Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Time for Alstott to go « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#15 : October 10, 2006, 05:49:10 PM

sowell is just as old as alstott is.  i don't get the folks who think alstott should call it quits now that sowell is here.

as far as those who think alstott on the field is a tip-off:
a) check how many non-short-yardage situations he was on the field for. you might be surprised.

b) it shouldn't matter.  look at a team like the vikings, they can get their yards even when everyone knows they're running.  good offenses do that, they impose their will when the defense knows what's coming. we don't have their talent on OL, but we have guys who supposedly make a living getting push in the run game

c) if caddy were on the field in short yardage how is that less of a tip-off? both guys can run or catch, the difference is alstott can block too.  your playcalling options are no different with either guy on the field on 3 & 1, and alstott arguably gives you more options.

ABuccs: i agree. like i said a few posts ago, everybody has been ineffective in all downs & distances.  i don't get how short yardage becomes a mike alstott issue

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#16 : October 10, 2006, 06:02:31 PM

Don't disagree with any of that BucINT20, but when on the field in non short yardage give him the damn ball - I think my favorite play is when Mike is in the up position and gets the quick handoff straight ahead call.  Caddy behind him gets all the attention from the D and bucs get the yards via Mike.

Being predictable does matter when Mike is used as the deep back on short yardage and goal line.  Need to make some options and use them, bc everyone know he is gonna get it and we don't have a dominating oline (like no one knew that LOL)

And Caddy is less predictable, at least the bucs use other options when he is on the field in short yardage and goal line situations. 

My point is the current use of Mike seems too predictable.  Give him a chance (which I support) or let him go (which would be appropriate if bucs are not gonna use his potential)  Not using Mike in a more regular and unpredictable fashion is one of the few issues I have had with Gruden's play calling. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

drywallbuc

Starter

#17 : October 10, 2006, 06:13:24 PM

mikes not going anywhere this year. he'll retire next year . said he was only coming back this year for a chance to run at the sb.

buy american
hire american
save america

boycott chinese goods

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#18 : October 10, 2006, 06:54:59 PM

What's wrong with predictable?  Let the whole defense know what's coming.  Hell, announce it over the loudspeakers.  Let them know it's coming and then ram it down their throat.  Nothing wrong with that, as long as it works.

WILLBLEE

Starter

#19 : October 10, 2006, 06:57:11 PM

Nice sig CP24.
One thing is obvious with the Train, He cant hit the holes like he used to.
Maybe the neck injury still lingers. :-

as Great as the guy was here, his time has past, I hope his number is retired in Tampa and i wish him and his family the best but its time to hang up the cleats

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#20 : October 10, 2006, 07:02:48 PM

What's wrong with predictable? Let the whole defense know what's coming. Hell, announce it over the loudspeakers. Let them know it's coming and then ram it down their throat. Nothing wrong with that, as long as it works.

... as long as it works. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#21 : October 10, 2006, 07:04:08 PM

Nice sig CP24.
One thing is obvious with the Train, He cant hit the holes like he used to.
Maybe the neck injury still lingers. :-

Holes?  What holes?

Larry Brackins

Starter
#22 : October 10, 2006, 07:06:04 PM

He should have been gone before the year.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

miamicanes04

Hall of Famer

#23 : October 10, 2006, 08:19:21 PM

sowell is just as old as alstott is. i don't get the folks who think alstott should call it quits now that sowell is here.

as far as those who think alstott on the field is a tip-off:
a) check how many non-short-yardage situations he was on the field for. you might be surprised.

b) it shouldn't matter. look at a team like the vikings, they can get their yards even when everyone knows they're running. good offenses do that, they impose their will when the defense knows what's coming. we don't have their talent on OL, but we have guys who supposedly make a living getting push in the run game

c) if caddy were on the field in short yardage how is that less of a tip-off? both guys can run or catch, the difference is alstott can block too. your playcalling options are no different with either guy on the field on 3 & 1, and alstott arguably gives you more options.

ABuccs: i agree. like i said a few posts ago, everybody has been ineffective in all downs & distances. i don't get how short yardage becomes a mike alstott issue

Difference is Sowell is in much better football shape than Alstott and certainly has more in him.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#24 : October 10, 2006, 08:53:25 PM

What's wrong with predictable?  Let the whole defense know what's coming.  Hell, announce it over the loudspeakers.  Let them know it's coming and then ram it down their throat.  Nothing wrong with that, as long as it works.

LOVE IT!

DBrooksIsMyDaddy

Pro Bowler

#25 : October 10, 2006, 10:54:59 PM

Holes?  What holes?

Exactly.  And it wouldn't be predictable if Caddy was not pulled out in these situations.  Mike is still a stud. 

I'm sure the people who want Alstott gone are the same ones that wanted Sapp out.  And look how well THAT has worked out.   [banghead]

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#26 : October 10, 2006, 11:10:15 PM

And don't forget how old & out of it John Lynch is. And saying Mike is old & out of it is blasphemy!!

rocketspeed

Practice Squad

#27 : October 11, 2006, 12:17:12 AM

Sad to say but I agree Alstott needs to retire. What aches me the most is that his endzone AIRNESS has become too predictable and because of that he's being stuffed. Can we bring Earnest Graham as Fullback? why not!? or simply continue using Caddy in 3rd & 1 situations. I love Alstott and he will forever be one of the greatest Bucs of all time, but it's time for this King to pass his throne to another.

agree?

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#28 : October 11, 2006, 12:24:49 AM

Agree? Only when he's ready! He was supposed to retire last year, but I didn't hear anybody complain last year. He did get a TD Sun. He was 2nd in TDs last year.

rocketspeed

Practice Squad

#29 : October 11, 2006, 12:27:54 AM

I think everyone here agress that last year was a complete different squad. This year age & injury has caught up with the Vets.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Time for Alstott to go « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools