Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Kiper's Take on Our Draft « previous next »
Page: 1 2

T

Hall of Famer

: December 23, 2006, 05:09:38 PM

Kiper is a idiot, wasn't he te one riding Mike Williams jock strap on the day of the draft?

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
#1 : December 23, 2006, 05:10:23 PM

I think LB is less of a need. If we had to go through one more year with Brooks, Quarles/Ruud, and Nece, their play will still be decent. The biggest thing is that our D is no longer putting pressure on the QB and our safety play has been horrific.

Even last year, Rice had a good year, but this year our leading sackers are Wyms and White (both with 5). The Bucs have had a double digit sack guy every year except for 2004 and this year. Right now we just aren't getting pressure up front. Also, our safeties have been horrible. Now, a good pass rush can help hide bad secondary play, but when you have neither...then you have problems.

I think we have to look at 4 positions with our top 3 pick (especially now that we will have Simms, McCown, and Gradkowski coming back at QB). I'd look at Adams (or the best DE available...right now it's him.) He should add some much needed pressure from our D. It also will allow us to deal Rice for another pick (unless they think he can come back and be a force again...if so...they could still draft a DE and have two great ends). The other options are Joe Thomas, a WR like Johnson, and the best safety available.

I don't think there will be a DB worth a top 3 pick so we can worry about that in rounds 2-3 and free agency. We could also get an OT or DE like Freeney in free agency so that could change things also. That being said...not looking at free agency...I think the Bucs can live with the WRs they got. We can't live with our D-Line or O-Line. Simms still could rebound, but our O-Line and D-Line isn't going to get much better. Again, safety isn't an option this high.

So, I think the Bucs will either draft a stud DE or a bookend OT like Thomas.

I think we all know that the biggest problem on offense is our line and QBs.

Whoa...shiver me ****in timbers!

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#2 : December 23, 2006, 04:54:05 PM

If he thinks that a lack of a pass rush, no safeties, lack of depth at running back, no legit return guy, below averaging QB play, lack of speed beyond Galloway at WR, etc. is no glaring needs then he's been smoking his hairpiece!

In Verner We Trust

#3 : December 23, 2006, 06:47:36 PM

Mel Kiper is the guy who makes his "final mock draft" after the actual draft. And he still gets some of the picks wrong.

bryan12112

Starter

#4 : December 23, 2006, 06:33:18 PM

I don't see the Bucs drafting offensive line within the first three rounds. I think the Bucs really like what they have in place already. Yeah, they know they could do better at a couple of the o-line positions, but they should only improve as Joseph and Trueblood gain valuable experience, and with a healthy Buenning ready to go next season. There are more glaring needs on the rest of the roster.

If Simms is officially back, top 3 needs, IMO: #1 - Defensive End, #2 - Free Safety, #3 - Wide Receiver (Clayton and Stovall have the potential, but you can't rely on potential forever -- we need a good player NOW, alongside Galloway)

T

Hall of Famer

#5 : December 23, 2006, 05:24:52 PM

If they are thinking of resigning Simms, it looks like their options should be Joe Thomas,Calvin Johnson or Gaines Adams..No LB or DB is worth a Top 5 pick unless they have a killer combine.

#6 : December 23, 2006, 06:33:40 PM

The Raiders won't waste their pick on another wide receiver. They need a quarterback, massive o-line help, and possibly even a running back. Also, I don't think the Bucs can pass up the talent of a Calvin Johnson or Dwayne Jarret for a d-end. Look at what happened with the Texans when they took Mario Williams over Vince Young and Reggie Bush. Williams was supposed to be the next Julius Peppers, and even if he turns out to be that good, Bush and Young will be much more valuable commodities. The Bucs have to go wide receiver here.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#7 : December 23, 2006, 06:07:56 PM

Now a lot can change when juniors announce they are coming out, but still, I don't think that's going to change what we do.

Thats true. Kiper doesn't even put them in his rankings. But as for no glaring needs?  How can you be 3-11 with no glaring needs?  We have so many glaring needs I gotta wear shades!

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
#8 : December 23, 2006, 05:49:17 PM

Now a lot can change when juniors announce they are coming out, but still, I don't think that's going to change what we do.

We will have all of our QB's coming back. Gradkowski will be here and the Bucs are about to resign Simms. That leaves one more roster spot. Now, they will either bring McCown back or they can sign a vetran like a Garcia or draft a QB. With 2 young QBs (Simms and Gradkowski) already on the roster, I really don't think the Bucs will draft a QB this year (at least not with our top pick.) I also don't think they will be able to sign someone like Garcia. He will want to go to a place where he knows he can start.

There are a couple of DBs that are ranked in the top 10, but no safety is ranked in the top 5. If the Bucs really want a safety with that pick, then they should trade down to picks 5-10. I don't see that happening unless someone like Brady Quinn slips to us and someone freaks out and wants to trade up.

I really think the Bucs will use their top pick on either a defensive lineman or Joe Thomas. No other O-Lineman is worth that pick. There are a couple of D-Lineman that might be worth that pick. They are Gaines Adams and maybe Amobi Okoye. The latter kid is a freak and is only 19, but that also scares me.

Finally the last option is WR. I think Charles Johnson is gone to the Raiders (especially if the Lions have the top pick and draft Quinn). The next 2 WRs on the board would be Ginn Jr. and Samardzija. I don't think either are top 5 picks.

I'd rather gamble on a stud DE or OT. Many say that we have had busts on the O-Line in the past...well we have to change our luck at some point. I'd love to see Thomas come in or one of those defensive linemen. You win games on the front lines and we still have work to do there.

Whoa...shiver me ****in timbers!

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#9 : December 23, 2006, 02:53:11 PM

Considering the fact that they will have a top five pick, do you think the Buccaneers are going to go after a quarterback, or do you see another position they might target? -- John, Port Charlotte, Fla.

Kiper: No, I really don't see them going after a QB. They need offensive firepower and an upgrade along the offensive line. Tampa Bay could look for a wide receiver and defensively they could look for a lineman as well as help in the secondary. There are a lot of different ways they can go with their first pick, but quarterback isn't going to be one of them. Tampa Bay doesn't have glaring needs, but they need some juice and young players on defense. If they don't bring Chris Simms back, the Bucs still have Bruce Gradkowski and they have to decide if he's their QB going forward. Also, is Jon Gruden going to be back, because he's a Gradkowski supporter.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#10 : December 23, 2006, 02:54:29 PM

Basically he said, "I don't know."

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#11 : December 23, 2006, 02:59:11 PM

Tampa Bay doesn't have glaring needs,

This guy is clueless.

miamicanes04

Hall of Famer

#12 : December 23, 2006, 03:07:04 PM

Honestly we don't though guys. There are alot of positions that are equally bad.

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#13 : December 23, 2006, 03:14:36 PM

So we have so many needs that none them are glaring?  I don't think that's what Kiper meant but I agree with you if that's your point.

flyinbuc

Pro Bowler
#14 : December 23, 2006, 03:29:25 PM

All he said basically is that he doesn't think we will go QB in the 1st and blah blah blah
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Kiper's Take on Our Draft « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools