Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Simms & Bucs close on deal « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#45 : December 23, 2006, 08:31:21 PM

keep gloating now but when Simms lays a big turd again don't come crying here.

agreed, the SIMMS experiment needs to be over, time to move on.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#46 : December 23, 2006, 08:40:17 PM

It may be over anyway...

I think what we have done is force Simms to play well to get paid. If he does not play well he doesn't get paid. 5 Million gauranteed, that is nothing for 2 years....

Baghead #2

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#47 : December 23, 2006, 08:47:55 PM

MBF---You're just pissed cuz you'll have to change your sig. All you nay sayers can go cry in ypur beer!

You'll be crying as well after Simms bombs out after 1 or 2 games.

He has played more good games for us than bad games, I love how people forget that or just intentionally ignore it. The reality of the situation is that no quarterback out there whether it be FA or the draft will give us a better chance of winning next year than Chris Simms will. Not Rattay, Garcia, Gradkowski, Russel, Smith, Brohm, Carr, Quinn or any other QB I've seen mentioned here as a starter for us next year. He knows the playbook inside and out, has one of the best deep balls in the league, and when given time has shown he can get the job done very well. Look at what Tim freaking Rattay did against the Bears last weekend in what Gruden admitted was our best pass protecting day of the season. Had Simms had his entire starting O-line at the beginning of the season injury free who knows if things would have been different? I personally believe the romping we suffered against the Ravens on opening day rattled his nerves and gave him happy feet. Throw a good or even average O-line in front of him and next year we will be forgetting all about this nightmare of a 2006 season.

Sad to say there spanky Simms doesn't have a quick release like Rattay and wouldn't have hit some of those throws against the Bears. Look, last year Simms play was MARGINAL at best. The playoff game was his downfall. Did I want to resign Simms? No. DO I think it's best at this point, yes. Just to have someone who knows the book and who can compete for the starting job.

I hope to whatever lord there is that Gruden doesn't hand the offense to him again without him earning it. It would be disaster like earlier this year.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#48 : December 23, 2006, 08:56:09 PM

MBF---You're just pissed cuz you'll have to change your sig. All you nay sayers can go cry in ypur beer!

He has played more good games for us than bad games, I love how people forget that or just intentionally ignore it. The reality of the situation is that no quarterback out there whether it be FA or the draft will give us a better chance of winning next year than Chris Simms will. Not Rattay, Garcia, Gradkowski, Russel, Smith, Brohm, Carr, Quinn or any other QB I've seen mentioned here as a starter for us next year. He knows the playbook inside and out, has one of the best deep balls in the league, and when given time has shown he can get the job done very well. Look at what Tim freaking Rattay did against the Bears last weekend in what Gruden admitted was our best pass protecting day of the season. Had Simms had his entire starting O-line at the beginning of the season injury free who knows if things would have been different? I personally believe the romping we suffered against the Ravens on opening day rattled his nerves and gave him happy feet. Throw a good or even average O-line in front of him and next year we will be forgetting all about this nightmare of a 2006 season.

Sad to say there spanky Simms doesn't have a quick release like Rattay and wouldn't have hit some of those throws against the Bears. Look, last year Simms play was MARGINAL at best. The playoff game was his downfall. Did I want to resign Simms? No. DO I think it's best at this point, yes. Just to have someone who knows the book and who can compete for the starting job.

I hope to whatever lord there is that Gruden doesn't hand the offense to him again without him earning it. It would be disaster like earlier this year.

Exactly KOB, it give us another QB.

Is the problem solved, no. I still can see us drafting a QB and going into the season with Simms (if he signs) Grads, a vet and I think they will draft a QB, so one will be the odd man out.

Baghead #2

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

#49 : December 23, 2006, 08:56:16 PM

He has played more good games for us than bad games, I love how people forget that or just intentionally ignore it.

I guess if you consider 6 good games is greater than 9 bad games ::)

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

#50 : December 23, 2006, 09:00:51 PM

Hey this is exactly what I think we should do. 5 Million is not much and its a 2 year deal, its all escalators....

The deal guarantees 5 mil for year one with the ability for 1.5mil more. Not 5 mil over 2 years. Looks more like 5 mil per with the escalators to go to 13 mil over the 2 years, but he is guarantedd 5 mil in year one.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#51 : December 23, 2006, 09:04:14 PM

Hey this is exactly what I think we should do. 5 Million is not much and its a 2 year deal, its all escalators....

The deal guarantees 5 mil for year one with the ability for 1.5mil more. Not 5 mil over 2 years. Looks more like 5 mil per with the escalators to go to 13 mil over the 2 years, but he is guarantedd 5 mil in year one.

Yep right on. This is a good deal IMHO. Its on him to get his paycheck, we fork out 5 million.

Baghead #2

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

#52 : December 23, 2006, 09:17:16 PM

You think he is worth 5 mil guaranteed at 6-9 and coming off the 3 worst games of his career with half of that 6 thanks to a #1 D. Thats starter money in this league. He never played like a starter when given the job why guarantee him that in year one??? I dont mind resigning him- but think we over payed for him IMO.

I just hope it doesn't prevent us from filling other vital spots , not to mention bringing in another vital threat at QB. He is worth about 3 mil at most IMO.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#53 : December 23, 2006, 09:47:26 PM

IF he signs and that is still an IF, I think it spells the end to Simeon Rice and maybe Kely. So we get QB depth (worse case-and young QB depth) and they part ways with rice via trade (which I hope) or release (which I don't think they would do). We walk out with Simms, more cap room....

Go out and get you a FA DE, we will have ample money, its chess not checker  ;)

Baghead #2

redtab78

Pro Bowler
#54 : December 23, 2006, 10:19:05 PM

Are you happy now?

Anyone who thinks Tim Tebow will be a great NFL QB is an idiot.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#55 : December 23, 2006, 10:24:48 PM

Y  E  S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gharen

Pro Bowler

#56 : December 23, 2006, 10:32:16 PM

I think this may lead to the Bucs taking a QB in the first. They get Simms to play until the rookie is ready. If he plays really well then were in position just like SD was. If he stinks it up, we bench him and play the rookie. Sounds like the contract is not an overwhelming statement that he is the man for the next 10 years, but that he might be the best available option until a drafted QB gets up to speed. If the rumors are true of Gruden and Allen getting extensions then I could definately see us taking a QB in the first. I also am wondering how little interest was there on the open market that Simms wouldn't at least try it out before re-signing!

redtab78

Pro Bowler
#57 : December 23, 2006, 10:36:31 PM

I think this may lead to the Bucs taking a QB in the first. They get Simms to play until the rookie is ready. If he plays really well then were in position just like SD was. If he stinks it up, we bench him and play the rookie. Sounds like the contract is not an overwhelming statement that he is the man for the next 10 years, but that he might be the best available option until a drafted QB gets up to speed. If the rumors are true of Gruden and Allen getting extensions then I could definately see us taking a QB in the first. I also am wondering how little interest was there on the open market that Simms wouldn't at least try it out before re-signing!

NONE!!! have you seen this guy play? he cant make it over the Dline's head half the time, and the half he does, he throws it to thier CB or SS....

Honestly, I understand why we had to try giving him a deal with our current options......and I am a big Grads fan, but he just isnt doing what we need, but I would have thought that we would have looked at other options.......to bad we cant just open up some sort of a shotgun option.......then Simms might not be that bad, but trying to get Gruden to input a shotgun play would be like trying to get a SB ring this year......just not happening...

Anyone who thinks Tim Tebow will be a great NFL QB is an idiot.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#58 : December 24, 2006, 07:55:01 AM

Trade him to Detroit and Mike martz.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Simms & Bucs close on deal « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools