Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is vince papale's story all that much better than Karl Williams? « previous next »
Page: 1

Jake33

Second String

: December 23, 2006, 01:34:42 PM

Ok, i saw Invincible for teh first time last night, I couldn't get myself to watch it in theatre's because of all the Eagles BS throughout the movie.  But after watching the film (with LOADS of UNTRUE facts from the REAL SToRY) I was thinking, is Vince's story all that much better than Karl Williams?

The things that make Vince Papale's story endearing to fans is these facts

-Hometown player
-Eagles fan/season ticket holder
-he was 30 when he was made the team
-He was a bartender/teacher making him a "regular guy" to many people 

I think Rudy and The Rookie are MUCH more TRUE and accurate inspiring sports movie that are more impressive, but none the less getting back to Karl Williams.

I think what Karl Williams did was at least very compariable to how great Vince's story was.  Karl was an UNDDRAFTED Rookie out of Texas AM Kingsville that overachieved for years to bve on an NFL rosterm and ended winning a super Bowl in 2002.   First in 1996, he had to compete with Alvin Harper who the Bucs paid a ridiculous amount of money to.  Not only that but Karl OUTPLAYED Harper and got significantly more playing time than him.  Karl also beat out Nilo Silvan (AN ACUTALLY DRAFTED player that the Bucs really gave a lot more opportunities to) for a roster spot who return a KICK OFF for a TD in preseason and had a lot more speed than Williams.  Karl also got Special teams player of the month in November of 1996.

Not only that but Williams OUT PLAYED a 1st round pick and 2nd round pick who the Bucs were GREATLY pushing to become big tiem players in 1997 and 1998, Karl survived and lasted longer than Reidel and Jacquez and more notably worked a lot hard and DID A LOT MORE with the talent that he had. Then he had to fight to make the 199 roster with incomming Bert Emanuel, in 2000 he had to fight for a spot with Keyshawn, Jacquez and Rediel ALL who were 1st or 2nd round picks.  2002 came and Gruden was not a very big fan of Williams but his hard work and great work ethic and postive attitude earned him a roster spot  through 2003.  In 2004, he was even able to land another job with competing against solid WR's in Arizona with Larry Fitz, Boldin and even bryant Johnson.

Karl has played MORe games at WR than any other Buc player in history, 155 catches 7 td's.  And it didn't even mention his very solid punt returns in his career.  Not too bad for an undrafted FA.  Now what is the real TRUTH? Vince Papale 1 catch 15 yards career  the only major WR that he played with in his 3 years were Harold Carmichael and Charlie Smith.   

The point is that adversity is fairly commonplace in the NFL...  If Karl was a bar teneder from tampa, maybe there would be an different movie made.

Also, an admirable palyer was Rabih Abdullah.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 23, 2006, 01:46:04 PM

karl was a buc, the media creams for philly, karl is still just a buc.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#2 : December 23, 2006, 01:47:48 PM

I'd have to go with Papale.

#3 : December 23, 2006, 01:49:11 PM

Karl's a great story, but we're still Tampa Bay, big time media / Hollywood doesn't know Tampa exists (other than the Rookie that is.)

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#4 : December 23, 2006, 01:50:44 PM

Papale hands down. And I don't care if the movie is 100% true or 50% true. It's Hollywood.
It's entertainment. I was entertained and inspired. I'm trying out for the LA team when they
get here.

PS - I also didn't mind that it was about the Eagles. The fact that it took place in that
blue collar town made the story that much more impressive. Perfect setting.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#5 : December 23, 2006, 01:57:20 PM

I just don't see Hollywood doing any movies about the creamsickle days, unless its a comedy.

miamicanes04

Hall of Famer

#6 : December 23, 2006, 03:13:12 PM

Shelton Quarles is a guy I think you should bring up too.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is vince papale's story all that much better than Karl Williams? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools