Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Our own is one of the 'elite'? Agree or Disagree « previous next »
Page: 1 2

STRICK9

Second String

: December 23, 2006, 07:14:34 PM

Joseph is a stud....can get to another level and within another 2 years will be an all-pro.  I don't care what the consensus is, I thought it was a great pick.  Imagine had we not grabbed him......it would be Mahan starting.

BayDay39

Second String

#1 : December 23, 2006, 01:00:36 AM

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2706011

All Rookie Offensive Line:
• LG Daryn Colledge (Green Bay): A second-round choice, the former Boise State standout primarily played left tackle in college, but the Packers' coaches felt he could move inside, even though he lacked the kind of beef teams typically want at the guard position. Colledge has started 14 games, all but one at left guard, and has demonstrated good improvement as the season progressed. Although he's got a tough-guy attitude, he could probably use a little more muscle.
• C Nick Mangold (New York Jets): Part of the Jets' offensive line tandem in the first round, along with left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson, the 29th pick overall, and has started every game. Regarded as one of the top center prospects in the last decade or so, and he hasn't disappointed. Smart and technically sound, uses his hands well, and is a very aware player. Figures to be a Pro Bowl snapper in the near future.
• RG Jahri Evans (New Orleans): Played at tiny Bloomsburg (Pa.) State, a school far more renowned for its wrestling program, and was originally admitted on an academic scholarship. Played mostly at right tackle in college, but most scouts projected him as an inside prospect before the draft, because of his build and his in-line strength. Has started every game. Can beat up on people, but to suggest he's simply a mauler does not do justice to his overall skills. Not a great pass protector yet, but better than a lot of people anticipated him being at this early juncture of his career.
• RT Jeremy Trueblood (Tampa Bay): Gets the nod here over Ryan O'Callaghan of New England because, with 11 starts, he has gotten more playing time. Still has a ways to go, but has the body, the temperament and the tools to be a good right tackle. Long arms and a big physique, can knock defenders off the line when he is fired up, but needs to improve his footwork and his consistency. Has discovered, painfully on occasion, that you can't get by just enveloping people with your size at the NFL level.
--Len Pasquarelli

The Green Bay trio of Daryn Colledge, Jason Spitz and Tony Moll has combined for 36 starts. Despite the problems Tampa Bay has encountered this season, the Bucs will benefit down the road from having two rookies on the right side of their line, guard Davin Joseph and tackle Jeremy Trueblood, combine for 21 starts in 2006. Ferguson and fellow Jets first-rounder Nick Mangold, who has started every game at center, figure to be the mainstays on the New York line for the next 10 to 12 seasons. In the not-too-distant future, the bookend tackles in Houston will probably be Eric Winston, who has started five games, and Charles Spencer, who started the first three games of the year before suffering a season-ending broken left tibia.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#2 : December 23, 2006, 01:06:37 AM

Can't agree that 'Blood is "elite".  Elite is a term used to endear TREMENDOUS lineman.  'Blood ain't it.

He is a yeoman right now.

Lynch47

Hall of Famer

#3 : December 23, 2006, 06:41:33 AM

I agree hes not elite but he's developing and I dont doubt he'll be a good player

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#4 : December 23, 2006, 06:50:18 AM

I do agree that he's one of the best rookie OL this year though.   So I guess you could call that elite.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#5 : December 23, 2006, 07:23:21 AM

Elite? No.

• RT Jeremy Trueblood (Tampa Bay): Gets the nod here over Ryan O'Callaghan of New England because, with 11 starts, he has gotten more playing time. Still has a ways to go, but has the body, the temperament and the tools to be a good right tackle. Long arms and a big physique, can knock defenders off the line when he is fired up, but needs to improve his footwork and his consistency. Has discovered, painfully on occasion, that you can't get by just enveloping people with your size at the NFL level.
--Len Pasquarelli

I agree with this take.  True is learning the hard way that defenders on the NFL level are not only faster but stronger as well.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#6 : December 23, 2006, 09:49:53 AM

I'll say elite for rookies.  He's made some mistakes for sure, but all rookies do that.  I'd say on a whole though he looks like he's going to be pretty good sooner rather than later.

zellmiller

Hall of Famer

#7 : December 23, 2006, 10:00:07 AM

Man you guys are a tough crowd, he has done a good job for a rookie, who is playing next to another rookie.  McNeil who has shined is playing next to a 4th year pro.  I would guess that this would help you out just a tad.

Huge ego, not a gruden guy,  doesn't use MIKE.

coopsxx

Starter
#8 : December 23, 2006, 10:08:49 AM

and i know it was bonehead but i loved the emotion last week with the helmet throw, really something that a rookie cares so much about winning, even when the season is done and a draft pick is more important, especially to someone whose future with the team is as safe as anyone.

when he channels that emotion he will become a really solid RT. (still a shame that we couldnt trade up for mcneil but he prob wouldnt have looked as good as he has on our team.)

T

Hall of Famer

#9 : December 23, 2006, 10:50:53 AM

He is elite for a Rookie, and I see him developing into a solid pro much better than Kenyatta.

gone

Hall of Famer
#10 : December 23, 2006, 11:02:28 AM

True has the physical tools, he just needs the training.  Given good coaching (NOT Muir) he has the potential to be a dominant player.  I still wonder if he was picked to become the "effective LOT" for Simms' left-handed game...

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#11 : December 23, 2006, 11:06:05 AM

10 flags and 6+ sacks allowed in 11 games is really hard to get behind. He's playing but not really playing all that well.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#12 : December 23, 2006, 11:10:10 AM

Trueblood elite......funny stuff.   :o

acacius

Hall of Famer

#13 : December 23, 2006, 11:34:23 AM

I think he's done well enough that it's reasonable to hope he'll continue to develop into a long-term solid RT.  Sure, he was a long way from perfect, but I'm a Bucs fan.  At this point, my expectations for an olineman are very different from normal people's.  :p

Oh, and:

when he channels that emotion he will become a really solid RT. (still a shame that we couldnt trade up for mcneil but he prob wouldnt have looked as good as he has on our team.)

Goodness knows you're right about the last bit, but I say you think too small.  I'll say it's a shame we didn't take McNeill with our first pick and gotten them both.  And then maybe Evans in the third.  Ah well.  :)

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#14 : December 23, 2006, 01:36:51 PM

Both Joseph and True have played well enough to justify their picks. We won't know for another year or two whether or not we could have done better.

In Verner We Trust
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Our own is one of the 'elite'? Agree or Disagree « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools