Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mort reports: « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

Scurvy

Practice Squad

: December 23, 2006, 01:11:16 PM

Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Chris Simms' future did not look bright when his season ended with a serious spleen injury in Week 3, and many speculated it could end his career as the Bucs quarterback.

Simms

Instead, the Bucs are close to a two-year agreement with Simms that will virtually guarantee him $5 million in 2007 with a chance to earn another $1.5 million in playtime incentives, sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Counting all incentives and an escalator clause, Simms could earn about $10 million during the two years, with $7 million of that in base salary and a signing bonus.

The Bucs and Simms were hoping to finalize the deal on Saturday, Mortensen reported. That would take the quarterback off the free agent market next March.

Simms has been sidelined since having his spleen removed after taking several hard hits during a loss to Carolina on Sept. 24. He was hopeful of playing again this season until doctors told him that the earliest he might be able to return would be late December.

Rookie Bruce Gradkowski replaced Simms but struggled midseason and was replaced by seven-year veteran Tim Rattay.

Tampa Bay is 3-11 going into Week 16 with no chance of making a playoff appearance. They face the Cleveland Browns on Sunday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2707239

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 23, 2006, 07:05:11 PM

gruden has to work with what the qbs are good at more then he has...has to be a little more flexible ...sometimes a subtle little tweak is all that it takes.

His job and reputation depends on it IMO.

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#2 : December 23, 2006, 07:03:38 PM

hope they sign garcia and use the shotgun this year so we can take some deep shots down field but it all depends on who we get in FA as to who we draft,we could take johnson  the big wr or thomas the lt or trade down and take ginn and have another draft pick too.
     The shotgun would help both simms and garcia and even grads as they are all well schooled in that set,gruden has to work with what the qbs are good at more then he has...has to be a little more flexible ...sometimes a subtle little tweak is all that it takes.

ToddyBuc

Hall of Famer

#3 : December 23, 2006, 04:31:16 PM

How about having Simms as the backup, and bringing in a Garrard-Garcia-Harrington-Boller.. And have some competition..

I still dont think he is a lock for the starting job..

Bucs-Lightning already World Champions. Rays Next!!!

#4 : December 23, 2006, 11:43:49 AM

Chris Simms is close to signing a 2 yr deal with............... the BUCS.

$5 mil guaranteed in the first year and the total deal could reach $10 mil with incentives.

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
#5 : December 23, 2006, 11:47:19 AM

I just heard that. I think that's a lot of money for one year, but then again, it's only a 2 year deal and if he's a bust after next year, we aren't tied up with a huge contract. That would make Simms come into next year as the starter. As bad as Simms played, it was only 2 games. He came alive in the 3rd game when he was hurt. I am willing to see what we can do with Simms. While I don't like spending $5 million this year, if he flops, I bet next years contract isn't as nice. I also bet there's probably not much of a signing bonus.

Whoa...shiver me ****in timbers!

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#6 : December 23, 2006, 11:47:56 AM

That's good news.

#7 : December 23, 2006, 11:48:59 AM

I just heard that. I think that's a lot of money for one year, but then again, it's only a 2 year deal and if he's a bust after next year, we aren't tied up with a huge contract. That would make Simms come into next year as the starter. As bad as Simms played, it was only 2 games. He came alive in the 3rd game when he was hurt. I am willing to see what we can do with Simms. While I don't like spending $5 million this year, if he flops, I bet next years contract isn't as nice. I also bet there's probably not much of a signing bonus.

When you look at what else is out there, it kinda puts the Bucs in a bind. Re-signing Simms is like "the devil you know vs the devil you don't".

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#8 : December 23, 2006, 11:54:35 AM

It could also mean they may want go a different direction in free agency.

#9 : December 23, 2006, 11:56:46 AM

Adalius!!!!!!

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#10 : December 23, 2006, 12:02:17 PM

Chris Simms is close to signing a 2 yr deal with............... the BUCS.

$5 mil guaranteed in the first year and the total deal could reach $10 mil with incentives.

If Allen gets him signed for a deal like that it will be great for the Buccs.  Our QB status is weak to say the least and Simms has four years in the system. 

#11 : December 23, 2006, 12:10:48 PM

Good job Bruce.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#12 : December 23, 2006, 12:12:29 PM

Considering the deadline is December 30th I am not suprised that Bruce is working some deals before then.

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
#13 : December 23, 2006, 12:14:44 PM

Bringing back Simms gives us a vetran that knows the system. He throws a great deep ball and if he can return to playing like he did at the end of last season, we will be fine. This also makes it so the Bucs don't have to take a QB with their first pick. I'd still like to sign a vetran like Garcia signed to go along with Simms and Gradkowski. I think a lot of us got down on Simms because we set the bar so high coming off of last year. He played against some good defenses in his first 3 games. While the $5 million is a lot of money, if Simms plays well, then it's worth it. If he doesn't then we aren't locked up into a long term deal. One thing is for sure, I think all of us can agree that we still don't know a lot about what Simms can do in this offense. I'd hate to see him leave and then become successful somewhere else. This way we can at least get another look at him. It will give Gradkowski more time to learn, and the Bucs could also still draft someone.

Whoa...shiver me ****in timbers!

boredomkills01

Pro Bowler

#14 : December 23, 2006, 01:09:02 PM

Yes! I wished for more losing seasons from santa! and now with simms coming back ill get that wish!

I wished for you to stop posting garbage... but evidently santa doesent like me....

Good signing, if it happens,  I wish it was for a penny or two less, but better safe than sorry...

$$$
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mort reports: « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools