Mandela could avoid such a travesty simply by making one public announcement. 

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#2 : December 22, 2006, 05:28:34 PM

#55:  Greatest Buccaneer ever.

From Brooks website, posted before the Chicago game:

"Please hang in there with us.  I am very disappointed in our record, but we have shown some positive things as far as our team character.  I know there are no moral victories, but there are victories in togetherness and team chemistry.  I am going to be positive and finish the season strong for myself, teammaters, coaches and you the fans because god did not make me a quitter, so again I pray that you all have a blessed week as we prepare to upset Chicago in the colllld!!!"

#3 : December 22, 2006, 05:51:44 PM

Damn.....how can you not like DB?

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#4 : December 22, 2006, 05:58:15 PM

I don't get the Mandela reference.   Mandela is a racist.   I remember when we attacked Iraq, he said the USA didn't listen to the UN because Bush was a racist and the leader of the UN was a black.    Mandela is obviously the racist for making a ridiculous comment like that.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#5 : December 22, 2006, 06:07:56 PM

So you're dogging Mike for not ending speculation on his retirement one way or the other, but you're okay with Brooks not doing it?  These are grown ass men who don't have to inform anyone of decisions they probably haven't even made yet!

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#6 : December 22, 2006, 06:24:44 PM

Yes I'm dogging Mike for not ending speculation, because the Seattle game is going to be a fiasco because of the Alstott backers, not because of Brooks backers. 

As for Mandela, Java, I guess you need to go back a little further in the history book.

#7 : December 22, 2006, 06:28:45 PM

I believe the Mandela comment has to do with imprisonment?

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#8 : December 22, 2006, 06:31:34 PM

As for Mandela, Java, I guess you need to go back a little further in the history book.

I'm well aware of Mandela's history.  I've visited Africa many times including South Africa.   Just because he was the spokesman for doing away with Apartheid, that doesn't mean his recent unprovoked comments were not racist.   I've never heard Alstott make any racist comments, so I don't see the connection.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#9 : December 22, 2006, 06:32:45 PM

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/mandela/etc/cron.html

Its called an analogy, Java.   If I compare Alstott to Santa Clause are you going to try to tell me he doesn't exist?

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#10 : December 22, 2006, 06:36:35 PM

Its called an analogy, Java. If I compare Alstott to Santa Clause are you going to try to tell me he doesn't exist?

I'm still disappointed that Santa doesn't exist.   My parents lied to me for years about that.    Is there nobody you can trust in this world?   LOL!

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#11 : December 22, 2006, 07:37:26 PM

If Alstott intends to retire or return next season, he needs to inform the team of his intentions. It is the correct thing to do. He may have already done so, I have no information on that. But if he knows now and doesn't say, he should.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#12 : December 22, 2006, 10:09:38 PM

Yes I'm dogging Mike for not ending speculation, because the Seattle game is going to be a fiasco because of the Alstott backers, not because of Brooks backers.

Name one game that has not been a fiasco. Since Carnell has been shut down we might actually need Mike. What do you mean there's no Santa???

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#13 : December 22, 2006, 10:40:08 PM

Karen we will probably need him.  But I'm just cautioning the fans to beware of making a big hoopla about Alstotts last game, when it may be Brooks last game too.  Brooks is the greatest Buc in history, not Alstott.   

Brooks has not hinted at retiring, but he probably is at that point where he should.  And Brooks is the kind of guy who could just one day up and retire with no warning.   I don't think he would be looking for a farewell tour season.  So don't assume Brooks isn't going to retire after this season. Thats all I'm saying.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#14 : December 23, 2006, 09:59:03 AM

I still don't get it.  Why not dog Brooks for not ending speculation? 

I don't understand how cheering for Mike would make the game a fiasco.  Clearly Brooks has been the better player throughout their careers, but in terms of popularity, Alstott is right there with him.  In no way does it slight Brooks to cheer for Alstott.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Free Mandela! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools