Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs have the 'best WR duo in NFC South' « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

: August 26, 2008, 09:19:00 PM

That article was good for comic relief. I'd trade Galloway, Hilliard, and hell.... throw in Clayton for Colston.

No you wouldn't, that's straight stupid.

I actually agree with the guy.

Dex, Colston, Bryant >>>> Galloway, Hilliard Clayton

Warthog

Pro Bowler

#1 : August 26, 2008, 08:41:03 PM

Apparently we do, according to ESPN's Pat Yasinskas. Pretty surprising seeing as he's a Carolina homer and just can't get enough of the Saints these days.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcsouth/0-2-117/Picking-the-NFC-South-s-best-WR-duo.html

NFC North colleague Kevin Seifert had an item earlier today in which Detroit Roy Williams declares himself and Calvin Johnson as the NFL's third-best receiving duo.

Around these parts, that leads to the obvious question: What's the best receiving duo in the NFC South? It's a tough question because there's a flaw or potential flaw for each of the four teams.

If this were four or five years ago, I'd go with Carolina's Steve Smith and Muhsin Muhammad in a heartbeat. But I can't really do that now. Smith is the division's best receiver, but he's suspended for the first two games. Muhammad was very good in his previous stint with Carolina, but he was quiet in Chicago last season (although the quarterback situation probably had a lot to do with that). Plus, Muhammad is 35 and he's got to slow down at some point. At this moment, we don't even know who will start opposite Muhammad in the first two games. It could be D.J. Hackett, who's missed a lot of time with injury or it could be Dwayne Jarrett, who has had a nice preseason, but didn't do anything as a rookie last year.

New Orleans' Marques Colston is an elite receiver, but he's dragged down by his supporting cast. It looks like Devery Henderson is the favorite to be the No. 2 receiver right now, but he's got a history of dropping passes. I know Colston and Jeremy Shockey might be the division's best 1-2 punch, but Shockey is a tight end and that eliminates him from this conversation.

Atlanta has a rising star in Roddy White, but uncertainty at the No. 2 spot. Laurent Robinson fell out of favor and it looks like Michael Jenkins will start. Jenkins isn't a bad receiver, but he's probably best suited to be a No. 3 or No. 4 guy.

That leaves Tampa Bay, where Joey Galloway and Ike Hilliard combine to be about 312 years old. The issue of age aside, I'm going to give this duo the nod simply because it's the safest in the division. Although Galloway has missed just about all of the preseason, he'll be rested and ready on opening day. Galloway is still a 1,000-yard receiver and Hilliard is dependable.

That's more than any other duo in the division can say. Again, that is my pick right this moment and the receiving corps are very much in flux in this division. We'll revisit this and probably have a totally different answer a month or two into the season.

I'm not normally a fan of the guy's writing (or opinions), but he has a point - there's been a lot of fretting and worry about our WRs, but maybe things ain't as bad as they seem.

I leave at first light, headed North. Well do I recognize that I did not cover myself in glory. But never did I dream that for my failures I would be exiled. - the diary of Gen. L. P. McCown

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#2 : August 26, 2008, 08:42:41 PM

I'd trade our WR corps straight up for Atlanta's in a heartbeat.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#3 : August 26, 2008, 08:44:13 PM

oh man, hell no.

Shoddy White might be the only worth anything at this point.

flyinbuc

Pro Bowler
#4 : August 26, 2008, 08:46:11 PM

IMO that would be an extremely poor trade

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#5 : August 26, 2008, 08:47:24 PM

Steve Smith, Mushin Muhhamid.......

MBF

Hall of Famer

#6 : August 26, 2008, 08:59:57 PM

"Bucs have the 'best WR duo in NFC South'"-almost like saying whose crap smells the least?

#7 : August 26, 2008, 09:02:20 PM

"Bucs have the 'best WR duo in NFC South'"-almost like saying whose crap smells the least?

That article was good for comic relief. I'd trade Galloway, Hilliard, and hell.... throw in Clayton for Colston.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#8 : August 26, 2008, 09:14:10 PM

HughC

Pro Bowler

#9 : August 26, 2008, 09:16:47 PM

I don't quite follow Yasinskas' inconsistent logic where he says "Muhammad is 35 and he's got to slow down at some point" and then goes on to say it's safe to ignore the age of not one, but two Bucs receivers (Galloway and Hilliard).  Then to discount Shockey because he is a Tight End is unreasonable.  There are plenty of NFL teams (Chargers, Cowboys, Chiefs, etc.) that extensively use the Tight End in their passing game - even if the two teams Yasinskas has covered the last decade don't.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#10 : August 26, 2008, 09:19:24 PM

Straight stupid was drafting Clayton in the first place. ;)

#11 : August 26, 2008, 09:27:01 PM

You're jokin rite?

You keep Galloway, Hilliard, and Clayton and give me Colston, Bryant and Stovall.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#12 : August 26, 2008, 09:48:27 PM

You're jokin rite?

You keep Galloway, Hilliard, and Clayton and give me Colston, Bryant and Stovall.

I thought you meant the entire WR corp - forgot about Bryant and Stovall.

Actually yes, I would do that. My bad, I've only seen those three the past 4 years.

Magnaccia

Pro Bowler

#13 : August 26, 2008, 09:50:58 PM

I don't quite follow Yasinskas' inconsistent logic where he says "Muhammad is 35 and he's got to slow down at some point" and then goes on to say it's safe to ignore the age of not one, but two Bucs receivers (Galloway and Hilliard).  Then to discount Shockey because he is a Tight End is unreasonable.  There are plenty of NFL teams (Chargers, Cowboys, Chiefs, etc.) that extensively use the Tight End in their passing game - even if the two teams Yasinskas has covered the last decade don't.

I'd say the logic is pretty consistent when you eliminate a tight end from the conversation of who's got the best wide receiver duo.

http://www.graphicdesignmoney.comMake $$$$ online, ask me how :]

Warthog

Pro Bowler

#14 : August 26, 2008, 09:51:38 PM

I think 90% of what Yasinskas writes is garbage, and this is really no exception. There's a lot of other ingredients in a successful passing game than just how 'good' the two starting WRs are. QB play, OL play, how well the running game is going etc.  He may think Galloway and Hilliard are the best duo in the division, but surely it's a no-brainer that the Saints will be more of an aerial threat than the Bucs.  

I thought the article might provoke a bit of debate though :P

I leave at first light, headed North. Well do I recognize that I did not cover myself in glory. But never did I dream that for my failures I would be exiled. - the diary of Gen. L. P. McCown
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs have the 'best WR duo in NFC South' « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools